Hemorrhoid artery ligation operation HALO

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had this op on the 5th February, the pain afterwards was excruciating, the shock of surgery and annaesthetic stopped me from being able to wee, after hours of not able to wee they gave me an in and out catheter then again I couldnt go so the next day they gave me another then sent me home knowing I couldnt wee, on the 7th I rang them but was told I would have to go to A&E at a different hospital as due to covid they couldn't take a patient back once they had left, I was too ill to sit in A&E so struggled for the next 2 weeks forcing drips out, I then ended up in A&E they gave me a catheter which I still have 2 weeks on, I had over 1 litre of urine in my bladder and was lucky it hadn't burst, my bladder was very bruised and painful, it feels much better and the district nurse is coming to give me a trial without catheter on the 8th March, my bottom is still very sore and I have 2 big lumps that still look like piles but much more painful than before the op, I dont know if they are piles or swollen skin tags, 4 weeks on and I am still in lots of pain with BM and still on laxatives daily, has anyone else had this OP and will these piles/lumps ever go and how long will it take? how long to full recovery? also if you had catheter due to water retention could you wee on your own after it was removed?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

if anyone can relate to this I would love to know how long it took you to full recovery, how long till the painful swollen lumps which I think are either piles or swollen skin tags take to disappear? I haven't bled for a week now, touchwood! I take half a laxido each night to keep bowel movements soft. I do wish I had never had it done, I'm in more pain now than before the op. x

• Posted

Im currently 15 days post op with the same procedure. The only lingering issue is that sometimes i still bleed, ever some lightly. I usually have 3 to 4 BM's and maybe bleed only on 1 of them. How did the disapearance of your bleeding go shortly before it was completely gone. Just trying to look for a similar pattern for a similar procedure. I will say other than the muscle spasms my experience was overall not that bad. Maybe at worst a 5 out of 10 on the pain scale, and that was only for a day or two!

• Posted

Hi, I bled lightly the first 2 weeks but quite heavy for a week after that, I am 6 weeks after my operation now and my bowels are back to normal although I do take half a packet of laxido each night so I dont get constipated, unfortunately I still have retention and still have a catheter, I may now have to have a camera into my bladder. I had spasms for a few days after the op, I still have swollen lumps and still painful when I walk. my consultant says it can take 3 months to fully recover from the op but if I am still in pain after 6 months I may need another op to cut them off, really dont want that, to be honest I wish I had never had the op now. glad you are not in much pain now. x

• Posted

i had same problem after op

couldnt urinate

same day of surgery after 11 hours they inserted tube into my penis to allow urine come out

it was disaster

surgery done on 1-2-2021

the worst part

7 days after surgery i didnt have BM the donky doctor didnt give me anything nor any information

5 grade hemorroids

i am now having wound didnt heal

i also have hard time in BM even taking tablets

blood in stole

think stole

pain

no thank you

• Posted

sorry to hear you had problems with urinary retention too, I had second trial without catheter last week, pleased to say it worked, still a bit of a struggle and worse on waking, at least I no longer have catheter, it took 8 weeks to be able to wee. regarding bm I find half to one laxido a day helps, have you tried lactose as that really gets you going, need to take 30ml in one dose. I bled for first 3 weeks but think I can say I am 90 percent better now. hope you feel better soon too x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.