hemorrhoidectomy patient experience

Posted , 21 users are following.

I am not one to share like this however I found this board useful/frightening when researching about hemorrhoidectomy surgery. After reading many of the patient experiences I wanted to run and was petrified of going ahead with the surgery.  I am now POD 7 and thought I would share my positive experience to help balance out some of the scary stories.

I am a young healthy woman in my 30s, approximately 10 years ago I developed a fissure and hemorrhoids requiring a sphincterotomy and hemorrhoid banding.  I have since been banded an additional two times with no success.  I finally decided to pull the trigger and saw a colorectal surgeon who diagnosed me with stage 3 hemorrhoids.  He felt that surgical intervention was necessary and we opted for a stapled hemorrhoidectomy as it has a faster recovery time.  I was warned to plan on taking minimum two weeks off of work and perhaps even more as I am a medical professional and work 12 hours days and am on my feet for long hours.  

Prior to delving into my surgical experience I should divulge two pieces of information.  My hemorrhoids caused discomfort which is why I went forward with the procedure so baseline I am used to experiencing rectal discomfort and have been told by many that I have a high pain threshold.  Secondly I had a fissure.  If you have had one then you understand that it makes bowel movements horrifically, take your breathe away painful.  So all pain moving forward is compared to that as the baseline.

Alright so here we go....about a week prior to surgery I started taking colace and fiber pills.  Starting 3-4 days before surgery I cut out all red meats and dairy and started eating pretty light.  I went in for the procedure which took about 45 minutes.  When I woke up I was informed that due to the severity of my hemorrhoids I required an excisional hemorrhoidectomy, so I was prepared for a bad recovery.  When I woke up i felt uncomfortable and immediately asked for pain meds to get on top of the pain.  

I was definitely uncomfortable for the first two days and required pain meds around the clock.  I set my alarm to wake up overnight so that I wouldnt fall behind.  I spent the majority of the first two days lying on the couch and stuck to fruit and soup.  I didnt have any bleeding.  I did find that it was difficult to initiate urination and at times had to run the faucet to assist.  After almost 48 hours without a bowel movement I spoke to my doctor and he suggested milk of magnesia.  When I had my first bowel movement it was definitely uncomfortable.  THe pain was more of a stinging overstimulation (best way I can describe it).  I quickly hopped into the tub which did alleviate some of the pain.  Each day I have found that I feel better and better.  My appetite has improved.  I am still eating lots of fruits and vegetables and staying away from dairy and red meats.  I continue with colace and fiber and have been taking milk of magnesia if I dont have a bowel movement for more than 24 hours.   I am now a week out and am taking 1-2 percocet a day.  While I am still mildly uncomfortable aside from post bowel movements I am fairly comfortable.  I have been going on walks the past few days to build back my strength and I am planning to go back to work in another five days.

Although every experience is different and I cant promise that yours will be like mine, I wanted to encourage everyone debating the procedure that there are positive experiences.  I was definitely prepared for the worst and pleasantly surprised at how well I have done.  Please feel free to ask questions and good luck!

7 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 5 days post-op and I can honestly say I feel pretty good. My big thing is going to the bathroom. I have been taking stool softeners and I have not been constipated. My experience is similar to yours in that it's a stinging and the tub does help to put out the fire. I'm just curious as to how long it took you to be able to have a comfortable bowel movement without needing to soak your butt after. Right now that seems to be my biggest obstacle.

• Posted

I didn't see a reply about the burning. I'm 6 days out and the burning every bowel. when will the burn end. Bowel doesn't hurt much but the pain from the burning. Any imput. I at ends with myself. Thinking I shouldn't of the pain is unbearable.

• Posted

I can count on one hand the number of times I've made a public post on a forum, but I think this topic more than justifies a post. I am very familiar with surgeries – I've been split open on two occasions and had multiple other major surgeries; I've had many broken bones (hands, arm, leg, ribs, coccyx, etc.); kidney stone, and multiple other severe injuries and grateful to be a cancer survivor. This particular surgery REALLY got my attention.

