Hemorrhoid surgery recovery tips

Posted , 156 users are following.

Hemorrhoidectomy recovery

I had a hemorrhoidectomy two weeks ago. The doctor warned me that recovery process would be painful. But I didn't think it would be this intense. Here are a few tips to ease the pain. It made a world of difference in pain management for me:

1) ice packs-- most ice packs are not shaped for your butt and the flat ones only numb the butt cheeks, not the surgical site where you need relief. So make your own! Buy diapers (any size 3-6) and fill it with 3-4 cups of water and put it in a ziplock bag (for hygienic storage) and in the freezer. Once frozen, the diapers are curved perfectly to your anus area and won't drip as it melts either because the gel is designed to hold in liquid. I use one diaper several times before tossing. Just put it in a ziplock bag and refreeze.

2) squirt bottles--clean yourself with squirt bottles, not even wet toilet paper or baby wipes were gentle enough post surgery when the area is extremely raw. I bought two big squirt bottles at the drug store and fill them up before any bowel movements.

3) Boneal-- after cleaning the anus with the squirt bottles, I apply boneal (otc lotion for anal cleaning) lotion on toilet paper and dab it on my anus. It relieves the pain and itching that come later in the healing process.

4) sitz bath-- Do this 2-3 times a day and definitely after a bowel movement. Sometimes, I have my bowel movements in the sitz bath to ease the pain. Just remember to rinse it with soap and hot water right away if you have a bowel movement in there so you don't sit in fecal water and develop a uti on top of everything else.

5) if possible, stick to lots of veggies and soups for the first two weeks to allow the wound to heal. No starchy foods and anything binding!!!

These tips were given to me by the maternity nurses after I had a baby, but they are completely relevant here and I am especially grateful for the ice pack diaper trick! It was the ONLY way an ice pack can be applied to that anus area and not to my butt cheeks. Good luck and speedy recovery. BTW-- get all this ready, especially the diaper ice packs before surgery so you will have it immediately after you come home from surgery. You'll be in so much pain and not very mobile, so have all the relief remedies prepared ahead of time!

14 likes, 446 replies

446 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi

I am having the op done in a weeks time (UK) and have just found this site and looking for all possible pointers into what I am letting myself in to

My surgeon states that its not as horrific as people make out and I will be back riding my bike before 4 weeks - Yeh lol - Ive not come across anything that even resembles a positive easy time up to now after scouring the net

He says he was not convinced that HALO would not fix the prolapse so I am having this medieval cut and slice job

Thank you so much for this brilliant advice especially the ice pack one - A real gem

I will give updates after my surgery

Cheers

Dave

• Edited

Hi...hope all went well. I had my surgery 9 days ago and am still in agony. I run a bath before I have a BM and jump in as soon as I'm done. The bath feels good at the time but after when I'm laying down the pain is unreal. It feels like my insides are falling out.

My surgeon led me to believe I'd be up running around after 5 days...HA!! I went to see him after the 5 days was up because I was still in agony...he said everything was on schedule and it's a min of 3 weeks of intense pain before it lessens. I swear it feels like I have another hemorrhoid.

I had a hand held shower installed which I found a great help...a little cold water after a warm bath feels great. I also froze the fingers of a latex glove to use as an ice pack..really helps.

• Posted

Hi Willow, How are you doing now? I am 13 days post op and still in pain mainly right after a BM so like you I do a sitz bath immediately after.  what concerns me is that i still have the stitches and a bit of an end sticking out.  Does anyone have this same thing?
    • Edited

Hi Sandy , I’m 16 days post op and slowly getting better.

It has been the most horrendous experience I have ever had!

I have had 3 children and I’d rather have another than go through this again!

It is still sore when I have a BM and it aches down there for hours after . I still find it hard to walk .

I also seem to go to the toilet more than I ever did before , maybe that’s a good thing so I’m not getting constipated .

When I roll over or stand up I feel a pull in my bottom and feels like I’m about to drop something out .

