Here I am again

Posted , 8 users are following.

Here I am again. Thank God for my wonderful husband.

He deserves husband of the year. I would not have survived this if it wasn't for him.

Now I am going to get to my discussion.

I am almost 9 weeks since TKR. The surgery went great.

The surgeon was very pleased. I didn't have any extra weight, actually umder weight. He didn't have to cut

away fat or excess skin.

My knee Has never swollen. I can't walk much and have to use my walker because of my other knee. I have replacement surgery April 20th if I can make it that long.

After the first surgery I said never again. Now I am begging to have it done.

I am trying to have the next surgery ASAP.

The first surgery was the most painful surgery I have ever had. It was worth it. With all the pain, I would have the surgery again in a heartbeat.

If you are afraid of having the surgery, make sure you have a fantastic surgeon. That helps immensely. If you need knee replacement, don't walk, run to have it done. It has given me a new lease on life.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You're very lucky

I'm over a year and practically crippled.

• Posted

I am so sorry. If u have insurance, see if u can go to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. You shouldn't be like this. It sounds like something went wrong. If not Mayo, get a 2nd and a 3rd opinion. I was willing to pay out of pocket if I had to to get the treatment I needed. Thank God my insurance paid everything so far.

You are too young to be crippled from knee surgery.

Please let me know how it goes.

Have a blessed day!

• Posted

I myself used Mayo clinic in Rochester- they did my hip replacement and both knees. My first knee went really well- now I am having trouble with my 2nd knee and they have very little concern. I am finally seeing a PT for the first time ( now 8 weeks post TKR) for odd problems that have come up-- I am completely going backwards-- they really don't believe in using PT I was told-- and they don't see you until 12 weeks post-op--- I have a fair amount of frustration with them this time around unfortunately.. Glad I will be seeing a local PT on friday so someone will actually be looking at and evaluting my knee problems... Right now I can hardly walk as well... sad

• Posted

Hi Mary good luck with the next knee, I had TKR last May and it really is the best thing I've ever had done I'm 54 and could hardly walk now I'm walking great no pain and I'm getting my life back, I worked hard and  went for physio therapy three times a week since the operation I've got discharged from the hospital back in November but I still do three times a week at the gym and I do think this has helped a great deal, I really swelled up for about 10 weeks after the op and at first wished I never had it donebut anyone reading this feeling night that hang on in there it will get there in the end

• Posted

Hi Mary, I feel like you.  I am now at twelve weeks post eight knee TKR. My husband too was a hero whilst I went through four absolutely awful weeks. Some days I cried and wondered what an earth I had done.  It passed.  I'm still working on it and it is still stiff but getting better with every passing week.  No more arthritis pain!   Good luck to you and to everyone else considering this surgery.  

• Posted

Sounds very much like myself. I am determined to have the other knee done and would have if I didn't live alone with 2 dogs, my children. The spirit you demonstrate is heart felt and I am posting as much about my experience as possible to help others and me get through it.  It is mind over physical. Dr's can only do so much. It really is up to you to do the rest which is ongoing and for the rest of your life.  You've got spunk lady and I really appreciate your comment. Thanks, Matt

• Posted

I'm having tkr on Feb 21st. Nervous but will be glad to get it done. I love all the encouragement. So glad I found this forum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.