Here I go!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had chronic hemmorhoids for 10 years (I'm 29).  Well, 5 days ago, I had a bowel movement at work that left me in the all too familiar cold sweats!  Only this time, it was different.  I was left with what I've long had: a burning, shearing feeling at the front of my anus with two very large lumps, and an irritated feeling that would sting as I tried to stand up.  The straighter I stood, the worse it stung.

I called up a doctor after the weekend for an appointment at a Gastroenterologist as soon as possible which was yesterday.  He tells me that I need it taken care of (though he seems to have ignored--after I told him--the now-minimized mounds at the front of my anus).  He recommends me to the surgeon in the same building who looks and says, "Eh, it's not that bad.  I wouldn't recommend surgery; try a steroid cream."

Well, that night I had a bowel movement and OMG!  The twin peaks came roaring back and that irritation turned mad!  I called a doctor while at work for an immediate appointment with a surgeon with a better rating.  He takes the time to actually looks and spread em and says, "Well theres not much you can do in here for this, and these aren't going away on there own.  You have a grade 4 prolapse incarcerated internal hemorrhoid, which is what is giving you the pain right now.  This is going to die off on its own, but it could take a long time.  The other ones are thrombosed hemorrhoids which have a skin tag.  There's not much we can do in here for this either; we can talk about management, unless you want them gone..."

"I want them gone!"

"That's what I'd recommend; we can set you up tomorrow."

And sweet Jesus, relief will be coming.  I know they say the pain is horrible, but I really can't imagine it being anymore worse than the thrombosed son of a gun I have to deal with for EVERY BM.  Even so, to deal with it on pain killers is much more desirable than:

Bleeding

Leakage

Staining underpants and needing to wash jeans

Packing underwear

Sever pain with no pain killers

Fear to poop

Hard to pee with this prolapse

My God I can't wait!

I'll let you know how it goes and my support goes out to all of you braving it and having braved it!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Day 2

Welp, I've completed day 2 recovery.  Most of the day, the pain was about a 1 or a 2 except if I had to exert effort (such as sitting up).  The pain would reach a 2 or 3 temporarily, so I attribute this mostly to healing from the cuts.

I had about 3 BM's today with one of these really hurting about equivalent to the pain from the hemorrhoid (a 4 - 5).  However, I think the primary reason for the pain was that my first BM didn't eliminate everything so I probably had residual stuff coming out (that was my 2nd BM of the day), and those two BM's probably had more so 3 or 4 BM's worth of stuff.

After a sitz bath, the throbbing went away.

I finally slept through a night well, and the exhaustion is starting to wear off some.  I'm still struggling to stand for more than a couple of minutes, but I'm again sure that's due to the incision.  Hoping that I'll be more back to normal tomorrow.  I'm still taking Milk of Magnesia and Miralax in the morning to keep my stools soft along with two teaspoons of fiber supplement and bran cereals.

I've gained the ability to pee again though I still have to force it a little bit.

Overall, it's nice to not have the hemorrhoidal pain any longer, even though I still have pain.

• Posted

Well, I am now 9 days post op.  I've mostly come back to normal.  My back and pelvis feel weak (I'm sure that's because they are), but that's ok for now.  I've been walking around and sitting gently while continuing sitz baths.

As far as stools go, I probably got off the extreme high fiber diet a little fast, so my stools are a bit more stiff.  But I'm remembering my metamucil and will probably begin my mornings with a bran cereal to help.--though I'll eventually drop the metamucil, because I don't want to be one supplements through my dependent care years.

When I go to the restroom, I feel sharp pangs in my lower colon not at my rectum.  These subside with a sitz bath for the most party.  I also still bleed a little through the day and after restroom breaks.  I've not begun wiping yet though.

All I can say is: they aren't lying about psyllium fiber!  That stuff works miracles.  I was eating wheaties and oats daily to help, and my doc was like "Yeah, you're not getting enough."  Low and behold he is correct!  I may make fiber a part of every meal, cause my goodness that makes bathroom breaks fast and easy!

As for now, I've begun the itchy phase.  Last night is when it started, and it's not too bad.  Just wanna scratch it lol, but I'll refrain.  I still take my painkiller at night and I take my muscle relaxer as well.  As for skin tag, I can't tell if it's there.  It's not giving me any pressure down there now (like what a hemmorhoid feels like without the burning pain), so I'm thinking maybe it's gone already.

Thus far, this is the greatest thing I've ever done!

• Posted

I have been using psyllium husk regularly for the past 20 years. I didn't go through surgery. Still managing with ocasional flare ups! Yu can find a detailed information from Paul in this forum and my reply too. It might help others who do not want a surgery! Look for it in the forum.

• Posted

From what I've read, it appears that once a thrombose hemorrhoid becomes incarcerated (locked outside the cavity), there's really only two options: 1) let time finally rot it off by choking blood supply, or 2) surgery.  The other problem is that this same hemorrhoid was prolapsed, which appears to have surgery.

My big fear with fiber supplement such as psyllium husk is that as I get older, one day someone will feed me.  Will they know that I indeed need this?  This is particularly important to me as my dad is dementiad and incontinent.  Thus, I don't want to be in that position as I get older.

Thanks!

• Posted

It's now superbowl Sunday, and I can't get out of bed.

These skin tags hurt.  They don't hurt as bad as my hemmorhoids, BUT I've now got 3-4 of them.  My guess is that these are caused by pooling blood in the region that will subside over time.  The problem is that they don't like to be aggravated.

Either way, I'm planning to go back to work tomorrow.  I'm hoping that I can deal with it since I'll be preoccupied doing work.

From what I can tell, the inflared hemmorhoidal tissue is gone so actually going to the bathroom is quite pleasant.  The after effect of irritated skin tags, however, do hurt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.