I also have a huge tag down there which hurts when I walk .

Baths have been my saviour and drugs .

I just want it to get better 😔 I’m so over feeling like this . I wish I was told how much it was going to hurt and the recovery because I would never of got it done ..... 

I hope you are recovering well.

• Posted

Hang in there, Ouch-Ouch. It will get better. I over did it two days ago and went backwards a bit and now having been up for about 3 1/2 hrs straight catching up on work I feel it - sore and some pulsing/spasms but about a 2-3/10. NOTHING like it was the first week. Let's see how things are by 4 weeks. I am at 16 days as well. Is this something I'd wish to repeat, nope. Once is enough thank you and remember that the cure rate is 95% and that is the main reason I wanted to get this done. The hems needed to go so I could get my life back and I can already see it was a good decision even though it's going to take time to heal. Keep focused on the FREEDOM you will have again!

• Posted

I had mine 3 weeks ago. I am so glad I did. I had it on a Thursday and was at work Monday. The sitz baths were life savers. Day 1 and 2 were hard but day 3 was the worst. It wasn't the pain, it was attempting a bowel movement. I took myself off pain meds after day 2 because they constipate. I stood on the softeners and the first bowl movement was horrible. I finally used the sitz bath to do it. Gross but it helped make it so much easier. As long as the stool was soft after that it was no problem. I am post op 3 weeks and have no pain, no discomfort. I have been released to full exercise and whatever. Doc said the mistake so many make is staying on the prescription pain meds. They slow everything down, including recovery. I do have what looks like another hemorrhoid but doctor said it is just a skin tag after surgery and will self absorb. Takes about 6 weeks. Its half gone now. He said if it isn't after 6 weeks they can remain it simply in the office. So for me, it was worth it. I doubtes it at first but now, I'm glad.

• Posted

Gives me hope !!!!   I am so glad you have had a fast recovery.   Did you have leakage before ?  I am interested if anyone had mucus poopy leakage before and if it had stopped after surgery. ( not immediately of course ) but after healing. 

Let us know your progress.  I will read till June and then report on mine. 

• Edited

Hi. I am 5 days post opp. And I can honestly say I wish I never had this done. They told me it was painful but not how long and what to expect pain wise. I have 5 children and I’d sooner give birth again than have constant pain like this. I’m living in warm baths as I feel my inners are falling out or a bowling ball stuck up there somewhere!! I’m taking laxitives , trammadol , paracetamol and using cream to the area. I’m going to the toilet daily which is soft due to the laxitives. But I dread it because of the pain. I’m bleeding from the area too. But as the days are going by the pain is getting worse. I have been close to tears on the floor and going to A & E as this pain is too much. I know it’s a big negative from me about this procedure. But I feel I’ve been let down by the medical staff with the lack of information given to me prior.  The surgeon didn’t even come and talk to me after the procedure they just discharged me and told me to come back in 8 weeks!!!!!! 

• Posted

Ali...  you are definitely in the pain zone.  I am now 13 weeks!! post-op and fully recovered, but it was really bad for me.  Pain was almost unbearable for the first 7 - 10 days then it went down to severe after that.  My recovery was long and difficult, but in the end I’m glad I did it.  My tips...  1) Warm baths as often as you can. 2) Regular pain meds (I had Tylenol (paracetamol), ibuprophen, and oxycodone.  I only took the opioid for a week, then stopped.  3) Soft stools (but you knew that). 4) Distractions!!  Netflix is good.  I must say it is psychologically tough becasue it feels like it will never end, but it does!!  Hang in there!!
    • Posted

Hi Ali,  

Girl i feel your pain! I am 12 days post opp, and i honestly wish i would  of NEVER gotten this done! I have 2 kids and that was a piece of cake compared  to this! I basically slept in my tub the first few nights. Pain was excruciating!!!! My biggest problem is being constipated even though I take stool softeners. I had to go to Dr yesterday cause it seemed like a developed external hemorrhoids that are itchy, uncomfortable, and they hurt, but according to him it’s just swollen and normal hmmmm doesn’t feel normal to me. I go back next week to see him. I just want to be back to normal! Hope you do too!!!!

