Hemorrhoid surgery in a week yikes!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi!

I'm having hemerrhoid surgery in about a week and am getting nervous. I have been dealing with this for almost 10 years and have had enough,

Has anyone been through this before? All I have read have been horror stories. Hopefully there are some positive stories out there.

Thanks for any advice. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

There are a lot of threads here that will have both good and bad experiences. Unfortunately, not everyone heals the same or has the same extent of the surgery in terms of how much was removed, etc. I'm 6 weeks post-op and it is definitely getting better, and I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. The first week was so-so, the second week was hell. When they say recovery takes up to 3 months to feel normal, I can see why. I had a great week with no discomfort during BM's about a week or so ago, this week has been challenging. It's all part of the healing process. Take heed to all of the advice here and from the Surgeon with your post-op instructions. This includes many Sitz baths, stool softeners, diet, etc., it does make a difference. I spent the majority of my first 2 weeks taking Sitz baths numerous times a day, and it definitely helped to soothe the area. Best of luck with your surgery!

• Posted

i just had mine done monday. one external hemorrhoid removed. definitely keep up on your pain meds and sitz baths are amazing!!! i started using stool softeners 4 days before surgery and i have had hardly any pain with bowl movements so far. im on day 4 and was up most of the day caring for my 4 month old, doing laundry & dishes. i also think the recovery depends on how many your getting removed and if theyre internal or external. im assuming the internal ones are much more painful. you will be okay!!!

• Posted

No way, the external ones are way more painful. It's probably because you only had one removed, and it might have been small.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.