Hemorrhoidectomy/Recovery/Skin Tags

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey everyone, I see a lot of posts regarding hemorrhoidectomy's... I'm now on week three, after having two large hemorrhoids excised ... and although the pain has, thankfully, subsided (talk about a nightmare)... I am still experiencing a little bleeding, and also have skin tags.

My questions are, how long did it take most of you to fully heal, when were you able to get back to exercising again (jogging, lifting weights etc) , have any of you experienced skin tags (if so did they go away naturally) and how long did you continue to take the stool softener?

Z

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I would make an appointment with your doctor for them to check things out.
  • Posted

To fully heal can take up to 6 months but after 6 weeks you should be ready to get back to life, for the stool softeners I kept taking as needed, and for the skin tags, I didnt have, I dont understand why a surgeon would leave excess skin when removing the piles,
  • Posted

I’m about 8 weeks out.  I consider myself 99% recovered although I still have the occasional minor issue.  I still use gauze pads two times per day.  I never stopped running.  I stopped lifting for 6 weeks but am now back at it with no restrictions.  At week three I was still in bad shape.

I have had no skin tags.

I still take stool softeners in the form of Fiber gummies daily.  I have no plans to stop.  I stopped more aggressive stool softeners around week 5-6.

I am super conscientious about hygiene in the area.  I have always been, but now at an almost OCD level.

• Posted

I had my surgery exactly 3 weeks ago and i still cant say i m even 50% recovered, yes the excruciating pain has subsided but discomfort/ pain specially after BM is still an issue. I m doing my day to day work at home, cooking etc but i still can't sit properly. So i m either walking around or lying in bed/ couch. Also still taking painkillers and lexatives regularly hence toilet visits are atleast 4-5 times a day. This board has been really helpful as you don't feel alone. I would suggest you to see your doctor regarding skin tags, i hope these are just swelling. i had 2 skin tags alongwith with 2 external piles, but those were removed during surgery .

Best of luck!!

• Edited

Hi ,

Everyone heals differently . However , generally it takes a minimum of 8 weeks and could last to 4 months . In my case , I am on week 8 now and I feel that I am 90% healed . As for skin tags , mine has diminished in size drastically but never completely disappeared. 

As far as stool softener , I never took them . I just ate a lot of food rich with fiber . Now I eat normal but I do take Metamucil.i suggest that you continue eating food with fiber , drink plenty of water , take your stool softener , take your sitz bath until the pain or discomfort is 100% gone during bowl movement . 

Good luck !

• Edited

I'm now just past week three... I did speak with my doctor, he said they may shrink, but won't ever go away on their own.

I'm going to have them removed in a couple of months.... he said if he did it now they could return.... so he's gonna wait...

Here's hoping.... I just want a normal butt again.... lol

• Posted

Same goal here, want a normal butt again. Has anyone had that after hems surgery? If not, I might be better off to put up with the things (Grade IV, protruding), but really...squishy lumps not fun to sit on, and feeling them moving around makes me pay too much attention to my butt! So frustrating...
  • Edited

Same boat. 3 and a half weeks out now and most of the main pain is gone but the swelling is driving me nuts. The only thing that really hurts these days is the little bit of swelling sticking out. Feels just like a prolapsed hemorrhoid so it makes sitting/ standing uncomfortable. The consensus online is that we'll probably have this swelling for anywhere up to 2 months post op... The pain of the first week really sucked but this endless waiting game with swelling I feel like is almost just as bad! I'm so swollen up down there still I'm pooping out what looks like credit cards, lol. 

Any improvement for you guys? 

• Posted

Hello. Not sure if you will get this, but how are things for you now?

I am currently 4 weeks after my surgury, and I still have this painfull flap of skin sticking out of my butt. I dont know if its swelling, or a skin tag or what. I just know that it hurts and causes a lot of discomfort. My doctor said (2 weeks ago) that it should be gone in 4 weeks, but its been 2 weeks and it hasnt shrunk at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.