Here I go again.

Posted , 8 users are following.

. After a span of more than 2 years here I am again with Diverticulitis. I have a lot of pain and before they would prescribe antibiotics I had to get a CT scan again. I had one two years ago. Actually I've had diverticulitis flare ups for many years. 99%require antibiotics which is very upsetting. The antibiotics are horrible and since the CT scan I have terrible diarrhea. I'm a mess!!! I was on a liquid diet for a day and then all heck broke loose and I had to go see my doctor. He wasn't available so I had a PA treat me and she insisted on a CT scan...which really started me feeling worse. I have pain all over my abdomen localizing on the left side. I'm back on rice and applesauce and I have a grandchildren graduation and party to attend so unfortunately everyone of my family will be effected. I can't say enough about staying away from seeds, nuts and skins. I honestly think this recent episode was caused by all of them. I had become too comfortable eating a little of everything and I'm sure that what caused the recent attack. I have been hospitalized once and I think personally I healed much faster and better with intravenous IV of antibiotics. They won't admit you for most symptoms of the disease unless you have a fever.

So today I feel horrible and am taking the meds with applesauce before and after. I've only had one dose of the antibiotics so I'm praying they start to work soon. I have a special (2 grandchildren)college graduation this weekend and if the diarrhea doesn't stop I doubt I can go. Hopefully I'll get some relief soon and can be there tomorrow. This disease is not new to me having had at least 2 episodes every year since my 50ties. I even went to a surgeon two years ago and he said it's not time. I'm thinking he feels don't mess with my insides unless it's the only alternative. I do fear surgery because I have had other surgeries and you just never know the results you will get. I know there are lots of good results but truthfully I have heard not pleasant ones too. I do know that I am the type of person that wants to be sure its the correct approach.

One more thing. I have heard that even with surgery and them cutting out the piece of colon you can have others attacks since the colon had lots of pockets in them and could flare up as well.

No easy answer but I know it's pretty depressing.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I am so SORRY!! I understand Ive had it twice in two years and just turned 60!! I DO understand! it is so horrible/ painful! I will be praying for you and hope you can make your special events but most important take great care of you and hope 🙏 we both only have two episodes of diverticulitis and it never comes back for either one of us again!!

• Posted

I feel for you, as I have had 3 attacks since Xmas and I have been really ill, I have extensive diverticular and also had a loot of blood in my stools, vomiting like something possessed and also have to go back in for the camera again. My dad had bowel cancer which he died from and my mams sister also had it. I too am having one hell of a bad time at the moment but 3 attacks in 4 months is getting too much to bare, the antibiotics they gave me metronidazole and cefalexin isn't easy to contend with either. I have had a lot of diareoha with the attacks as well. It's not an easy disease to manage and just praying this next camera doesn't show up anything more sinister, I am nearly 56 years of age and I have had symptoms since I was early 20s but they onlt found out 3 years ago when they sent me for a sigmoidoscopy. I had a Ct with contrast at Xmas which showed extensive diverticular. I hope you feel well soon and can make it to the graduation as its something you wouldn't want to miss xx

• Posted

Bless your heart! I'm sorry to hear of this flare and infection, this stuff keeps me a nervous wreck I have had so MANY flares and the antibiotics cause me ALL kinds of scary side affects! Did I read your post right have you gone more than two years after your very first diagnoses of actual diverticulsis first flare? I mean is it possible to have a year or so without an attack? How did your Ct Scan this time turn out?

• Posted

Was the diarrhea caused by the scan due to the contrast you had to drink? I have that experience every time I've had the scan, but it always passes within a couple hours post-scan.

Interesting that you are convinced that nuts, seeds, and skins played a role in your recent flare. My (young, modern) doc keeps saying that those food items have nothing to do with diverticulitis -- that seeds, nuts, etc. as culprit is an old wives' tale. In fact, she claims that eating them will help prevent flares because of the fiber. Does your doc say this as well?

I am kinda new to the diverticulitis game -- have had 3 attacks in 2 years -- and am really interested in how to prevent future flares. The meds, as you say, are just awful -- maybe worse than the disease.

Sorry to hear of your experience. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I hope you start to feel better soon!!!

I had 7 days of antibiotics that ended Monday night and I am feeling so much better. On the road to recovery. I sincerely hope your meds kick in and you are on the road to recovery very very soon.

• Posted

What two antibiotics did you take the name of them and mgs? I'm am 100% horrible allergic to penicillin and everything in that family.

• Posted

Don't forget when you take antibiotics they kill all the bacteria in your gut - the bad ones causing the problem and also the good guys that you are relying on to digest your food properly (you don't digest your food, bacteria do it for you!).

Always take probiotics when you're on antibiotics. They won't interfere with your recovery but they will help you to stay on an even keel and not take so long to re-establish your healthy gut flora when you're done.

Capsules, live yoghurt - it doesn't matter so long as you take plenty.

• Posted

My pharamacy (drug store) told me to wait four hours after taking the antibiotic before I take the life probotics the ones you keep in fridge .

• Posted

Your pharmacy is right. There's no point taking probiotics at the same time as the antibiotic, and I apologise if I sounded like I was saying to actually take them together. I meant in the same period as some people think that the probiotic will undo all the work the antibiotic is doing so they wait until they've finished the course. (I'll remember to explain this better in future, thanks).

Some antibiotics (e.g. fluoroquinolones) can wipe out all of your gut flora for weeks and it can take months or even years to re-establish itself. Meanwhile, because all your good bugs have been cleared out, any wandering bad ones such as C.diff, H.pylori or yeasts like candida have a clear playground with no competition. Then people wonder why they are under attack from these bad guys straight after a course of antibiotics!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.