Hemorroids nightmare - banding or stapled dilemma

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve been spending hours reading patients comments on hemorroid procedures trying to educate myself on procedures but just scaring myself silly. Still, everyday I read them over and over.

Nearly 3 weeks ago I had 3 grade 2 hemorroids rubber banded along with a large mucosal prolapse double banded. It wasn’t painful and there was no bleeding.

There doesnt seem to be much improvement, piles and mucosal lining are still prolapsing. But I'm scared of having the stapled hemorroidopexy which the consultant says I will need as a last resort. Life is miserable with constant pain and discomfort from the rear end, but what is recovery from the stapled operation like and is it successful long term?

Everything I read about the stapled procedure says things can go very wrong if the surgeon is not experienced, along with the fact that the staples stay in your rectum for life. Surely that would cause pain too.

Life is currently ‘on hold’ and has been for 6 months. No more running & dancing, no days out & about, a holiday cancelled, limited daily walks and just being stuck at home. I know that people suffer with far worse ailments but it doesn’t help the depressing mind shift I’ve experienced from constant discomfort and from being active to being limited in everything.

Reading patients comments has been supportive even though scary. To know other people have been through similar is also comforting to a sufferer, so thank you to all.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hey Emha, don't worry you are definitely not alone! It is truly such a horrible thing that we go through with these hems. I had banding done twice which did make improvements but definitely did not solve the issue, whenever I have a bad BM I will still get flare ups. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever not have issues with this and it is depressing, but I suppose we have to try to keep positive although sometimes easier said than done. In regards to your doctor saying that your last resort will be the stapled procedure did he go over any others? Most of the time people are recommended the traditional hemorrhoidectomy. It is apparently a very painful procedure to heal from however it has a high success rate..

• Posted

Thanks Jake, it’s good to talk about these things with people who know how much discomfort and messing with our minds pesky hemorroids can cause.

Only stapled hemorroidopexy was offered because the large mucosal prolapse needs to be pulled up and stapled in along with its 3 attached hemorroids! But the surgeon said it’s not as painful as a full hemorroidectomy.

All the best with your management of yours too.

• Posted

Hi dear

I surly know what you are going through, it's very painful, my life also was on hold for few months.

Did you consider doing the HAL-RAR surgery? It's the most less painful surgery with high rates of success.

Do some research about it on Google, the idea is to shrink the hemorrhoids, but it takes some time till it shrinks.

Good luck

• Posted

why dont you consider going for the traditional hemorrhoidectomy? it seems to me that many people undergo multiple other procedures with various results which do not offer long term relief and often only prolong their misery and poor quality of life. i understand everyone is different but my experience wasnt as painful as i thought it would be after reading reviews. i am so glad i did and would definitely do it again. Best of luck!

• Posted

Thank you for that advice. I’m coming round now to the idea of ‘one operation to get it all done with’!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.