Hemorrhoidectomy recovery is brutal

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello. I'm a 47 year old female who had a hemorrhoidectomy 8 days ago. This is the most vile surgery to recover from as you're expected to poop over and through the surgical site! My first BM was on post op day 4 and the pain almost made me pass out and throw up. Granted, I did not take any pain medication before it, which was a mistake. The description I saw of feeling like you're passing razor blades is true. Luckily, the BM's after that have been progressively more tolerable.

Even passing gas hurt initially. The smell of it is extra foul, like something died. Then there's the bleeding and discharge from your rear end.

I apologize for being so negative. The main point I want to get across is that this surgery should be your last option after you've tried everything else. I dealt with hemorrhoids for 15 years and had a stapled hemorrhoidectomy in 2015. That procedure failed after 3 good years. My hemorrhoids came back as external and internal grade 3-4.

My quality of life was affected and this most recent surgery was my only option to finally be rid of those S.O.B's.

I am finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, though. Every day is a little bit better. Every BM is a little less horrific.

Maybe I'll post an update in a few weeks when I'm more healed and have a better attitude.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

Glad u are comming along ...I can definitely sympathize with u! The best thing u can do is poop. Poop alot, twice or three times a day if u can or u will end up like me, I developed Anal Stenosis and couldn't poop for 3 weeks. I ended up having another surgery, 4 months later, to remove scar tissue and to open my anus back up! I can tell u it didnt work all that well, I still take Mirilax everyday, however I am able to go now! ..This has been the worse experience of my life and, I would also have to agree with u again....DONT EVEN CONSIDER HEMORRHOID SURGERY UNLESS IT IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!!

• Edited

Yikes! I'm sorry you had to go through that! OK, so I need to do more of what I hate. Message received. I'm glad you made it through your ordeal. I'll hope for both of us to never need another surgery on that region again!!

• Posted

i feel for you having been through it myself. And in my experience the RAFAELO treatment is no less painful.

• Posted

That was my experience with my first procedure that was supposed to include minimal pain and downtime. That was B.S. (or rubbish if you're from England 😃 I think they're all painful and require a longer recovery period than what we are told.

• Posted

Amber, sorry to hear. Unfortunately your story is the norm. You are not alone and it will improve over time. Keys to pain relief for me were hot baths, exercise, cream, and alcohol. Best of luck.

• Posted

Thanks. The stories, including yours, on this forum helped me mentally and physically prepare beforehand. I lived in the bathtub the first several days and still spend a lot of time there. Adding wine to the mix is a great next step 😃

• Posted

any creams specifically??

When i asked my surgeon if i should use some to help the pain he said no, but alot of replies say they use numbing cream so im confused 😦

• Posted

I couldnt agree with you more, it's like you took the words right out of my mouth. The ONLY way to have a successful non horrific recovery is to put me to sleep for an entire week or two. Give me laxatives, fluids and wake me up after the first few bowels movements and pain and suffering.

I truely say this is the worst human pain I have ever felt. I am in my 2nd week and just passed some long suture in my bowel movement, At this point my rear end could totally fall off and I would atleast feel some relief.

• Posted

Amen to everything you said! I am day 9, so we are at the same point in recovery. I have been very regular with normal BM's twice every morning, so I knew that 2 days after surgery the first one was coming...and boy oh boy, I had no idea what I was in for. Where in the name of the lord is that smell coming from, I can't stand it and want to shower 10 times a day! I wanted to do the stapling as it is less invasive, but the surgeon advised against it as I had Grade 4, and one very large hem was prolapsed. He indicated they could come back with stapling, and the Hemorrhoidectomy has a much better success rate. I'm 57 and started with them after my first child was born 28 years ago. Back then they would come and go, but the last 5 years have been pretty bad - I had to give in and have the surgery. So true how it affects so many aspects of life, I could go on forever: Exercise, intimacy, the feeling of never being clean there, needing to have wipes on hand wherever I went, constantly pulling away underwear if it even touched the area and trying to do so discreetly so it didn't look like I was picking at my arse 😃

I, too, am feeling the last 2 days as if things are getting a little better. Yes, there are still razor blades during and after a BM, but I no longer feel like I'm giving birth with the heavy breathing, sweating, and pure fear of passing out from pain. Looking forward to your updates!

• Edited

I am 45 and just had my hemorrhoidectomy on February 5th. The pain is just as you described 🤕 The pain is unexplainable. My doctor didn't warn me of the extreme pain and to add to that I now have a tighten sphincter muscle causing me to now take a medication to help relax my muscles. If this doesn't work my next course of treatment will be botox down there to help relieve the pain. In short try any and ALL treatments before having this surgery. I personally have had 4 kids (3 pregnancies) and even carrying twins doesn't compare to this pain. The nerve endings really come alive after this surgery. 😪🤯

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.