On Monday 18 December 2017 I had a hemorrhoidectomy removing 3.5 x 3.1 x 1.5 cm of internal hemorrhoids. Then on Friday 22 December I sprang a bad internal leak with my first bowel movement. This required an emergency surgery which took place on Saturday 23 December accompanied by an overnight in hospital. I'd like to offer some things that have really helped me, since this week is like the second go around. I am not giving medical advice and I am not a doctor so heed this at your own peril.

1.Pre-surgery diet. At least 5 days before surgery, begin to eat food that produce a soft stool. Also begin taking stool softeners. Get well hydrated, including on cranberry juice to stave off a UTI. If you only begin taking stool softeners and eating appropriate food on the day of surgery you'll have 6 – 12 meals compacting in your digestive system during post surgery constipation and these meals are REALLY difficult getting out. They are also unaffected by stool softeners and will come out like golf balls!

2.After much experimentation, the most comfortable position to s**t was in the shower in a standing position, feet spread shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent, with my hands hanging on the top of the shower door supporting my weight – a bit like an ape hanging from a tree, but with its feet on the ground. I also use a low pressure flexible shower head spraying on my anus to help encourage the process. Press only enough to supplement the waves of contractions. Breathe and rest, it takes time. The first several sessions lasted about 40 minutes each and only some rewarded me with a golf ball sized hard stool. I’m guessing this was the 6 – 12 meals that were compacted and could have been avoided. Second time round I had two tough sessions – still the 6 to 12 meals - and the rest are easy by comparison. A bit like going from a 10 pain level for 40 minutes to a 5 pain level for 3 minutes – big difference, especially in pain. So if your stools are soft it is SO much better. Clean up is easy.

A side note is relevant here. Ordinarily we get a “dingaling” notification for a number 1 and an equally polite and distinguishable “bong” notification for a number 2. After surgery, these “notifications” are replaced by a punk rock head banging screaming band whose noise completely terrifies your respective outlets into involuntary paralysis and they revolt and go on strike. This is where the medication is supposed to help by calming all the parties down and getting them back to work. If and when they return to work, its going to be with a whole new set of rules. They will pretend to be back at work when they're actually just getting even with you. Either way, be prepared to deal with a mutiny of both outlets.

3.Take regular baths in Epson salts – I found this very soothing.

4.I use an off the shelf numbing gel on my anus and found this really helped with the multiple open wounds I have on the outside after both surgeries. I would also smear this numbing gel onto a gauze pad I folded in half and inserted between my butt cheeks before pulling on a pair of underpants to hold it in place. I was able to carefully monitor any discharge by examining this gauze pad that I replaced at regular intervals.

5.Keep your sense of humor and laugh even though it hurts – you’re alive and the pain will pass.

• Posted

I can count on one hand the number of times I've made a public post on a forum, but I think this topic more than justifies a post. I am very familiar with surgeries – I've been split open on two occasions and had multiple other major surgeries; I've had many broken bones (hands, arm, leg, ribs, coccyx, etc.); kidney stone, and multiple other severe injuries and grateful to be a cancer survivor. This particular surgery REALLY got my attention.

On Monday 18 December 2017 I had a hemorrhoidectomy removing 3.5 x 3.1 x 1.5 cm of internal hemorrhoids. Then on Friday 22 December I sprang a bad internal leak with my first bowel movement. This required an emergency surgery which took place on Saturday 23 December accompanied by an overnight in hospital. I'd like to offer some things that have really helped me, since this week is like the second go around. I am not giving medical advice and I am not a doctor so heed this at your own peril.

1.Pre-surgery diet. At least 5 days before surgery, begin to eat food that produce a soft stool. Also begin taking stool softeners. Get well hydrated, including on cranberry juice to stave off a UTI. If you only begin taking stool softeners and eating appropriate food on the day of surgery you'll have 6 – 12 meals compacting in your digestive system during post surgery constipation and these meals are REALLY difficult getting out. They are also unaffected by stool softeners and will come out like golf balls!

