Hemorrhoids controlled my life for almost 20 years..not anymore

Posted , 5 users are following.

i wanted to share with you my experience regarding having my hemorrhoids removed. I suffered for around 20 years with prolapsed hemorrhoids . It controlled my life. Every time i went to the loo i would need around 6-8 hours to recover. I would be in excruciating pain, would leak and in general just miserable. I finally went and had surgery, my biggest fear. I was told its the most painful procedure hence the 20 year delay. What a stupid thing to do. Yes the operation was painful but not nearly as painful as what i thought. Its more the recovery that's painful but it only lasts a week or two but good pain killers take care of that. My first trip to the loo was my biggest concern however it went off well. Its 1,5 months ago now that i had the operation and I'm 98% healed. It was honestly a life changing move and i can honestly kick myself for not doing it 20 years ago. I missed out on so much because of this condition. My advice to anyone suffering a similar fate, go have the operation, it will change your life.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Hello Alvin,

Huge congratulations with your successful surgery and thank you for sharing a positive experience regarding haemorrhoidectomy. I had a much shorter experience, but last year three large Grade 3 (at the operation they were already 'very large Grade 4' ) prolapsed haemorrhoids took control of my life. Well, while waiting just for being told the date (!) for my NHS appointment (I naively thought it would be in 3 weeks...) I learned a hard way how to reduce manually after each BM these speedy progressing horrors - standing on all fours in the bathroom using reversed gravity and wet paper kitchen towel with some cream and walnut's internal skins water (for tannins as natural reducer and antiseptic).... I went private instead, months before even my scheduled appointment with the NHS Consultant (6 months after GPs referral) - for me it was worth every penny. A best decision to end the agony and suffering. I was deadly afraid the pain. But even on the 5th day after my LigaSure Haemorrhoidectomy for three very large 4th grade haemorrhoids I felt already better than before the surgery..! I even didn't really need my (every 6 hours 60mg) Codeine just 2 1/2 days after operation (and I am not good with pain). Good bowel preparation before the surgery, liquid diet and Movicol with Diltiazem 2% cream made wanders - I am on 8th day after surgery and feel almost fit (while doing not much to be fair), but still trying not to rush and take it easy) Still a bit down after BMs (even of yoghurt texture) as it expected, but a rest and paracetamol help.

This Forum taught me a lot, especially about the importance of bowel preparation and the low residue diet days after operation (not yet high fibre for bulky stools while the area is so raw - a mistake many doctors make) and quizzing my surgeon about my fears about complications, damaged sphincters etc. He promised not to damage them and to save as much healthy tissue as possible to avoid stenosis and leakage. A good idea was to choose a surgeon with specific interest in haemorrhoids and him being able to perform all the relevant surgeries so when he suggested the best option for me, I was not wondering if it just because this is the only operation he knows....

I hope my experience could help someone.

Good health to you, and thank you for giving your time and energy back to the forum, to help the other fellow sufferers here to make a decision.

• Edited

Thank you for reading, and apologies for my English (it is not my first language)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.