• Posted

hi ouch ouch, I'm 15 days post op and agree that had I onown this full process I'd probably have put up with the hemmorhoid.. mine was a grade 4 so not sure that would have been better. I dread my bowel movements and the pain after is pretty awful. how are u feeling now? I'm still on pain meds.... Not opiates though..at night it feels worse.

• Edited

I had a ella rectum, thd and a mucopexy surgery 7 days ago and I wished for the first 5 days that I'd never had it done. I was told some slight discomfort for 2-4 weeks but the first 5 days after I was crying and close to passing out due to the amount of pain there was. I thought only going to the toilet every 3-4 days was bad with a basic diet but now I'm going 3 times a day on a near to nothing diet. But today on day 7 have started bleeding from the area... i have read on another forum that this is apparently normal between days 7-14. I also was never given much of the details I could have used. I also never saw my surgeon again after I was operated on just got discharged and have an appt just come through for 3 months time. This does not help as I have a disabled child and now my daughter has chicken pox... so disappted by the nhs for the lack of proper communication

• Posted

Hi Danny how r u now.I have a hemmoride operation since 12 weeks now I still have a bleeding and pain when I go to loo and feel some lump I m thinking it's not a hemmoride again .I got surgeons appointment on 26 June Will see what he say.pleas let me know how r u now .what happened to yr swallow which was u thinking it's hemmoride

• Posted

Hi Pam,  I’m doing good!  I have a few small tags only thing 😩 but other than that I’m OK! I went back to gym on the 3rd week. Of course took me some time to get back to normal so give it some time best wishes!

• Posted

Hi danny how u doin now? Do u still have constipation even after taking stool softerner? Im having that issue now. Im 10 days after the surgery. Life is in hell now.
    • Posted

Hi all, I'm just 2 weeks out from my surgery. I saw the doctor today and he first said, are we still friends? which made me smile. I am healing, but I agree that I was not prepared for the level of pain that comes with this surgery. He told me he removed 3 "extremely large" hemorrhoids. The stitches are really pulling and uncomfortable, but he said they are fine. He told me as long as things are getting better, they will get better.

Here are my "lifehacks"

1. hemorrwedge which is a gel pack made to fit in your cheeks. I wrapped it in a hanky and kept swapping it out. (I bought two of them which means I have 4 total)

2. Absolutely agree with skipping the narcotics. I needed them the first few days, but give them up ASAP.

3. I have a big jar of aquaphor baby and some finger cots. When I feel the need to go, I lube up by putting on the finger cot and dipping it in the aquaphor baby (I think petroleum jelly would work too, but I think this is easier to clean)

4. Find something to distract yourself from the pain! I settled in with Netflix and a lot of hand sewing to keep me distracted

5. perineal bottle will become your best friend!

6. Love the sitz bath--but I ended up enjoying the bathtub more.

7. Epsom salts feel good and don't burn at all

8. When I switched to ibuprofen, you have to make sure you watch the time and stay on top of it!!

All that being said, I'm still not back at work because of the pain, swelling, and bleeding. Wow!! I agree having my son was easier than this surgery--but honestly, the pain before was frustrating and never ending. My little "friends" had gotten so large it was difficult to go to the bathroom. As painful as it is right now, I'm amazed at how normal they now. 

BTW, the last time I talked this much about poo I was potty training my son. 

I'd love to hear how you all are doing!

