hemorrhoidectomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone I am a 49-year-old female that had grade 3 hemorrhoids. I had the surgery last Wednesday. Just wanted to share my experience with you all. I know you all are very scared from reading other people’s posts, but I’ll be honest it’s not as bad as it sounds.

Day one… Arrived at hospital 730 in the morning went down to preop around 9:00. Went into surgery about 945. Was in recovery around 11. The nurse asked if I was in any pain. On a scale of 1 to 10 I was about a four. She gave me a Percocet to feel better. I had some crackers and juice and was discharged from the hospital around 1145. Got home and went straight to bed. Slept a couple of hours woke up and had to urinate. I set up the sits there and sat and sat in hot water. Not too hot. The sitz bath will be your friend for a few days. I changed my dressing took another pain pill ( Oxycodone) did not have much of an appetite. Had about a half cup of oatmeal. Went to sleep again for a few hours. Whatever you do do not skip your pain pill. If you have to take it every six hours take it 5 1/2. You do not want to wait until you have pain. So far I’ve been feeling very nauseous not much pain more uncomfortable. Woke up around 130 in the morning and threw up. Went back to bed. The first day is the hardest part but as long as you take your meds you will be OK.

Day two… Woke up feeling better had a whole wheat toast with peanut butter. I thought I had to girl but it was only gas. The dressing did come out and I felt a lot better. Took my pills went back to sleep. Everyone’s in a while I would get a sharp pain down there But nothing I couldn’t handle. I have more of an appetite today which was good. Also make sure you have plenty of fluids. Your diet should be soft foods vegetables fruits oatmeal nothing processed but nothing I couldn’t handle. I have more of an appetite today which was good. Also make sure you have plenty of fluids. Your diet should be soft foods vegetables fruits now nothing processed. Took a stool softener and magnesium before bed. The doctor usually tells you to take a stool softener the first night if that doesn’t make you go then add a laxative. Magnesium as a laxative. Slept through most of the night. Just a little uncomfortable.

Day three… Well today’s the day I went. I know it sounds gross but you will be better off to go to the bathroom in the sitz bath. It relaxes your muscles. As soon as I went which wasn’t all that bad. I was more nervous about it than anything. Just make sure you Breathe don’t hold your breath. I went soft which was a good thing. As soon as I was done I used an unscented wipes and jumped in the shower. Let the water cleanse you. Try not to use that much soap. Take a sitz bath whenever you feel uncomfortable. A lot of people had said they sat in the tub with water I personally preferred the sitz bath. No longer than 20 minutes. Also make sure you walk even if you walk back-and-forth you need to move around. Keep the area clean and dry. You will need pads and change them off also make sure you walk even if you walk back-and-forth you need to move around. Keep the area clean and dry. You will need pads and change them often. Today I only took the Oxycodone in the morning because one of the side effects is that they constipate you. Once that wore off I took Advil every four hours and I was OK.

Day four...Today I woke up had my breakfast and felt great. The only thing I went to the bathroom five times today. My mistake because I took a stool softener and laxative together and I stocked the Oxsee codi today I woke up had my breakfast and felt great. The only thing I went to the bathroom five times today. My mistake I stopped the oxycodone and should not have taken the stool softener and laxative together. I was OK because every time I went it was soft. No need for pain pill the Advil is helping.

Day five… Well today I feel wonderful! The only thing is I’m very itchy down there so that’s a good thing because it means it’s healing. Had my breakfast went to the bathroom once did some laundry housework. My advice to all take the sitz bath whenever you feel you need it even if it’s just for five minutes or 20 minutes it will make you feel better Never skip your pain pills if you need them! Have plenty of fluids. Eat soft foods and walk. I still can’t sit fully but it’s only been a few days!

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Steph:

Good recommendations, especially on the baths (tub or otherwise). I used pads for a solid six weeks. It is good to see a generally positive outcome like yours; it gives a positive viewpoint which is rare. Be sure to give a 2 week update. I will be curious to hear how it progresses.

• Posted

Hello to all!

I am a 47 year old female, scheduled for a colonoscopy on 10/25 (because rectal polyps were seen during my exam) & traditional hemorrhoidectomy the next day 10/26. I do not know where my hems are on the stage scale but my Dr will be removing several inside & outside. I AM A NERVOUS WRECK! I had the 'staple' procedure about 17 years ago but my Dr says that is not an option this time because they are too bad

Steph - did you have traditional surgery or the staple procedure?

• Posted

Hey girl...I had the surgery. I was a nervous wreck as well. PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDS A HALF HOUR BEFORE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO TAKE THEM....it will help. Do the sitz bath. Eat soft foods for a couple of days. Take a stool softner and a laxative so your bowel movements are soft. Poop in the sitz bath and take a shower. it will relax your muscles. BREATH! Any other questions feel free to ask anytime. BEST OF LUCK.

• Posted

Steph - thank you for the info & support! I have spent the last few days reading so many horror stories about this surgery/recovery... I even considered canceling the surgery! I will be off work (desk job) for 2 weeks following my surgery, I hope that is enough time?

I am trying to be proactive & prepare for everything! I have bought a sitz bath, gentle wipes, stool softener, maxi pads, prunes...

Since I am having a colonoscopy the day before, I am planning to stay on a clear liquid diet until after the hem surgery.. this will mean about 72+ hours with no food but that should be okay... and my bowels/colon will be empty.

Pain meds must be the true trick, I have already had to sign a consent form for opioid treatment! I do not like pain meds at all but plan on taking them exactly like you suggest!!

I am in East Tennessee, what part of the world are you in?

Jen

• Posted

steph - I am VERY anxious & nervous!!! My colonoscopy is Thursday & my hemorrhoidectomy is Friday. I have prepared as much as I possibly can... now I wait. How are you doing??

• Posted

Jenn, you are going to be fine. Just take my advice. Take the pain meds a half hour before you need them. Do the sitz bath everytime you need to go. Use it to pee as well. As soon as your done jump in the shower. Eat soft foods for the first couple of days. I went today for my follow up and everything is healing great. if you need to talk im here.

• Posted

Good luck!!! keep us posted. It sounds as if you have done a great job preparing.

• Posted

Steph - I have already given my husband VERY strict orders to make sure I take my paid meds 1/2 hour early... I am so ready for this to be over with! Today, I have started the clear liquid diet & I'll drink the first part of my prep stuff this evening. Changing my diet last week to soft foods has caused me to poop more which in turn has caused my hems to flare like never before... I'm miserable!! Maybe my body is just preparing itself for the pain to come? I don't know but this is just horrible. My anxiety is truly through the roof...

Also, I found out from my Dr that I have grade 4 prolapsed hems, 3-4 of them. I'm not sure where that is on the scale of bad-worst but I'm thinking it's pretty bad?

So glad you are healing well, gives me great hope for my days ahead!!

• Posted

I find it interesting that you are having a colonoscopy the day before. Why not just do it all at once?

Regardless, you will be fine. You are obviously well studied. I wish I had informed myself so thoroughly in advance in terms of pre-op diet, post op hints/tips/diet, and supplies.

Remember HOT baths! As hot as you can take them. It may sound counterintuitive but they are wonderful.

• Posted

Hi Jane.. my doc would not do the hem surgery until after colonoscopy to make sure I do not have anything cancerous going on. I had the colonoscopy yesterday & doc removed polyps to send off for testing. He feels good that nothing was cancerous but we wont know 100% for couple of weeks

TODAY is the big hem surgery day! I am a nervous wreck & dreading it horribly!!

ALL GOOD VIBES & PRAYERS WELCOME!!!

I will update again when possible... ✌

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.