Hemorrhoid Banding Hurts like Heck!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I just had the banding done 3 days ago to treat internal hemorrhoids (found during a colonoscopy).

I was put to sleep so I didnt feel anything during the procedure HOWEVER I could hardly walk to my car after, I could NOT sit in the car (so lifted my butt up for the 1hr drive home) and now when I have a BM it feels like acid coming out. I have almost passed out from the pain, so now I immediately jump in a hot bath to soak my anus. I feel like i need to have a BM but my anus hurts so bad it will not let me pass it now. Im afraid of becoming constipated but right now i feel as though i have no choice. I was NOT given any "aftercare" instructions or pain meds. Im concerned because its been 3 days and im not feeling any rectal relief. I obviously expected some pain afterwards do to them being all up in there but now I need some freaking relief!!! I go back to work tomorrow and my job involves heavy lifting, bending ect... According to "Dr. Google" Im supposed to avoid that stuff??? I hope thats not true as i cannot afford to be home any longer😕

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear, Sarah. Your post was almost too painful to read  let alone for you to suffer. Pain in that area is exceptionally unpleasant. I had a fissure there once and don’t know how I got through it. I wonder if the banding could be removed. With extreme fissure pain they have some powerful remedies now (I think one contains nitro-glycerine). Had they suggested anything else, like injecting them? You can’t go on like this. You need to tell them it has become unbearable. The feeling of wanting to have a bm can be a false warning if that area is inflamed but might you be better with having something to allow liquid bms for a few days. I am so sorry and I think you have to get them to do something. Best of luck! David. PS the only thing that made me laugh with the fissure thing (and laughing wasn’t much on the agenda) was reading that Louis XIV had a piles op and the French court was made to wear black bottom bandages for two weeks to express solidarity.
    • Posted

Hey David!

Thanks for your quick reply.

Apparently the banding is supposed to fall off on its own, plus as much as id love to have them take them off im not a fan of having my butt touched at the moment hahaha!! I didnt even know i had internal hemorrhoids until I had a colonoscopy this past december. Lovely to have this issue at my age...not! Black Bottom Bandages sounds like a diaper? Nonetheless probably felt very awkward sporting those around town haha

• Posted

I understand. I think everyone has the things at some stage. When I was at college a really fit sports guy aged 19 had them. Last summer, I started taking fybogel (although I take half dose) every day with lots of water/orange etc and so far no straining which is usually the cause of them. I wonder why they went for banding though. That is usually only done if self help remedies don’t work. I told my colonoscopy guy not to touch them if he found them unless he had to because I hate pain in that area. Usually the worst you can get with them is if they clot. I did have that happen about six years ago and it was murder for s few days. But usually they come and go and lately with this fibre drink mostly go, thankfully. Anyway, I hope it all settles soon. I’d drink a few glasses of wine if all else fails.. David.
  • Edited

So, I had the same experience. When I woke up, within 15 minutes, the pain became apparent. Its deep, it ran down my legs, akin to the deep nervous system type pain you get from back spasms mixed with the pain of wrapping a steel bandaid around your pinky - which pulses with each hear beat.

It was 16 hours of what some might call hell. I look back on it now and call it life.

I survived, But it sucked.

1400 mg of xtra strength tylenol (Over the afternoon evening) Pretty much in agony. (no prescriptions)

Fell asleep at 3am, still in pain, but too tired. Woke up all good. (More or less) Felt like 50% better which was 50% much less likely to go back for option 2, (To remove the bands) which i just didnt want to do. However, I was so very close to doing so...

Pain on day 2 was manageable. In fact, just 1 Tylenol in the morning and I was ok.

However, for the next week, using the bathroom, was not so fun. Some extensive fiber supplement was helpful.

Overall, I would recommend, keep your blood pressure down. Stay calm. Use Epsom salt bathes (There were handy) Lay down arse up. And keep dont let the mind focus on the pain. Distraction.

• Posted

hi, yours sounds the same experience as mine, im on day 5 now and still pain with bowel

movements, how long did you have pain with bowel movements for?

thanks

• Posted

I feel your pain had 5 internal banding done 9 days ago still in pain. I have a large external haemorrhoid now from passing my bowels 4 plus times a day. actually went to ED because I was off after 5 days thought I had infection was a uti. how long did your pain last. it's driving me nuts need to get off pain medication and back to work.

• Posted

holy shttt u had 5 good lord i have one they will only do one at time here and im going insane its so bad and nothing is helping but sleeping in bath im suppose to have 4 or 5 more one at time after this there no freaking way I can do this again my fissure had me in tears and was nothing compared to this good lord how did you make out this is ridiculous I can't take much more this its only day 3

• Posted

I had banding 4 days ago during a colonoscopy. What a complete mis-sell if you read the internet. I literally woke up in agony, and it's been tremendously painful. I went back after two days because I was a bit concerned (given reading there's supposed to be no pain, lol!) and omg the surgeon tried to loosen them. I was not expecting his brute-force technique and he may as well of inserted a hot poker; it would have been less painful. There's a heck of a lot of discomfort, and I've missed work. If I would have known I would have never agreed to have the procedure. I'm only posting this to let others know. Beyond the pain, there's a constant discomfort of feeling like you need to use the bathroom, but not. Using the bathroom is gripping ... literally. Baths help for sure, and painkillers help (first time in my life i've taken ibuprofen and paracetamol at the same time and it works). Good luck all!

• Posted

im right there with u i got one done with no anything was getting a check up make sure a fissure was healed I thought that was worst pain my life he said was healed do I wanna start my bands I need 4 after this one im like um I guess ..wth he just put me back on table and put tool back in lol no sedation no nothing slapped the ban on 😠 I only had a 20 mint ride home and was so much traffic on highway I thought I was gonna die getting home longest ride my life so it felt lol its going on 3 days and it is worst pain ever my 2 kids didn't even hurt this much iam not getting 4 more these no freaking way I think I've slept in bath tub for most the 2 days who ever said these are not painful well good for you because between this and the fissure feels about same this is ridiculous I'm still waiting for it to chill out almost 3 days later im like come on a week already 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.