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Thanks for all the tips on here!  I’m on day 6 post op and dont know how i can continue enduring this unbearable unimaginable excruciating pain after a bowel movement.  Its been  3 hours and Im in tears,  I have a high tolerance for pain so I can just imagine if i didnt.  The sitz bath before; during, after help but sometimes it feels like i’m being stretched while my bottom is hanging in there, if that makes any sense.  I dont know if im feeling pressure or the urge to go. I feel like a monster waiting to be unleashed.  I stay in my room and i really just want my privacy.  i’ve given birth 7 times and that pain doesn’t come close to what im feeling now.  
    • Edited

Hi Norma,

Try to hang in there. You are almost to the point where the pain will start going away (at least it did for me and several others, around the 7 - 9 day post op mark). I had the stapled hemorrhoidectomy, not sure which procedure you had performed. Keep doing the sitz baths before during and after bm’s, They really seem to help. Also not sure if you’ve tried any ibuprofen or acetaminophen which may take the edge off (if you are medically able to take them) the opiate pain relievers are strong but they come with the dreaded side effect of constipation, therefore they should be reserved for only the severest of pain. How is your diet ?  Hopefully only soft foods; soups broths, fruits soft veggies, applesauce... anything soft. Hold off on the meats for a while. 

I hope you feel better soon.  Each day should get a little better. I know it might not feel like it now, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel (and it’s not a train) it is freedom from pain. I had my procedure 3 months ago and I am glad I did.  You will be too.....

hang in there. You are not alone ....

stan 

• Edited

I'm so sorry!!! I had my surgery 3 weeks ago today. I started to feel relief around day 12. Day 5 was the WORST! on my hands and knees sobbing. I called the dr and they switched me to valium which helped a lot. I'd wake up, take one with motrin and wait to poop. Giving up the percocet helped a lot. I swear you will feel better! I had 3 "extremely large" hemorroids removed. Right now it's more tender and raw than horrible pain. One a rough day, I even pooped in the bathtub but it helped.

• Posted

Hey Stan, I did not realize you were still around .  I hope all is well.
    • Posted

Thank you Stan! I had Hemmordectomy... external....  Looks like im getting close to the light.  I will definitely get rid of the percocet and stick to ibuprofen from now on.  I confess.... I’ve been eating the chicken in my soup.  I will stop.  I drink protein shakes a couple times a day as well with a banana..... Before this I was at the gym several times a week and Im scared of losing toness Ive worked so long and hard on.  

Again thank you...I feel better knowing Im not alone.  

• Posted

Oh my!  3 weeks and you’re still in pain! My heart goes out to you!  Todays been my worst day yet!  Hopefully I dont poop for another day or so .... Im giving up the Percocet hoping thats the magic answer.  I’m willing to try anything that I haven’t already.
    • Posted

Hey Jane !

things are going well, thank you. How’s it going with you ?

I’d say as far as the surgery goes, I’m 99% back to “normal”. Although normal is now different, but in a good way (no more hems !) plus , now I am watching my fiber intake and I eat a lot more salads , lol !!  But it’s all good....

I want to let our friends on the board know that a normal life will happen, it just may take a few weeks to get there.  The body has a remarkable way of healing itself. It WILL happen !!  Just try to take it one day at a time and don’t try to rush things. Rest and recover. Your body knows what to do to heal itself. Keep taking the mess to help (non opioids preferably) and keep in touch with your doctor to make sure everything is ok. Good luck everyone. 

• Posted

Hi Norma -- how are you doing now? I am on day 8... The last 2 days were excruciating. I have never cried so much from pain and felt so sick. This has been the worst surgery I have gone through... Typically every day gets better, but that isn't the case. My mental health is taking a massive hit as I just feel like I can't take it anymore... Not to mention the constant anxiety over having a bowel movement. Please tell me you are doing better! I am looking for some hope that I am over the hump of the worst of it!

• Posted

Im so sorry sweetie! Im on day 25. Im at mild discomfort after a bowel movement since yesterday.

My 3rd week i had some sleepless nights in extreme discomfort.

I understand when you say your mental health is affected. I questioned mine when I realized only jumping would take the pain away, not that i would but being realistic nothing helps the pain and discomfort down there. I didnt sit until day 11 only because i had to drive.

