HER treatments. GP refuse to prescribe the Gynaecologists recommended dose... What do you do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a total hysterectomy nearly 30 years ago with removal of everything including my ovaries.

Despite this I'm still cyclic with massive depressive mood swings, bloating and even siezures.

Gynae put me on 3mg of oestrogen gel which stopped the problems but within months my skin thinned so much it scarred all over.

Moving onto patches the GP flatly refuses to give me the equivalent dose as its over the recommended limit at 150mg daily.

Help????

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

How awful, I'm sorry you're going through this. We all know that GPs aren't experts in this field, so I'd want to see someone who is and get their advice.

Can you go back to the gynae who prescribed the gel and ask them to prescribe something else?

• Posted

The patches I have used are Estraderm MX 100 (MX = matrix, allowing the oestradiol to be absorbed gradually) release rate is 100 ug/day. Each patch (2 per week) contains oestradiol 3 mg.

ug = mcg. You probably mean 150 mcg. While on patches, I also needed to use the gel on the 7th day as 2 per week were not sufficient for me. My body needed more.

I have since found a compound chemist who makes oestradiol pellets for implanting in the fat of my abdomen. Much, much better. My body takes what it needs when it needs it from the pellet.

As the size of the pellet (e.g. 100 mgs) relates only to how long it lasts for me and not the strength of what is absorbed, my last implant was 2 x 100mg, so that it lasted me longer (my body uses it up fast), and saves me having to pay postage twice, and the cost of another surgical implant.

It is strange that drs dish out too much progesterone, and not enough oestrogen which is what we need. Too many myths surround oestrogen.

I hope my experience helps you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.