Skip to content
in this discussion +92 following
gee11215 gee11215

Hemorrhoid surgery recovery tips

Hemorrhoidectomy recovery

I had a hemorrhoidectomy two weeks ago. The doctor warned me that recovery process would be painful. But I didn't think it would be this intense. Here are a few tips to ease the pain. It made a world of difference in pain management for me:

1) ice packs-- most ice packs are not shaped for your butt and the flat ones only numb the butt cheeks, not the surgical site where you need relief. So make your own! Buy diapers (any size 3-6) and fill it with 3-4 cups of water and put it in a ziplock bag (for hygienic storage) and in the freezer. Once frozen, the diapers are curved perfectly to your anus area and won't drip as it melts either because the gel is designed to hold in liquid. I use one diaper several times before tossing. Just put it in a ziplock bag and refreeze.

2) squirt bottles--clean yourself with squirt bottles, not even wet toilet paper or baby wipes were gentle enough post surgery when the area is extremely raw. I bought two big squirt bottles at the drug store and fill them up before any bowel movements.

3) Boneal-- after cleaning the anus with the squirt bottles, I apply boneal (otc lotion for anal cleaning) lotion on toilet paper and dab it on my anus. It relieves the pain and itching that come later in the healing process.

4) sitz bath-- Do this 2-3 times a day and definitely after a bowel movement. Sometimes, I have my bowel movements in the sitz bath to ease the pain. Just remember to rinse it with soap and hot water right away if you have a bowel movement in there so you don't sit in fecal water and develop a uti on top of everything else.

5) if possible, stick to lots of veggies and soups for the first two weeks to allow the wound to heal. No starchy foods and anything binding!!!

These tips were given to me by the maternity nurses after I had a baby, but they are completely relevant here and I am especially grateful for the ice pack diaper trick! It was the ONLY way an ice pack can be applied to that anus area and not to my butt cheeks. Good luck and speedy recovery. BTW-- get all this ready, especially the diaper ice packs before surgery so you will have it immediately after you come home from surgery. You'll be in so much pain and not very mobile, so have all the relief remedies prepared ahead of time!

224 Replies

Next
  • davecon davecon gee11215

Hi

I am having the op done in a weeks time (UK) and have just found this site and looking for all possible pointers into what I am letting myself in to

My surgeon states that its not as horrific as people make out and I will be back riding my bike before 4 weeks - Yeh lol - Ive not come across anything that even resembles a positive easy time up to now after scouring the net

He says he was not convinced that HALO would not fix the prolapse so I am having this medieval cut and slice job

Thank you so much for this brilliant advice especially the ice pack one - A real gem

I will give updates after my surgery

Cheers

Dave

• willow17 willow17 davecon

Hi...hope all went well. I had my surgery 9 days ago and am still in agony. I run a bath before I have a BM and jump in as soon as I'm done. The bath feels good at the time but after when I'm laying down the pain is unreal. It feels like my insides are falling out.

My surgeon led me to believe I'd be up running around after 5 days...HA!! I went to see him after the 5 days was up because I was still in agony...he said everything was on schedule and it's a min of 3 weeks of intense pain before it lessens. I swear it feels like I have another hemorrhoid.

I had a hand held shower installed which I found a great help...a little cold water after a warm bath feels great. I also froze the fingers of a latex glove to use as an ice pack..really helps.

• Sweet Sandy Sweet Sandy willow17

Hi Willow, How are you doing now? I am 13 days post op and still in pain mainly right after a BM so like you I do a sitz bath immediately after.  what concerns me is that i still have the stitches and a bit of an end sticking out.  Does anyone have this same thing?

• Ouch-Ouch Ouch-Ouch Sweet Sandy

Hi Sandy , I’m 16 days post op and slowly getting better.

It has been the most horrendous experience I have ever had!

I have had 3 children and I’d rather have another than go through this again!

It is still sore when I have a BM and it aches down there for hours after . I still find it hard to walk .

I also seem to go to the toilet more than I ever did before , maybe that’s a good thing so I’m not getting constipated .

When I roll over or stand up I feel a pull in my bottom and feels like I’m about to drop something out .

I also have a huge tag down there which hurts when I walk .

Baths have been my saviour and drugs .

I just want it to get better 😔 I’m so over feeling like this . I wish I was told how much it was going to hurt and the recovery because I would never of got it done ..... 

I hope you are recovering well.

• Happybum Happybum Ouch-Ouch

Hang in there, Ouch-Ouch. It will get better. I over did it two days ago and went backwards a bit and now having been up for about 3 1/2 hrs straight catching up on work I feel it - sore and some pulsing/spasms but about a 2-3/10. NOTHING like it was the first week. Let's see how things are by 4 weeks. I am at 16 days as well. Is this something I'd wish to repeat, nope. Once is enough thank you and remember that the cure rate is 95% and that is the main reason I wanted to get this done. The hems needed to go so I could get my life back and I can already see it was a good decision even though it's going to take time to heal. Keep focused on the FREEDOM you will have again!