I just read my operative report, i had 4 large groups removed, both internal and external, so I needed to have this done sooner or later.

Dont strain! Ever! I did because I felt there was something still there but it was just pressure. I know I did damage and prolonged my healing process.

Hang in there!

The sitz baths help. But honestly the anxiety of having to do the whole process over and over again was driving me crazy.....it gets better. For me it just happened yesterday. I have to take a bathroom kit to work with me just in case. I had to take the third week off from work.

This is totally nothing anyone will ever understand without actually having this surgery.

This is only something i wish on my worst enemy!

• Posted

I did the same thing with the straining, because it felt like something was there! So then the doctor told me to do milk of magnesia... It definitely cleaned me out. Unfortunately, the diarrhea was so awful, it dissolved some of the stitches for one of the external ones early, so now there is a slightly open wound back there. You are right -- it is impossible to understand this pain unless you have gone through it. I definitely underestimated the viciousness of it all. I am so sorry you are barely getting to a more comfortable time now. I hope it just gets better and better every day!! I know I am only on day 8, but I am praying it finally starts improving because I am so mentally worn out with the whole thing. I haven't had a bowel movement since yesterday morning despite the stool softeners and laxatives, and I am having major anxiety about going.... It truly is something to be dreaded, as you know. Thank you for writing back to me, I really appreciate it. Though I absolutely hate that anybody else is experiencing this, I appreciate hearing the stories and knowing I am not enduring alone. Feel better!!

• Posted

How are you doing erinstarglade ? I hope its better or at least learning to cope with it. Im on day 32 and I finally am not afraid of pooping anymore. Its a little discomfort but nothing that gets in the way of any activity....at least today and yesterday. The day before it was really uncomfortable while sitting in the car driving, managed to barely sit while putting my weight on my left leg\ foot . WOW cant believe I lived thru all that excruciating pain .....

• Edited

My surgeon states that its not as horrific as people make out and I will be back riding my bike before 4 weeks -

4 weeks?!!! surgeons have no idea what they are talking about just because they have never gone through such a pain ! They say such rubbish to anyone..... It's a very long recovery. How did you feel after 4 weeks? and how do you feel now,after about 2 years?

• Posted

My surgeon said it'd be a painful recovery but she said it with a smile and her sweet soft voice wasn't convincing and I'm glad that I went thru with it now than later.....mine were so much it was going to have to happen one day.

Ride a bike BEFORE 4 weeks?! Your surgeon sounds like a salesman!

I'm on day 43, the site is still swollen, hygiene isn't easy as a simple wipe, I'm still doing sitz bath with epsom salt at least once a day. I saw my surgeon 11 days ago, she said to give it another month.....almost there.....

• Posted

Hi Norma! I am finally starting to really feel better. I am on day 25... Still bleeding and having discomfort with bowel movements, but it is much, much more tolerable than it was. I have never experienced pain like that!! Like you said, hygiene isn't an easy wipe, and I'm still doing baths as well. I know I didn't have a choice on the whole thing, but wow, was it much worse than I could have ever anticipated! I am still getting fatigued easily, but I imagine that is from the bleeding. At my 2 week post-op, I still had significant open wounds, so he injected silver nitrate, which felt like fire in your butt!! lol. It was awful, but it helped get things closing up so much faster!

• Posted

I've been using a travel bidet (handheld bottle thing) and it's helped a lot after going to the bathroom!!!!

I had my surgery on 9/13 and it's almost 2 months later and still discomfort and bleeding, but I've finally reached the point where things are better than before the surgery.

• Edited

2 months!! OMG... my doctor first said that I will need 10 days of rest, then he said I should take it easy for 1 month... it's 3 weeks now that I had the surgery and I still have an inflammation and the stitches are still there! It's like if they don't lie to you, you'd never go through this type of procedure...

• Posted

oh my! silver nitrate! Fire in your butt!? Apparently it couldve been much worse for me! We are definetly in a class of our own...we should have special jackets lol. Im glad it helped get things closing faster.