2.After much experimentation, the most comfortable position to s**t was in the shower in a standing position, feet spread shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent, with my hands hanging on the top of the shower door supporting my weight – a bit like an ape hanging from a tree, but with its feet on the ground. I also use a low pressure flexible shower head spraying on my anus to help encourage the process. Press only enough to supplement the waves of contractions. Breathe and rest, it takes time. The first several sessions lasted about 40 minutes each and only some rewarded me with a golf ball sized hard stool. I’m guessing this was the 6 – 12 meals that were compacted and could have been avoided. Second time round I had two tough sessions – still the 6 to 12 meals - and the rest are easy by comparison. A bit like going from a 10 pain level for 40 minutes to a 5 pain level for 3 minutes – big difference, especially in pain. So if your stools are soft it is SO much better. Clean up is easy.

A side note is relevant here. Ordinarily we get a “dingaling” notification for a number 1 and an equally polite and distinguishable “bong” notification for a number 2. After surgery, these “notifications” are replaced by a punk rock head banging screaming band whose noise completely terrifies your respective outlets into involuntary paralysis and they revolt and go on strike. This is where the medication is supposed to help by calming all the parties down and getting them back to work. If and when they return to work, its going to be with a whole new set of rules. They will pretend to be back at work when they're actually just getting even with you. Either way, be prepared to deal with a mutiny of both outlets.

3.Take regular baths in Epson salts – I found this very soothing.

4.I use an off the shelf numbing gel on my anus and found this really helped with the multiple open wounds I have on the outside after both surgeries. I would also smear this numbing gel onto a gauze pad I folded in half and inserted between my butt cheeks before pulling on a pair of underpants to hold it in place. I was able to carefully monitor any discharge by examining this gauze pad that I replaced at regular intervals.

5.Keep your sense of humor and laugh even though it hurts – you’re alive and the pain will pass.

• Posted

Read your "side note," and it made me smile...body getting even with you is so true, and it always disappoints me when body behaves this way. It's the body's call for help, I think. Sort of like a misbehaving, attention-seeking 2-year old (I had three...). :-)

• Posted

Did you have to push hard when you have had first stool ?

• Posted

I thought I would reply to this topic regarding this Surgery.

I am three days past the surgery and believe my experience could help others wondering if they should continue. Please do the surgery - Life without these will make you so much happier.

I have been scheduled 3 times to have this surgery and each time I had to cancel it due to the forums and general feelings regarding this surgery. (People saying its Hell on earth and most painful thing ever)

I have a feeling that these are all dues to a few things and I would like to share.

1. Lack of preparation.

I am not going to sugar coat this. It is a very uncomfortable surgery. But the benefits far outweigh the few days of being uncomfortable. What I mean about preparation is this. The day before the surgery you should go on a liquid diet and also clean your system out as if you were prep for a colonoscopy. They make you drink a gallon of the more nasty drink (available at the pharmacy) that will keep you on the toilet most of the day. You only can stop when you are pooping clear liquid with no solid what so ever. From that point you can only drink chicken Broth ,water and Jello. I know its hard but trust me this is the key to you being the person that tells someone this was hell on earth or just a difficult and uncomfortable time.

2. My surgery was the next day around 6pm so I was so hungry but I know I had to keep my colon clear of any solid. I was then given my IV ( which was the worst part of this whole experience) I was very nervous due to all the negative reviews I had read and most were terrible. I know we all have different pain tolerance but if I can tell you one thing I am terrible with pain. Even a shot is too much for me.

I was put under and woke up in recovery. The first thing I felt was a need to go poop. I had 2 large hems removed and 2 that were tied off- ligation. I had a button to press when I needed a boost of pain meds.

I can tell you after the whole night the system said I only pressed it 6 times. The nurses were shocked.

It was not as bad as I imagined the worst part was the feeling of pressure and fake feeling like you had to poop. And that was the tied off hems.

I was admitted overnight for pain management in the hospital. I now know I could have gone home and would have managed it just fine as the pain was more of a uncomfortable announce with a bit of stinging sensation once in a while then full on pain as I had read in so many posts.

I asked my surgeon to only prescribe me 3 days of narcotics as I know they are not good for you and cause constipation. I also told him that I would stay on a liquid dies for days after which he thought was a great idea.

