Hepatitis B immunisations

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've had my first hep b jab in september 2013 when i started a nursing degree, i then left that university before i had the 2nd and 3rd jabs, now i've started on a different nursing course and i need to have had all 3 before i can work in the hospital, i know that you are supposed to have 2nd jab a month after the first and the 3rd 5 months after, obviously i havent had the last 2. I've got my innoculation history and it says the 1st jab that i had expires in febuary 2015, in 4 months time. Does it mean that i now have to have the 1st jab again and then the last 2 or can i just have the 2nd and 3rd now? will i have to have the 2nd and 3rd before the 1st expires in febuary 2015? any help would be very much appreciated, thank you smile

Maybe one day i can post on patient.info as a 'Professional' when i'm a fully qualified nurse smile

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You can pick up where you left off. Go ahead and get the second jab now and get the third five months later.  (The recommeded schedule calls for the first jab, second jab 4 weeks after the first and the third jab five months after the second.)  It's also wise to get a titer done when you are through to make sure the vaccination "took". I received the Hepatitis A & B vaccine (Twinrix) and four months following the completion of the series, I had my titer checked to make sure I had the immunity.  Best of luck in your nursing career Claire.  BTW did they also require you to get a BCG vaccination? It's also wise to have had your MMR and Tetanus/Diptheria/Pertussis jabs up to date.
    • Posted

ah thank you! and yes i've had mmr and am booked in for my bcg rolleyes leaves a nasty scar i've seen but better that than to get TB i guess! i was on the accelerated course when i was having the 1st jab where i'd have 2nd 7 days after 1st and 3rd 21 days after 2nd but i left university inbetween the 1st and 2nd so didnt get it done, now my new nursing course wants me to have them all done as soon as i can but i didnt know if i'd have to have 1st again, thank you! smile
  • Posted

I'm old enough to have had the smallpox vaccination. It leaves a dime sized mark on your upper left arm (but it was better than getting smallpox!)  People react differently to the BCG vaccine. It should leave a scar if the vaccination is successful but the size really depends on several factors. Most of the time, it's the size of the tip of a pencil eraser. Sometimes a person will get it on their back so it won't show as bad. I don't mind my scar and I was glad to get my vaccination. Being in health care you should do everything possible to prevent getting sick and vaccinations are so important.
  • Posted

You don't have to start the course again. You will just need to have your second now and third 5 months later. Good luck with your nursing! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.