Heparin

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

I am on lifelong anticoagulation due to significant episodes of DVT and PE's. I take 5mg of Apixaban twice a day.

I am due to have surgery on my right elbow tomorrow morning and my Consultant Haematologist has set up a care plan for me.

This plan involves a regime of self injection of Heparin, which I commenced just now with an initial high dose injection.

I may be worrying too much, but will this initial high dose cover me until my next injection post surgery tomorrow evening? I assumed that the half life of Heparin was 12 hours.

Many thanks in advance!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HI

This is the same as i had when i had surgery, the heprin stays in your system for longer than you think. But if your still worried ask when you get the hospital or give them a ring before you go. Best of luck xx

• Posted

Many thanks Alison. I am probably worrying too much - sure my Haematologist knows what she is doing!

• Posted

As long as you have a routine when taking medication, its alright. As long as you do not go off key for a while. A week is a long time to go cold turkey when on injections. Injections are more powerful than tablets, but they cause higher rate of side effects. I prefer tablets, my sister has injections. Just keep a routine when taking medications. To go off key for a day is not a problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.