3. At home the chicken broth and Jello was all I had for days. Was it hard yes and It will be a while till I have Jello again. But what it did was insure that my butt had enough time to repair before a solid poop would have to be handled. Popping liquid does not create pain and was very easy. Then jumping in a hot bath. I kept up with my meds and I will share the meds that I had and how they made this whole experience totally pain free.
    4. Pain meds - Diazepam 5 mg - This stops the Anal sphincter from spasm- taken every 8 hours. 3 days worth
    5. Tramadol HCL 50 MG- Pain meds for 3 days - taken every 6 hours.
    6. Cream for your anus - Diltiazem 2% and Lidocaine 2% ointment - This was applied 3 times a day before a poop.
    7. I would also take Tylenol and ibuphophen when I took my pain meds. Alternating them. every 5 hours.

I spend almost 2 years from my first appointment to get these horrible things taken off and cancelled so many time because of the horror stories people have posted on here. I want to be the voice that tells you that it does not have to be so hard. Speak to your doctor and ask for the meds to clean your system out the day fore your operation. I still have not needed to pass a stool giving my butt time to heal. I am sure when I do it will be unpleasant. But I can only imaging if someone still has solids in their colon and had to pass this after the surgery. It must be like passing a hot coal.

When you walk around you butt will feel like it is bruised. But everyday it gets better.

My doctors notes say to expect 1 to 4 weeks of pain. He made no excuse that this is a painful surgery.

But I can tell you that I have had hems get bad at my kids birthday party, at many events and work. Causing me to bleed all through my clothes. It is just not worth it. Get the surgery and be done with them. Just make sure to prep and have things ready to manage those pain for those 3 days. IT IS NOT AS BAD AS YOU THINK. Keep in mind what life will be like after they are gone.

Also getting up and moving is important. The first thing I did in recovery is get out of bed and have the nurses walk me to the bathroom. I can see just sitting in bed will slow recovery down.

I hope this helps a few people sitting on the fence scared like I was with all the negative reviews. Most are not that bad. You can do it like I did and 3 days after I have no more pain just a butt that feel like its bruised.

• Posted

In the off-chance that you see this, 4 years later, how did the pain compare to the pain of the fissure? I've had a fissure, and my doc is recommending the hemmhoroidectomy. While the pain from the fissure was pretty bad at times, I wouldn't use some of the words people have used for the surgery, like "horrific," or "excruciating." The pain from the fissure fluctuated from 5 to 8 on the pain scale.

• Posted

I am scheduled for a hemorrhoidectomy in a month. Having severe anxiety and scared based on all of the posts of excruciating pain I have read post op. I will be home the first week and can work remotely on my computer when needed. My work is mostly sedentary with no physical exertion at all.

Can anyone describe in non medical terms the level of pain (scale from 1 to 10) and what it feels like post op? Sharp, dull, burning, throbbing/combination of? And, is it reasonable for me to be able to participate in a council meeting remotely from the comforts of my home (even laying down) 4 days post op? Surgery (in/out patient) is on a Friday afternoon and council meeting is the following Tuesday evening. Any helpful post op tips is appreciated!

• Posted

hi Dawn. I’m just about a week post surgery and it gets better day by day. i stopped taking the narcotic after 3 day bc i hated the way it made me feel. im taking Advil and Tylenol around the click along with coalace, ducolax, and sometimes a dose of milk of magnesia. stay ahead of the pain. you should take thebpain meds/OTC pain relief as directed. but stay on top of it.

bm's take life out of me. it feels like an excorsism of getting the evil poop out of my body. its pain that i have never experienced before. sitz baths are your friend. a nice hot bath to first clean and then soothe your shocked body and relive the pain is key. make sure your job also knows. be prepared to take a little time off. im starting my second week away from my teaching job, and honestly i dont know how i would be able to be working right now (i was going to zoom teach, but this is too much). the thing i really regret is not taking care of this sooner.

see how you feel the day before the meeting. you want to be present and not feeling the ill effects of surgery. i really wanted to teach, but my wife even put her foot down and stood next to me as i wrote my school principal. you have to do what is best for you and not anyone else.

hope that helps. good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.