Hemoroidectomy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Has anyone undergone this procedure and can give some advice please. Surgeon has told me he will only remove 1 to 2 hemoroids at most per surgery as they are in a ring. This means that unless there is a significant change after removing 1 or 2 at most that I would require 2 surgeries. He also said he couldn't tell me whether he will close the wounds or leave them open. And wouldn't decide until the day of surgery. He also told me the risk of incontinence was around 10% but everything else I've read is far lower. Any advice would be great

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I had two external haemorrhoids removed last March. I had the same comments from my consultant about deciding on the day about the actual procedure. As it turns out the wound were left open. He also repaired (stitched) a minor prolapse. The operation went well and, when I had the follow up examination after 4 weeks, it was declared totally healed. However, all did not go well.

The pain in the days after the operation was extreme and my body reacted badly. Five days after the op I was taken into A&E will urine retention and a catheter was fitted for 5 weeks! I also had a faecal blockage and underwent an emergency procedure under a full anaesthetic to remove it. I was in hospital for 5 nights. All in all, not a good time and I felt the consultant undersold the post op problems. I did eventually get sorted but it took a lot longer than I expected.

The good news is, it will get better, just hang in there.

Top tips

* Above all else, make sure you are not constipated before the operation; it will make it much easier afterwards.

* Buy a portable bidet (sometimes called sitz bath). It will provide much needed relief as well as keeping you clean. Just a few pounds on Amazon.

* Take all the pain killers you can!

Good luck!

• Posted

Can I ask where did you get your operation done ? I am going into hospital on Monday for mine.
  • Posted

Where did you get your operation done? I am going into hospital on Monday for mine.
  • Posted

Hi Tam, I had all three of mine done at once just over four weeks ago. They tried banding first and then they would only do two. It didn’t work anyway. If you are having a hemorrhoidectomy under general anaesthetic I don’t understand why he wouldn’t do all at once. If that is the case I would ask for a second opinion. You do Not want to go through this op twice hon, let me assure you!! That’s just my advice, hope you get it sorted soon. Happy to answer any other questions, teresa xx
    • Posted

Hi thanks for you reply. He said it would increase the risk of stenosis if he did them all!

How have you been coping with the pain and how are things with you?

• Posted

I’m five weeks after op, and this has been my first week back at work. I’m pretty much back to normal. Bm’ s uncomfortable but not painful any more, so you WILL feel better. The pain at the beginning for first two weeks is awful and there’s not point in skirting around the issue. Sitz bath really the only relief for a short time. But by day 18 I was feeling much better, then daily you feel better and better. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.