Here I go again

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been taking Amlodipine since March and apart from one blip when my GP reduced the dose I've been fine. That is until this week. Suddenly my feet and asnkles became very swollen and worse than that rock hard. So much so I had problems walking. They were so painful. So now I've stopped the Amlodipine as I've read so much on these forums about problems associated with it but continued with the Losartan 50mgms. I now will have to battle with the receptionist at the surgery as I won't want to wait 3 weeks for an appointment! They do not appear to understand how much of a problem it can be.

3 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello

From what I have heard side effects of Amlodipine can creep up on you after some time. I believe 3 to 6 months may start seeing some side effects creep in. Hope you manage to get an appointment to discuss this, and very best of luck smile

Gerard

• Posted

Thanks Gerard. Thought I would have had side effects effects shortly after starting on the Amlodipine but looks like I was wrong.
  • Posted

Insist on an emergency appointment or threaten to go to A&E

• Posted

Hello jenny. I may just do that. Thanks. I had a problem when I had a BP check this year. The healthcare assistant said I did not warrant an urgent appointment ( BP 178/115) so the receptionist gave me an appointment for 3 weeks later. I complained to the practice manager who said she was appauled at what I had told her. My argument was I was being told by an unqualified nurse who did not think to ask if I had any other symptoms. I was having migraines almost every day and I also have a heart murmur. Whilst I accept healthcare assistants do a good job she isn't trained to ask questions a qualified nurse would (I am a qualified nurse so I know what I'm talking about). So let battle commence on Monday. That's enough to cause anyone's BP to go up!
  • Posted

My wife become quite ill after taking this drug, so much so that I thought I may loose her. Eventually she stopped and thank God she almost immediately started to improve. The side effects have got better after three weeks and she has lost quite a bit of the weight she gained. The insomnia has got much better and last night she had eight hours sleep. Her BP is on the high side but is going the right way.

• Posted

Hello charlieshore. It is really concerning when you read the side effects caused by Amlodipine. It appears that the medical profession totally ignore them which makes me think the pharmaceutical companies have some sort of hold against them. Your poor wife was obviously very I'll and your post has made me think how I have felt over the last 4 months. I have also gained weight and felt dizzy. Some days I've just generally felt very unwell but unable to pin point exactly what is the problem. I have now made the decision to not take Amlodipine again. Enough is enough! Thank you Charlie and I hope your wife is recovering well.
  • Posted

Hello again Matron,

A book entitled "Big Pharma and Organised Crime" suggests that there is such huge profits in producing drugs that fines and claims of a few hundred millions are acceptable.

• Posted

Thank you Charlie shore. Will definitely get my hands on a copy.
  • Posted

Well it was good news today. I actually got an appointment this morning to see one of the GP's in the practice. I told him I had stopped the Amlodipine and he agreed that I should not take it any more. To continue on Losartan 50mgms daily but to increase to 100mgms if my systolic goes above 140. So fingers crossed I should start to feel like my old self very soon!
  • Posted

I have had the swollen ankles and feet just like you while on Amlodipine also terrrible pain in my knee making it difficult to walk, pain constantly even when sitting. Since reading this forum I stopped the tablets three days ago and already see an improvement.  No swollen ankles/feet and improvement in my knee pain.I have a home BP monitor and am keeping a check on my blood pressure, which at present is better than when I was on the tablets !!
    • Posted

You've made the right decision Wendy. It puzzles me all the time. We go to see the GP wanting to feel better and they prescribe something that makes us almost housebound! I know Amlodipine doesn't affect everyone in the same way but you just have to read the posts on this website to realise just how common it is. Fingers crossed our BP remains ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.