Hemrhoid surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

omg, what a nightmare. I had one internal & one very large external removed wednesday. ive had constipation & thombbrossed hemrhoids since i had my oldest kid 12 years ago. a few months ago the hemrhoid became huge so it was decided it was time. surgery went fine & I woke up feeling well. i felt sore but ok. i walked around the house & ate dinner. yesterday i pooped about 2 tablesppons of squishy yellow goo. it hurt like hell but i fell asleep right after. i was feeling ok but the pain was coming. hot showers & bath helped. now last night i was up all night in agony. pressure to poop & pain. the only thing that gives relief is showers & baths. i basically crept around my house moaning. im taking a pain killer plus advil & tylenol. Colace & metamucil & i took 2 tablespoons of mineral oil. i took 4 advil & ice packed my butt & fell asleep soundly for 4 hours. when i woke up i felt 80% better but within a few minutes the pressure to poop hurt like hell. i started my kids dinner & all of a sudden i had to run. i had to stand in the shower with the water running in my butt but i pooped three formed stools fairly quickly & with minimal effort. it was hard stool & it bled about a tablespoon. after i cleaned it up i got directly into the clean tub & boy does this hurt.

i knew this surgery would hurt but i had no idea this bad. i feel like im dying.

how are you all doing & any advice or words of wisdom?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hey girl...take sitz baths. I had it done last Wednesday. I pooped in the sitz bath and jumped into the shower right after. It sounds gross but it relaxes your muscles. I even pied in it. i also take Magnesium to make my stool soft.

• Posted

hi JUDITH

advise :

eat nothing but fiber rich food

drink a truck load of water whether you feel like it or not

take your pain medication before BM

Use sitz bath at least 4 times a day and certainly after BM

GOOD LUCK !

• Posted

well after i wrote that i got a piercing pain & jumped back in the tub and had another huge BM. soft and mushy. came out easily but the pain was immense! i couldn't stop moaning & crying. i've never had such pain in my life. i thought i would die. my kids were upset & I didnt know what to do so my dad took me to the ER. i was howling in pain, couldnt even get dressed! went there in my robe! apparently i was medicating all wrong. i was taking the meds 4 hours apart but only taking one kind. they gave me a shot of ibuprophren & tylenol & sprayed a lidocaine type spray on my bottom. it took a while but the pain subsided greatly. they told me to lay off the hot showers & tubs & get a sitz bath like steph suggested. i came home and promptley pooped again. i was able to do so sitting on the toilet & it came out easily but this time there was blood but i felt ok. i got into my sofa & slept soundly from 11-2:30. i just woke & i feel sore but nowhere near a few hours ago. its almost 6 hours so i took the meds & here we are.

• Posted

hi JUDITH

i hate to be the one to give the bad news but i went ,and believe most of us , went through what you are experiencing .

first week after surgery pain registering 12 out of a scale of 10

second week : pain index 9

third : relief starts

so hang in there , it will get better and by week 6 to 8 , you should be 90% healed

• Posted

Omar is absolutely correct. Unfortunately your description is the norm. We feel for you! But there is no substitute for time. I agree with Omars timelines above. There are plenty of other stories on this site in different threads that will make you at least feel that you are not alone. It will get better!!

• Posted

Hi, the pain will ease with time, you need to take pain killers and stool softeners and of course eat light stuff. I would get some fibre suppliments to help you along. I used sitzbaths after each BM, that helped a lot to get the pain away. Blood will come out as the wounds inside are still raw, I still get a bit now and then (5 weeks post op). If the pain is very bad you will need some 'industrial' pain killers, ask your doctor. I felt the same way after surgery, many times wishing I hadn't had it done.

• Posted

yes i totally think i made a mistake having this surgery. my hemrhoid was huge but the pain was manageble with advil & metamucil.

anyway, the biggest issue is the piercing pain before i poop. the pooping itself is bearable but after im moaning in pain. ive been taking the med combo every 5 1/2 hours and that seems to work better. its been about 18 hours since ive had a bad pain bout. im terrified to eat though. as well as no appetite. friday i couldnt eat, yesterday i had a scrambeled egg and 1/2 bowl chicken noodle soup. in the evening i had a small milkshake. so far today just a few saltines. going to have soup soon.

i do so appreciate your support & advice. its nice to not feel all alone.

• Posted

communicating with people who have gone through the same, or are going through the same, is a big benefit and has been much appreciated

• Posted

so honestly today was much better. only one bout of howling pain. had three BM - all liquid but only the first had blood. i took one warm shower in the morning the rest of the day used the hand held device to wash off my bottom with cool water.

I slept quite a bit today off & on. Four 90 minute naps.

I managed to eat a bowl of soup, a few saltines, cup of tea & a bowl of oatmeal. i have severe anxiety of eating & getting a hard stool.

thanks again everyone.

• Posted

good stuff, blood will be from the fresh wound, if it is bright and hasn't got any severe discolouring then it will be fine. Keep eating, fruit, veg to keep the bowels moving and get some stool softener.

• Posted

Hang in there Judith!

Just think... my surgery is not scheduled for 11 more days & you are so far ahead of me!! lol

I am having a colonoscopy on 10/25 & then hem surgery (several inside & outside) on 10/26! I am dreading it to the point of having anxiety attacks!

I hope you continue to heal & improve with each passing day!

Jen

• Posted

today was day 7. i felt much better most of the day. i had a bit more appetite. had a small chia waffle for breakfast, chicken rice soup for lunch, some grapes, tea & a small pot pie with a small serving of squash. oh and a few goldfish pretzels. two liquid easy to pass bms. had alot of trouble getting to sleep last night. i slept from 2-6:30 then again 12-2. did some laundry, wrote some bills, made kids easy dinner. i was feeling pretty good but then i pooped a partially formed stool & ive been in pain ever since. i seem to have a swollen bump down below too. i hope i get some sleep tonight though. dr called & said they generally do not refill the pain killers though so that worries me.

• Posted

good job on the eating side, being in pain after a decent BM is normal as the sides are still raw and tight. Depending where you live you can ask your doctor or A&E to prescribe some INSTILLAGEL its a local anesthetic which you apply to the area in question and after a sharp sting it will numb the area providing pain relief. Had some given to me and it helped a lot in the initial stages. The doc should give you a repeat prescription if you need it.

• Posted

so here we are 2 1/2 weeks post surgery and doing quite well. I went back to work part time today and although I am very tired I did OK. I have had one difficult stool in the past week or so but mostly I’ve been OK. Still some discomfort when going but haven’t had any real pain in over a week! I’ve been back to a normal routine since about last Thursday although like I said I still get tired and I definitely am watching what I eat. I hope you are all doing well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.