Hemorrhoidectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my surgery on Wednesday 4th April I had internal haemorrhoids and three polyps that was also going to be removed I had to be put under general anaesthetic as one of the polyp was to close to the rectum, anyway had the pre op consultation the week before and was told what the procedure would be and that would need at least two weeks to recover and that I would be held in recovery for at least minimum of 4 hours and I wouldn’t release to I had passed urine, when I met with the surgeon on the day of the op he told me that he would be doing a hemorrhoidectomy and that  I would need about three weeks off work to recover which is fine, well i had the op was moved back on to the ward after being the threate recovery and coming round from the G A on the ward was taken to the Loo but I wasnt able to pass urine but was being made ready to be discharged ?? Well I was given my discharge letter and some meds which was for pain relief which are paracetamol and ibuprofen and omeprazole ( to reduce my stomach acid ) and some extra dressing but was told I should bleed that much but no stool softener , but it’s not Saturday and I’m still bleeding and it’s seems to be constant congealed and clotty blood also notice that I’ve got two piles outside the rectum now where as they where internal so not sure what’s he’s actually done on the letter that was given and the copy for my gp it says eua of ano-rectum, excision of polyp in anterior wall, ligation haemorrhoidectomy at 3,5,7 o’clock position few pds stitch were placed to appose the anal skin and mucosa now I understand some of that but not all the surgeon never spoke to me afterwards l was discharged at 8pm that Wednesday but didn’t pass urine till 2.30am the bleeding hasn’t eased up and now the haemorrhoids two are external which wasn’t like that before so guess im not sure do I push them back up like I was doing before the op or not ???? and now wearing sanitary towels as I’m bkeeding through the dressing but I’m meant to keep the area clean and dry, how ?? And help pls 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

Hi Cassius. It's early days yet. Don't go pushing anything up. It may just be swelling from the surgery and may right itself over time. You can bleed on and off for the first couple of weeks but if you're overly concerned about anything go and see your GP for reassurance x

• Posted

Thank you for the advice another thing I’ve been able to pass urine last two days without much trouble but today it’s like I really feel the need to go but nothing happening at all I’ve had another bowel movement which was more painful than the first one just wondering is it possible to stop being able to pass urine and when can I expect things to get more comfortable 
    • Posted

Cassius I still have problems urinating. Some days I can only go when I sit in the sitz bath. It's a right pain coz then I have to empty and clean it and then refill so I can have a bm and I'm 4 weeks post op. I think it's just because of swelling inside. I find it hard to urinate on days where it's hard to have a bm so I presume it's all connected

• Posted

Thanks can I ask what meds you was given cos as I’ve said only been given paracetamol and ibuprofen and stuff to reduce my stomach acid omeprazole 
    • Posted

Where did you get your operation?

Mine was in the UK.

I was given lactulose and fybogel for BM

For pain I was given paracetamol and dihydrocodeine.

• Posted

I would contact the hospital about passing urine.

When I had the operation in October I was not discharge until I could pass urine.

• Posted

All part and parcel of the surgery. There is a lot of info her on the forums about it, at all different stages of the operation. I have already written all about my experience so search for that here. Soft foods, lots of fibre. LOTS Of sitz baths, etc. 
  • Posted

I have swelling which felt like external haemorrhoids.. they were hard as rock too in the first two weeks. I gently tried to push them back, but don’t do it - I realise that it’s just swelling. I’m about day 29 now and have no pain. Just some discomfort if I strain myself by lifting something heavy. But I can sit fine now. Also the swelling is still there but it’s a bit softer and smaller I would say. I’m confident the doc was telling the truth now in that it would disappear after about 6 weeks 
    • Posted

Are you saying you have external haemorrhoids and you have been to the doctor ??????

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.