• Posted

Hi SANDY,

considering its not about 11months ago you posted this .Can you please confirm that the stitch is no longer an issue and the extra one sticking out has shrinked or gone ?

This day 6 post OP and i have that stitch down there plus another thing that appears to be another hemorrhoid hanging .

Please come to my aid !!!

THANKS

• Posted

hi Norma,

Want to believe the swelling is a thing of the past now .?

Its day 6 post Ops and i have something hanging down there like another hemorrhoid but the surgeon mentioned i'm all fixed up so i want to assume this is just a swelling .

I'm scared going through this process again.

Please advise a brother so i dont die of emotional thoughts

• Posted

Hi--I'm sure Norma will reply, but I can honestly tell you it's been 4 months since my surgery (as I was told for extremely large hemorrhoids) and I feel like a new person!!! The first month is tough, then it gets better. I swear it gets better!!! I know what you mean about it feeling like a hemorrhoid there, I had that too and it's gone now. I can sort of feel where the stitches were and the worst part now is if I have to go to the bathroom, there's not a lot of time to delay going.

For me, the stitches lasted a lot longer than I thought they would. I had to go to have one trimmed because it unraveled and was hanging out. It felt so weird.

Best advice I can give you is to keep up with the water and fiber and stay on top of the pain. I only did the prescription pain pills for a couple of days because I was terrified of being constipated, but the dr gave me some valium which helped a lot.

I was out of work for 3 weeks.

Good luck. I know it's hard to believe now, but it will heal and you will reach a pain where the pain now is better than the pain before the surgery.

Eileen

• Edited

Fantastic news!

I'm hanging in there with faith that mine would not be an exception from you guys experience .

I stopped my hydro morphine last night as today is already day 7 post OP and i hardly have pains except when i have BM which isn't has bad .

It is really worth going through the pain and glad i took the decision to have this hemorhoidectomy done ! YAAY

• Posted

hi matstus

glad youre doing well on day 7. i couldnt sit til day 11....and pooping was a nightmare for at least a month.

well my surgical site gets swollen and uncomfortable after i poop but nothing i cant tolerate then it goes away after an hour or so. it still seems like a lil lump down there so i still keep it dry clean and use desitin with a gauze pad hoping it'll go away soon. i honestly never thought this day would come 3 months ago.

• Posted

I wanted to add that I always use a portable bidet after pooping and it's wonderful! I try to never use toilet paper. I keep a bag at work with a second portable bidet there too. Depending on how I'm feeling, I can use warm or cool water.

Right now, I'm so so sooooo glad I had the surgery. Of the 3 large ones I had, the biggest was the size of a large grape!

I've raved about my doctor to everyone and a good friend of mine went and had hers stapled.

Take care!

Eileen

• Posted

Im curious about the mechanics of this. Also what about drying? I have seen this often recommended. Can you share your experiences and what brand/model has worked? Thanks

• Posted

I used to have leakage before my surgery. I would spend a long time on the toilet every day just waiting for a slow moving BM to get done, constantly coming up with poop on the toilet paper until I got tired of it and would step into the shower to finish up - and even then sometimes had accidents. Now 6 weeks after my surgery for stage 3 hemis, my bowel movements are soft but formed, come out quickly and barely leave anything to clean up afterwards!! I am still amazed at how different and wonderful things are now. Be sure to do the fiber supplement daily. It helps to firm up the poop. Get off the pain meds as soon as you can, eat lots foods high in fiber and drink plenty of water. I'm 5 weeks post op and pretty much 100 %. Just a little tenderness and a few bumps that are getting smaller every day. Good luck with your surgery in June!

• Posted

This sounds like my situation.

I'm 99% back to normal without fear of going to do BM except for the lump still down there that have been told is a skin tag and will shrink finally overtime .

Not painful,just hanging there.

