Hepatitus C Geno Type 1 ( New Medication Works )

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello

This is to update the community of those who have a connection to hepatitis in some way. Especially geno type 1.

?I had lived with being hep c positive for approximately twenty years. I begun a twelve week course of new medication eight weeks ago. The virus load was  (1,200,000) at the beginning of the course. On the fourth week the virus load had been reduced to an amazing  (28). On the sixth week blood test the virus is now not detected. My liver function test is normal though my liver has a slightly above average fat content, this too can be reduced through diet and exercise. I still have four weeks of treatment left as I have completed eight weeks now. 

?This is reassuring news and much welcomed  for those awaiting or just to begin treatment. The medication I have been prescribed is Exviera dasabuvir / Viekirax ombitasvir-paritaprevir-ritonavir / Ribavirin . For all those who may be hepatitis positive, pursue the treatment as it is becoming more available, as the cost although still considerable has lowered and more health authorities are able to offer the treatment than in previous times.

?For any one that may be in a state of panic as to whether they may have the virus, the worst case scenario is that even detected positive, the rate of success of cure with the new treatment I have been informed by the hep c team who kindly manage my treatment is a staggering 98% which is brilliant news the hep c community has been needing for a long time.( On hope, foundations are built ) This news is a message of hope, keep focused and whatever your circumstances I hope this news brings comfort and a renewed sense of direction.

?If any one has any questions to the treatment and it's side effects, you are welcome to reply.

?

Regards

Robert

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Is this a new medication other then the harvoni? The harvoni gives some bad side effects as it gave me..
    • Posted

Hello Kennyatw

​As far as I am aware, Harvoni being the brand name for the combined anti viral drug agents Ledipasvir/sofosbuvir is prescribed to adults who have (CHC) Chronic hepatitis C genotype 1.

​The medication that I have been prescribed, I was informed is the latest available in the field of treatments able to combat the hep c virus those with type 1, with an extremely high success rate. This medication is part of the same antiviral treatments used as with the anti viral medication you have experienced. The antiviral agents chosen will be dependent on the stage of the hep c infection.

​The side effects that are commonly experienced are a combination of fatigue, insomnia, nausea, feeling low ie depression,, a low tolerance to daily normal social interactions and less patience than general. Each of these side effects I have experienced. Some days I have had very little motivation or energy and initially I was having sleep disturbance.

​To help with the insomnia the hep c team provided Zopiclone a low dose enough to help stabilise my sleep pattern,  and for the nausea Cyclizine an Antihistamine which combats feeling sick.

​There are interactions that can occur between the antiviral drugs and other medications, like all chemical agents the balance has to be right for them to work to their full potential. So it is essential that the hepatitis team assess the current medical treatments of each patient to make adjustments where necessary to prevent unnecessary interactions or one drug negating another if combined.

​What I have found essential is to set out each day to achieve goals how ever small and also to keep active, and hold a positive state of mind which will make a difference overall.

​If your treatment was recently it should have been in line with what was available at the time. I have been informed that with the health authority whom I am in care with, that injections are no longer being used in treatment, and available medications are improving at a good rate due to government policy adjustments and new breakthroughs. Though each health authority in the UK may be at a slightly different stage with this due to patient numbers and the new policy and medications being implemented from different areas initially then becoming more wide spread.

​You can check with the Hep C trust on up to date available medications for your area and up to date information concerning the virus.

I hope this is of some help to you and those that may be looking for some answers.

Respectfully

Robert

• Posted

This prescription can be.request by from doctor? Is it pricey? What's the noticeable side effects?

• Posted

Hello

​The treatment has to be by referral by a doctor to a hepatology team working within the area of the patient.

As far as I understand the treatment is quiet expensive, I was informed by the medical team who looked after me during treatment, that the medications total cost for the 12 week course was above 10k.

​The side effects that I experienced were, Fatigue, Itchy skin, Nausea, Sleeplessness, Feeling low and lesser tolerance to social environments.

I hope this is of some help.

Regards

Robert 

• Posted

Yes i took harvoni about 2 years ago and it was very pricey although my insurance paid for it and I am cured. It can cause side effects though and my neurologist told me i got peripheral neuropathy from it. My feet started feeling funny after my 3rd week on it so i got it checked out.  A lot of people are fine taking it but i guess i'm one of the unlucky ones

• Posted

HI

​Sorry to hear of the rare side effect, I hope that this will improve and in time you will reach a full recovery. But excellent news to hear of you also being cured.

​Keep Well

Regards

Robert

• Posted

Thank you, while there is no cure for neuropathy, I did get the report and 0.2 percent of people get the disease after using harvoni
    • Posted

I believe Harvoni is also capable of triggering autoimmune conditions in people. There is also no cure for that either. Is it not ironic that after you have spent time fighting an illness, its cure leaves you fighting yourself? Believe me, I am not laughing. 
    • Posted

We do not know whether( once we add up all the various) Harvoni long term side effects they indeed turn out to be so rare. What makes you so sure?

• Posted

I was diagnosed with hepatitis b in 2012 and I did the viral load a week ago and it shows 1656, so I would like to know the best treatment for this sick since I was told by my doctor that I need to start treatment, and at what stage can this virus start damaging ones internal organs especially the liver?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.