Here again....

Posted , 5 users are following.

This site is brilliant, it helped me when i was at my lowest, and i slowly dragged myself out of extreme anxiety and depression, I dont know if anyone will read this but any help would be appreciated.

As of being feeling better for around 2 years, a compilation of things has came to this demon we call depression slowly taking hold of my life again piece by piece, i wont bore everyone with the long story of how the original case came to be, but i was really looking for any tips people could give to take the mind off that doesnt involve going back to the medication, or someone who would like to talk about it, anything that could help, small tips big ones, anything, i dont want to fall back into the trap again.

Any help appreciated

Hope everyone is well

AJ

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

Hey aj

How are you

It is good to share your problem, many people do not share their illness and get mad at themselves. Most shy away from describing a disease like depression. Can you tell how long you had been through this depression before and what you did for it?

• Posted

It started off with physical chest pain which turned into anxiety and through that, the depression came, that was around 4 years ago, its gotten better, but i still have flashes, panic attacks etc but nowhere near as bad as it was, thanks for the reply.

• Edited

hi AJ, sorry to hear that the clouds are starting to obscure the light for u again, after a good period.

I have been 5 years medication free, trying to fight severe depression (without the side effects of medication numbing me). it sounds obvious but take one day at a time & listen to your own body. never give up hope that the good days will outweigh the bad ones. try to ride out the bad days. mindfulness helped me (I learnt the techniques during group therapy & they have served me well over the years to calm me & help me focus on the present). whatever u can do to distract yourself from the emotional pain is good, as long as it doesnt harm u. Be kind to yourself. u have come a long way & your story is still unfolding. keep in touch with those who care & are good for your mental well being.

Keep in touch with us & let us know how u are getting on. 🙏

• Posted

Thank u so much for your reply, really nice words that I need, sorry for taking ages to reply, i may try group therapy heard good things from friends about it, dont want to get back on the meds, it only masks to problem, doesnt defeat it, good for a while dont get me wrong, but cant stay on them forever, thanks again, hope u are well.

• Posted

Thank you for the replies i recieved it helps, i mean it was only two who took the time to write on here, but anyhow, thank you.

• Posted

Hey AJ!

Sorry I saw your post a little late, I hope you are holding up well. The technique that I use to bring myself back from a panic attack is ofcourse to tell myself to breathe in and out and also I look around for five things. I tell myself okay what is around you, okay a book and what is this book, okay what is this book about. Then I do the same and look for four more things to divert my attention and the meanwhile I am trying to control my breathing. This exercise might be small but it does work wonders for me. Secondly, I got myself an emotional support animal. I had a cat before and added a dog to my family of pets and trust me they help so much. My dog starts a frenzy if I have a panic attack and it is sometimes exactly what I need to come back to reality. I would suggest getting yourself one and see how the unconditional love of an animal might save you even in the darkest times. Take care.

• Posted

Long time before reply im sorry but thank you for your reply and kinds words it helped alot!

AOW

• Edited

The answer is simple. Deal with the triggers to your depressive state and things will get better for you. Depression comes on its own but it can leave if you kick the habit. Deal with the reasons why you get depressed, these are more important than the feeling of depression itself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.