Did i mention some of the rope from the stitches are coming off and i just get my spouse to trim them off .hahaha

Glad i took the decision to get rid of those horrible hemorrhoids

• Posted

I just bought a store brand fiber supplement. It's directions say 2 tsp 3 times a day, but I only take 1 tsp twice a day, because I'm really pushing fiber in my diet too. I'm not sure which is causing an increase in gas passed, but it has been definitely a side effect lately. Because of that I do my supplement at breakfast and lunch, and then make sure I take a long walk to move the gas along.

• Posted

Good news. How long ago did you have your surgery? I'm sure that there are more successful operations then reported here, but the good ones are moving along to a wonderful new life sans hemorrhoids. Love the story about the stitches. I had my husband visually checking things out and even taking pictures. What our spouses will do for love.

• Posted

my surgery was done JANUARY 12th and the joy is i could do BM up to twice in a day without fear unlike before when i tend to do only once a week because of the ordeal of pain and bleeding.

Now i always bless the day i took the decision to procedure with the surgery

• Posted

very similar course for me.. Have days with some pain (day 21) now, but overall things are improving

• Posted

hi Sue,

its been a while and thought i would check on how things are going for you .

January 12th ,2020 will be 1 year post hemorriodectomy for me and the skin tag have shrank significantly but tends to get bigger after a bowel movement hence causes discomfort .

Now if i lay and not stress it ,it shrinks back to its normal size which always happen when i pass gas .

Is this the same for others in same anniversary date as me or i should be worried?

• Posted

HI EILEEN,

its been a while and thought i would check on how things are going for you .

January 12th ,2020 will be 1 year post hemorriodectomy for me and the skin tag have shrank significantly but tends to get bigger after a bowel movement hence causes discomfort .

Now if i lay and not stress it ,it shrinks back to its normal size which always happen when i pass gas .

Is this the same for others in same anniversary date as me or i should be worried?

• Posted

Hi matstus,

I came here looking for someone wirh similar experience to mine and saw tour concern.

I had almost no internal hemorrhoids but struggled with external ones following the birth of each of my babies. All of them shrank to small skin tags, except one. That one was smaller than an earlobe but similar in size and would swell after bowel movements and thrombose, it would eventually return to a skin tag. It became annoying and painful enough to get THD hemorrhoid dearterialization done internally to hopefully cut off blood circulation to the external hemorrhoids as well as have the external hemorrhoid cut off and stitched shut. This surgery was done 5 days ago. I was straining on the toilet today because I felt the urge to go all day but could not go, as if my muscles weren't sure how to work or as if i were afraid to rip the external stitches. The straining resulted in a hemorrhoid in the same spot the old one was cut off and im afraid i will have the same problems as before now. Totally devestating since the surgery is quite painful. But im trying to remain hopeful and hoping it will shrink to a skin tag that wasn't as bothersome as before. Is your skin tag large, and does it become thrombosed? If not, then it might be possible to have it cut off in office. Although that doesn't mean it wont come back if the problem is coming from a vein internally. Having it cut off is not as bad as the surgery. I was in no significant pain and if it werent for the surgery then i think removing the akin tag alone would have been a breeze if i hadn't strained during a bowel movement.

• Posted

Thank you Callcarr45 for the re-assurance .When i remember what i went through during the recovery and what you have experienced ,i think would rather manage the skin tag.

Just like your description ,the skin tags are tiny but becomes large when a BM occurs but was i have recently adopted is to apply those anal suppositories to help the swelling and tends to reduce moving around alot to avoid pressure on the tender skin .

Once those steps are followed ,i pass gas quickly and they either shrink or goes back to normal size .

I'm sorry you dealing with another phase of this .

Please keep me posted

• Posted

how do u know its just pressure i was backed up it killed me getting it out im not straining but have to push a little im on day 11 my BMs are hard im taking stool softners still in so much pain im on valium and oxycodone i kmow i need to stop the oxy but im in so much pain when does it get better ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.