Herbal remedies to reduce inflammation after TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I have two weeks until my left TKR and have read some things about reducing inflammation. I have seen something about chinese herbal remedies but cannot find much info - does anyone have experience if this in reducing inflammation?

Needless to say I am starting to get a bit jumpy about it and want to make sure I try everything possible to recover fully

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I take turmeric and find that helps a lot, although I take it for an inflamed tendon. It's never done much for my arthritic knees, but whether it helped post surgery I couldn't say. To be honest the best thing to reduce inflammation and swelling after your operation is ice and elevation. Ice for a minimum of 40 minutes at least 4 times a day and elevate your leg, toes above nose, on a lounge doctor or 4 pillows allowing a slight bend in the leg. If you do take any supplements please check with a pharmacist that they won't react with any other medication you may be taking and you shouldn't take any supplements for 2 weeks before your operation. I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

• Posted

Tumeric (curcumin) are not going to hurt you and may help. I had very little swelling post, been taking Super Bio Curcumin) for years. If you take it get some pepperin (black pepper supplement), it will help the curcumin with better absorption. Some curcumins are better than others. I use life extensions product. Good luck.

• Posted

i am 2 weeks and 3 days post-op, my second TKR. Both were extremely different. My surgeon required me to be off all herbal/vitamin supplements. Ice is the best advice. Get yourself an ACTIVE ICE machine - you can pick one up online! I've achieved incredible success with this knee - 125+ flexion and -5 extension. I OWE IT ALL TO ICING. After 2 weeks i am now permitted to return to my vitamins. BEST of luck to you - be good to yourself

• Posted

i am 2 weeks and 3 days post-op, my second TKR. Both were extremely different. My surgeon required me to be off all herbal/vitamin supplements. Ice is the best advice. Get yourself an ACTIVE ICE machine - you can pick one up online! I've achieved incredible success with this knee - 125+ flexion and -5 extension. I OWE IT ALL TO ICING. After 2 weeks i am now permitted to return to my vitamins. BEST of luck to you - be good to yourself

• Posted

Dont take anything before surgery incase it makes you bleed , even tumeric or fish oil will . Best thing just ice after and dont overdo it .

• Posted

Hi I had my ltkr 12 weeks ago and was advised by my nurse to stop all vitamin etc I was taking, 2 weeks before surgery. The consultant didn't want me to take anything except my necc medicines so I would check first. I excercised more this time and I have to say this tkr has been so much easier than last year's rtkr. I walked straight away no cane from 3 weeks sleeping 8 hrs dropped to paracetamol at bedtime only from, 4 weeks. Walking up and down stairs easily, riding my bike etc. Good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.