• ch54939 ch54939 willow17

I had mine 3 weeks ago. I am so glad I did. I had it on a Thursday and was at work Monday. The sitz baths were life savers. Day 1 and 2 were hard but day 3 was the worst. It wasn't the pain, it was attempting a bowel movement. I took myself off pain meds after day 2 because they constipate. I stood on the softeners and the first bowl movement was horrible. I finally used the sitz bath to do it. Gross but it helped make it so much easier. As long as the stool was soft after that it was no problem. I am post op 3 weeks and have no pain, no discomfort. I have been released to full exercise and whatever. Doc said the mistake so many make is staying on the prescription pain meds. They slow everything down, including recovery. I do have what looks like another hemorrhoid but doctor said it is just a skin tag after surgery and will self absorb. Takes about 6 weeks. Its half gone now. He said if it isn't after 6 weeks they can remain it simply in the office. So for me, it was worth it. I doubtes it at first but now, I'm glad.

• cheryl46943 cheryl46943 ch54939

Gives me hope !!!!   I am so glad you have had a fast recovery.   Did you have leakage before ?  I am interested if anyone had mucus poopy leakage before and if it had stopped after surgery. ( not immediately of course ) but after healing. 

Let us know your progress.  I will read till June and then report on mine. 

• Ali1978 Ali1978 willow17

Hi. I am 5 days post opp. And I can honestly say I wish I never had this done. They told me it was painful but not how long and what to expect pain wise. I have 5 children and I’d sooner give birth again than have constant pain like this. I’m living in warm baths as I feel my inners are falling out or a bowling ball stuck up there somewhere!! I’m taking laxitives , trammadol , paracetamol and using cream to the area. I’m going to the toilet daily which is soft due to the laxitives. But I dread it because of the pain. I’m bleeding from the area too. But as the days are going by the pain is getting worse. I have been close to tears on the floor and going to A & E as this pain is too much. I know it’s a big negative from me about this procedure. But I feel I’ve been let down by the medical staff with the lack of information given to me prior.  The surgeon didn’t even come and talk to me after the procedure they just discharged me and told me to come back in 8 weeks!!!!!! 

• murray32326 murray32326 Ali1978

Ali...  you are definitely in the pain zone.  I am now 13 weeks!! post-op and fully recovered, but it was really bad for me.  Pain was almost unbearable for the first 7 - 10 days then it went down to severe after that.  My recovery was long and difficult, but in the end I’m glad I did it.  My tips...  1) Warm baths as often as you can. 2) Regular pain meds (I had Tylenol (paracetamol), ibuprophen, and oxycodone.  I only took the opioid for a week, then stopped.  3) Soft stools (but you knew that). 4) Distractions!!  Netflix is good.  I must say it is psychologically tough becasue it feels like it will never end, but it does!!  Hang in there!!

• danny33077 danny33077 Ali1978

Hi Ali,  

Girl i feel your pain! I am 12 days post opp, and i honestly wish i would  of NEVER gotten this done! I have 2 kids and that was a piece of cake compared  to this! I basically slept in my tub the first few nights. Pain was excruciating!!!! My biggest problem is being constipated even though I take stool softeners. I had to go to Dr yesterday cause it seemed like a developed external hemorrhoids that are itchy, uncomfortable, and they hurt, but according to him it’s just swollen and normal hmmmm doesn’t feel normal to me. I go back next week to see him. I just want to be back to normal! Hope you do too!!!!

• athenaspell athenaspell Ouch-Ouch

hi ouch ouch, I'm 15 days post op and agree that had I onown this full process I'd probably have put up with the hemmorhoid.. mine was a grade 4 so not sure that would have been better. I dread my bowel movements and the pain after is pretty awful. how are u feeling now? I'm still on pain meds.... Not opiates though..at night it feels worse.

• emma1409 emma1409 Ali1978

I had a ella rectum, thd and a mucopexy surgery 7 days ago and I wished for the first 5 days that I'd never had it done. I was told some slight discomfort for 2-4 weeks but the first 5 days after I was crying and close to passing out due to the amount of pain there was. I thought only going to the toilet every 3-4 days was bad with a basic diet but now I'm going 3 times a day on a near to nothing diet. But today on day 7 have started bleeding from the area... i have read on another forum that this is apparently normal between days 7-14. I also was never given much of the details I could have used. I also never saw my surgeon again after I was operated on just got discharged and have an appt just come through for 3 months time. This does not help as I have a disabled child and now my daughter has chicken pox... so disappted by the nhs for the lack of proper communication

• pam123456 pam123456 danny33077

Hi Danny how r u now.I have a hemmoride operation since 12 weeks now I still have a bleeding and pain when I go to loo and feel some lump I m thinking it's not a hemmoride again .I got surgeons appointment on 26 June Will see what he say.pleas let me know how r u now .what happened to yr swallow which was u thinking it's hemmoride

• danny33077 danny33077 pam123456

Hi Pam,  I’m doing good!  I have a few small tags only thing 😩 but other than that I’m OK! I went back to gym on the 3rd week. Of course took me some time to get back to normal so give it some time best wishes!

Next

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.