Here we go again.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a T K R on my right knee last April.

Now i have pain in my left knee which was found to have arthritis during the examination of my right knee.

I have had the ex-ray results back and am due to see the same consultant / surgeon on April 05.

The memory of how painful the last one was and i will be awake while its done as although the Hospital is very good they don't give you a general.

Wish me luck and i will post the update.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well I had my consultation and the surgeon looked at my x ray results and saint my knee joint certainly has some bone to bone contact but at this stage it's marginal.

He suggested I go back in 6 months time for a review but if it gets worse before that time to call and he would bring it forward.

I guess he was being as helpful as possible.

• Posted

That sounds similar to the advice I was given 2 years before I went ahead with my first TKR in January this year. I spent most of last year debating with myself,when to go ahead. For the first 6 weeks I wasn't sure if I'd done the right thing, but at 11 weeks out things are going well. The surgeon offered to do the second one in May this year, but I'm hanging on a little longer. You'll know when the time is right for you. Good luck with your decision and I wish you a speedy recovery and successful outcome when you do go ahead.

• Posted

HI lynda

Yes its hard to get the timing right i took my first one too far and ended up in a wheelchair i said to the surgeon i don't want to go through that again.

at the moment i am able to walk short distances ok but need a stick for longer walks.

depending on what angle i put pressure on my knee i can feel bone on bone.

You are right the decision when to go ahead is not easy.

• Posted

It all comes down to quality of life in the end, doesn't it? I'd got to the point I was doing less of the things I enjoyed and decided I'd be no worse off if I couldn't do them after, but I'm optimistic that I will. When I attended my pre-op class there was a chap who could barely walk with the aid of 2 crutches and his advice was to go ahead before it got to that stage, because he wished he'd done it sooner, so I can understand where you're coming from.

• Posted

From the bottom of my heart, I wish you get well as soon as possible

• Posted

Thank you so much.

It's been just about a year since my last T K R which I must say I couldn't have wished for a better result certainly was worth all the pain.

They were very pleased at how I have done a little over 120 degree bend which they said was all down to the hard work I had put in.

My follow up for my other knee is October I hope to last out until the new year.

So looks like new year new knee.

This forum was such a great place to get advice and reassurance with my other T K R.

• Posted

Headed to my second knee LtKr in May. I know the drill and am looking forward to being out of pain Good luck

• Posted

Getting my left dine 5/23. I remember the pain 18 months ago from my right being done but even tho it was horribly painful, I'm glad i had it done. BLESSINGS

• Posted

Hi has my first done March 2018 and swore never again well 1 Yr on had my second done March 2019. Yes it hurts initially but boy is it worth it. Was prepared this time worked my quads till date of op didn't do anything first time round but this time was determined to be body ready. Sleeping all night down to 1 walking stick yes it's a bit painful but no pain no gain. Good luck to your second x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.