hemorrhoidectomy 2024

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, For the Past 2 Years I have been suffering from Piles and Emmerroids. In 2023 it was that bad in the loss of blood that I needed 2 units of blood. I was a few weeks away from death. I was loosing at least a mug full of Blood a day. I was on a strict diet and kept to going to the toilet once a day. There was days I had blood running down my leg. I could not go on like this. I kept ringing my doctors up and all they said "You are on a list" For 2 years I waited. I kept thinking this cant be right but all I could do is wait.
Finaly before Christmas 2023 I got the news My Opperation was on 09 Jan 2024? I was excited and scared at the same time. I had read up on so many procedures. The day came of the opperation, Kendal Hospital for 07.30 in the morning. I was so scared of what might happen. I was second to be opperated on.
The anaesthetist came round first and asked did I want a Local anaesthetic or she would prefare a General anaesthetic as this wears off more slowly to allow the pain to be eased in. I went for Local "I was not in a rush to get home" I just wanted to be made better and to get on with my life. Then the doctor came round asked a few more questions and said it would be a open hemorrhoidectomy. I said " Please fix me"

I was then taken down to theatre and preped for a spinal anaesthetic, The staff and the anaesthetist were very gental and understanding. I was then taken through for the opperation. I met the Doctors and was in theatre for about 40 mins, Then taken to recovery. Remember if having Local "YOU are awake and can see doctors all around you. Good and Not Good.

After recovery I was taken back to the ward to recover with the nurses. Was offered a drink and something too eat. Very welcoming. The was the weraing off of the anaethetic. Waste first then toes and then the private parts and eventualy my bottom. I felt ok so needed to go to the toilet. Once you could goto the toilet you were checked over and given your medication for the recovery. About 5 Hours after the opperation you are allowed home. Very very Very uncomfortable 30 min ride home. My Bottom felt evey bump.

The opperation I had was - the removal of all internal emerroids and piles, Tied up all Pedies, Skin Bridge between excised mucosa. Haemostasis ensured. (all external ones tied up like grapes, to fall of later)

Tuesday night (Day 1) Very painfull and uncomfortable sleep. Hard to walk and feeling a bit weak.

Wednesday (Day 2) On codine and paracetamol Very sore and tender around my bottom, Walking with a shuffle. Started taking Lactulose to ease with going to the toilet ( the bottle says take 2 - 3 days to start working) GREAT. Once I started to move around more I felt I needed to go to the toilet for a number 2!!! I was very hesitant (as I knew this would hurt?) Not joking it made my eyes water and was very very painful, a few pieces the size of a finger nail came out. I could have swarn it was more like a melon? It Hurt.
Straight after the toilet sesion I had a luke warm salted bath, This definately makes you feel better!

Thursday (Day 3) Still on Codine and Paracetamol. Got up at 07.00 hrs and same again my bowels started to move, lots of wind and then Oh No needed the toilet for the first time this day. I was not looking forward to this. Grabbing hold of the sink and trying not to push too hard, The Pain again was magnified 10 fold.Same again just a little bit came out. Felt again like a Pinaple this time. This is what it must feel like having a baby.. Sorry to my Wife for telling her to Push. another bath to calm me down, Walked down the stairs and Oh No another number 2 required, Same again lots of gass first. This time a little bit more came out. Laid on the settee all afternoon fealing painfull and sorry for my self. Had a good but half postion evening meal. Did not want to bung myself up.. Had a walk around the house in the evening and Yet again Needed a number two, I have never in the past 2 years had 3 Number 2s in one day. This time alot came out but at a painfull price. But I can definatley say there was no blood. 

Friday (Day 4) moved off the Codine and just on paracetamol. Up at 07.00 hrs walking around still not sitting on my bottom properly, Dont want to pop any of the grapes. Still uncomfortable but manageable. Then came time for a Number 2, No waiting around it just came out with ease. Quick bath and back to the settee for rest, I think if I dont move around I dont need the toilet, But I do not want it building up inside so up I go walking around more. The pain from my bottom had easied of and now the pain was coming from going to the toilet. Still the lactose had not kicked in??? Why I was in pain and needed a smother flow, The sleeping with a throbing bottom was very manageable now. I was getting 4 hours sleep.

Saturday  todat 13 Jan 2024 (Day 5) Five hours sleep and just a twinge of pain, still a bit sore to sit on a chair. Still on the paracetamol and lactose. Had a good breakfast. First time in a few days. Feeling more like my self. Still clenching my bottom cheeks when getting up and down, Had a walk around again and Yes. Toilet time this time it was like a proper number 2. First one in 2 years blood free and of nice colour. Had a full lunch and feeling alot better. Managed to sit on a chair today. Very Very Nice. Felt like my first coffee for the past 4 days. By time the afternoon had come I needed the toilet again and YES the lactose was working ( only this is with it being watery, the stinging on my bottom,, OMG that hurt, nothing a good soak could sort out. Now sat at my desk on my laptop writing this BLOG. Still a twitchy bottom, but only a faint pain.

I know we are all different and recovery times are varried. But if you are like Me and have suffered from a Not so simple opperation, I can definatel tell you FOR me this was worth it, I have a 9 and 11 year old and time spent with them is worth more than the pain I have gone through. there is light to this story. I was worried and concerned, I looked up too many Ops that did not goto plan and the pain was worse. I hope that if you do read this It will make your mind up about having the opperation.
Live before the opperation was Not a Life it was a survival, My blood was slowly draining out of me EVERY day. I cried more loosing blood than I have recovering. I hopefuly can now bend down and go out with out blood running down my leg or having to go to the toilet for hours. I want a normal healthy life.

Dave C

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.