Hemorrhoidectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

A little back story. For as long as I can remember hemorrhoids are something I've always dealt with. Along time ago I had a thrombosis external one lanced and drained in the ER. It of course returned. And years later I became pregnant, and they became much worse. While pregnant my doctor attempted to drain them again. There was 4 of them thrombosis. To no avail. They were just as bad the very next day. Now a year has past since I gave birth. And the same 4 thrombosis external hemorrhoids, still haunt me, I've been to the hospital twice since giving birth because of the hemorrhoids and both times they wouldn't even give me the temporary relief by lancing them, they said I just need surgery. The most recent being a couple weeks ago. This time the ER doctor and the 3 other doctors she asked all said they wouldn't touch them because they were so large they were afraid of the amount of blood I'd lose if they did. Referred me to a surgeon. Trust me when I say I've tried everything. From over the counter creams and treatments, to 4 different prescription creams. To everything in my arsenal from after birth, and everything in between.

So here's where I'm at now. I went last week for the surgical consult. I now have the surgery scheduled for the 3rd of August. That's in 2 weeks. At the consult the doctor seemed traumatized by the sight of these 4 thrombosis hemorrhoids. I managed to stay conscious through the rectal exam, after which he informed me that I had, in his own words, "ALOT of internal hemorrhoids, they are EVERYWHERE" he said. So I didn't know I had internal ones much less alot of them. They want to start as far back and work their way out cutting everything and stitching it all back up. I was given a folder with very detailed instructions on everything from pre-op to post-op poop schedule. He told me I would be absolutely miserable for at least 4 weeks after the surgery. Everyone is telling me its something I've got to do, the temporary worsening of pain will ultimately bring me relief from this life long issue. And it's not even really me I'm worried about, it's my 1 year old who is attached to me that I'm concerned about, and my ability to care for her post-op. So I have some questions for anybody who has been through this procedure, please!

What was post-op like, for example, range of motion, were you able to do normal things like going from laying to sitting up or standing by yourself? Or tend to the kids?

I'm hearing mixed info on this one, and I'm wondering if its protcal they've recently changed, did you have to stay overnight if you weren't able to urinate? Do you have to stay until you can, how long did it take you, and any tips to make it happen? I can't stay overnight without my baby.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how bad is that first BM, I was told I would have packing inside me that would pass with the first one. Did you have packing how bad was it?

Also how does the dressing on the outside work, how long do you have to continue to change it?

Were you put on any medications after surgery?

How long till you were pain free throughout the day, not counting BM?

How long until pain free BM?

How are you now, and have you experienced any hemorrhoids since the surgery?

Did you have any complications or issues or have to revisit the doctor besides post-op appointment? What kind of problems?

And finally, any tips to make this go by as quickly as possible and make recovery easier? What helped you relax post-op?

I deeply thank any of you who took the time to read this post, it feels like I been typing forever lol, and thank you in advance for anything you share regarding your experience!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I had a haemorridectomy in 2014 (aged 57) after suffering for years and years. 

They started when I was pregnant with my first child at the age of 27 and they just got worse and worse as I got older. 

I can’t begin to tell you awful it was, the pain was indescribable and sometimes I would have to lie down for a few hours after going to the loo after a BM!! I was severely constipated for six days then would spend day seven going to the loo about ten times!! 

It was almost unbearable. 

Finally, when I plucked up the courage to see a Consultant about it I was terrified to have to endure a haemorrhoidectomy but I knew I just had to. 

After the surgery he told me that I’d had three massive internal haemorrhoids the size of salt cellars.

At the end of the operation he injected local anaesthetic inside so for about 12 hours after the operation I had no pain at all so that was a real help. 

However, once that wore off, I can’t lie, the pain was really horrible. I took my painkillers every 4 hours and also lactulose to make sure the stools wouldn’t be difficult to pass. 

The first time I went to the loo was extremely painful and as bad as giving birth but................

The relief I felt once those six weeks were over is immeasurable. 

That operation absolutely transformed my life for the better.

I even told my Consultant that if he had any patients who were too frightened to have the operation I would tell them how fantastic I felt post haemorrhoidectomy in the hope of allaying their anxieties. 

Obviously, your biggest worry is going to be how you’ll cope post operatively with looking after your little one whilst being in discomfort and needing rest. 

I can only hope that you’ll be able to get as much help as you can so you can rest as much as possible. Also, I hope you’re not still breastfeeding because you will need to take painkillers and of course you are restricted if you’re breastfeeding. 

Good luck with your operation and please let us know how you get on. 

Kindest regards

Jane 

• Posted

Thank you so much Jane,

I think those were the exact words I needed to hear from someone who has exactly experienced this. Its pretty ridiculous I'm about to celebrate my 24th birthday and then two weeks later endure this. But I'm in a ton of pain right now, I'm very tired of dealing with this. It's been such a constant struggle. I think I needed to be told that yes it will be very difficult but totally worth it. My family is being very supportive and they are all planning specific days for who to stay with me. I'm glad you used birth as s comparison lol, that gives me a pretty good idea of what its gonna be like lol. I thank you so much for sharing your experience! Best wishes!

• Posted

Thank you so much Jane,

I think those were the exact words I needed to hear from someone who has exactly experienced this. Its pretty ridiculous I'm about to celebrate my 24th birthday and then two weeks later endure this. But I'm in a ton of pain right now, I'm very tired of dealing with this. It's been such a constant struggle. I think I needed to be told that yes it will be very difficult but totally worth it. My family is being very supportive and they are all planning specific days for who to stay with me. I'm glad you used birth as s comparison lol, that gives me a pretty good idea of what its gonna be like lol. I thank you so much for sharing your experience! Best wishes!

• Posted

Quite a story, and if you don't mind a little levity " there's light at the end of the tunnel". My difficulty with hemorrhoids does not compare and it seems that the comments here are encouraging. Just be sure the surgeon you choose has lots and I mean lots of experience with this procedure. Look into all possible methods to be sure you are getting the most successful with the least amount of complications and negative side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.