Herbs for CFS

Posted , 3 users are following.

Do any of you use herbs to treat your symptoms?

I've used them for several years after studying herbalism. I really couldn't manage without them and I've had improvements. I used to look like a ghost I'm told and getting out of bed was much harder than it is now.

I rarely get headaches now or diahorrhea, which used to be nearly all the time. I feel more energetic, though I'm still on the road to recovery. It takes time but herbs do gradually heal.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I'm wondering what you use for headaches? I've just started using Ashwagandha but its eary days.
    • Posted

I think with herbs it is always important to use LIVER specific formulas alongside others.
    • Posted

White Willow has pain killing properties and St John's Wort helps, but as I said I hardly ever get them now.
    • Posted

Funny you should mention Liver formulas because now and then I do liver detoxes and I'm about to do one soon, using Dandelion, Burdock root, nettles that I harvested from my garden, Slippery Elm Bark, Evening Primrose perhaps.

And liver flushes with lemons, garlic and olive and coconut oil. It always does me good but I haven't done it for ages. Thanks for reminding me! biggrin

• Posted

Good luck, liver is a VERY important organ to look after. Even though TCM did not work for me, i do still find myself drawn to their concepts of health, and the warm andd cold nature of foods, in TCM raw foods/juices are not recommended, they say the body likes to be warm. I came into my CFS on the back of 2 years juicing and i wonder even though i did feel really good did it have something to do with my illness ? I have not juiced in a good 8 months and have not improved so it might be nothing.
    • Posted

I can't see that juicing could be a cause. I've never heard of it doing it to anyone else and I've only ever heard of improvements from ME with juicing. The only thing I can think is that perhaps it could be pesticides in the raw foods?

I may be being ignorant but does TCM stand for traditional complementary medicine?

• Posted

Hi Georgia, TCM=traditional chinese medicine.

When i was juicing most was organic, impossible to always be organic these days. I loved to juice and i felt so good on it but since my CFS i've just lost faith in it, so am trying other things. Weird journey. I guess if everything else fails i'll go back to juicing eventually... ?

• Posted

Oh of course! Must be having a brain dead day! lol

I've made smoothies on and off throughout the illness and I feel really good about it but I go through phases of being sicker and not having enough energy or motivation to do the healthy things I need to be doing.

I'm in a motivated mode at the moment though and I must get back into eating porridge and smoothies. Oh a question for you. I have a cheap juicer, very basic but I've read that it's worth getting a more expensive one. There's a particular sort that juice differently but I can't remember much about it. What do you think?

And is juicing really better than smoothies or just eating the fruit and veg?

• Posted

Hi Georgia, juicing, they say MASTICATING is best method. I had a masticating juicer and i used it predominantly for greens as centrifugal shreds greens more than juices them. I often found that contrary to what you read the masticating did not produce MORE juice than centrifugal. I had a hurom juicer (which was awful) then a Samson Advanced which was much better. I had a Phillips centrifugal which was good. I think doing both juices AND smoothies best. Juices seem to be really good for detoxing. Lord knows i want to be back juicing again and feeling fantastic !
  • Posted

Hi Georgia,

I had a big belief in using adaptogenic herbs to help with my CFS in the beginning but i have been disappointed in relation to my own experience. I am 8 weeks into a 12 week programme of Herbs (chronic fatigue programme) and rather than getting better on this i have got worse. I also did 3 months with a TCM practitioner including 2 acupuncture sessions/week costing £500 month and again absolutely NO benefits. I don't want to put anyone off trying things CFS is such a varied condition that this might work for you even though it didn't for me.

I still take adaptogens daily, siberian ginseng, reishi, cordyceps and maitake, shitake, agarius mushrooms. There is good research behind these that they can be very beneficial.

• Posted

Wow that's expensive; I couldn't afford to pay a practitioner, which is why I took some herb courses and other courses so I can heal myself.

The thing I've found is that it takes a long time with herbs and recovery is slow and almost imperceptable at times. But when I look back at how I used to be 8-10 years ago I can definitely see an improvement. And I have days now where I don't feel ill; they're becoming more and more frequent.

It takes a great deal of patience as you're aware and I'm glad you haven't given up on the adaptogens. Kudos! razz

• Posted

what things have helped you Georgia ?
    • Posted

I use St John's Wort because it lifts my moods. Vervain balances the central nervous system. Valerian helps me to have a good night's sleep so I'm a bit more awake the next day. 

I have Candida, which I hear a lot of people with ME do, so I use Grapefruit Seed Extract and Myrrh for that. 

Passion Flower is a very mild sedative that calms me down and makes me feel happier when I get anxiety assocated with the illness. These are just a few of the herbs I use. Ginseng and Kola nut are good for energy.

I found that Kelp is extremely good for the thyroid. A book I recommend is 'Bartram's Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine' by Thomas Bartram. There's info about ME in it.

• Posted

Thanks, St.Johns wort i may try as i tried it before and it helped my moods and i believe it also has ant-viral properties. I used rhodiola for a while and it lifted my mood but then it stopped working probably because the body builds up a tolerance. Best of luck for 2015 !!
    • Posted

Yes it does have anti viral properties. I haven't heard of rhodiola but I'll look it up. I like trying herbs out that are new to me. I hope you have a great year and your health improves! cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.