Here we go again!

Posted , 2 users are following.

My ex, (sufferer) who I was reconnecting with has slipped into another episode. He recently told me of his becoming ill with flu-like symptoms, so I was immediately concerned and offered help. He only allowed us to communicate by texting which was fine with me, but yesterday (Sunday) I decided to give him a little space and I didn’t reach out to him because I didn’t want him to feel overwhelmed. Later in the evening he decided to send me pictures of himself in the emergency room and explaining that his mother and others have disappointed him by not caring, so he’s decided to re-evaluate family and friends to consider leaving them behind and moving on to another state, changing careers, and disconnecting from those who he feels don’t support him. The sad part of this is, I supported him through thick and thin; he never had to ask me for support. However, I ended up being on the list of those he needed space from. The old me would have been devastated, but the newly-educated me has taken it with a grain of salt. I know I haven’t done anything wrong to him, but somehow he needs space from not only me, but several people. As I mentioned in the past, supporters go through challenges as well. Does any of this sound familiar to any of you, sufferers or supporters?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I've done this many times and only lost contact with good people because I couldn't bear the possibility of constantly dragging them down with my problems. Another reason was to break away from the person everyone knew me as,any bad impressions I've made , any shame for past behaviour.

The times that I have reconnected with people (after overcoming the guilt of running away) they usually say it's ok but I know it does affect them. I think you are dealing with this pretty well.

• Posted

Thank you so much KittyLuna; that was quite enlightening. The old me used to take all of this personally, but since then, I’ve learned to accept that it’s ptsd. He is usually a very kind-hearted and sweet person who gives and cares for people close to him. It was last year this time when I first noticed that things weren’t going in the right direction. While I was out shopping, he decided to move out and go to his ex’s home; talk about devastion! I was beyond words.  Although I love him and care about what happens to him, I’m growing somewhat weary and discouraged. I’m not saying I want to move on and not have him in my life, but it’s getting a little hard to continue to accept being abandoned for no reason at all. You have definitely shed light on why I should stay and continue to support. Thank you again!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.