Here we go again

Posted , 7 users are following.

Long story short - had to up my dose to 20 mg for 2weeks from 15mg after being on 15 for several months. So, five days ago dropped to 18mg and was feeling good ( clearer head, more positive mood, more energy, etc ) until today.

Today, six days out, starting to have minor aches but very lightheaded, dizzy, palpitations, flu like feeling and very tired to the point of feeling like I'll faint if I don't lay down. The drop was 10% so was hopeful I could do it. Apparently not.

Will reluctantly go back up to 20mg tomorrow. Any thoughts as to whether this is withdrawal or flare up ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hiya, I am sure some one might have a definitive answer for you but from what you say I wonder if perhaps the 'more energy' tempted you into doing more than was wise ?  Perhaps see how you feel after a good night's rest and don't overdo it tomorrow.!  I am sure I recall Eileen saying you need to be careful for a few days when you start the next reduction.

• Posted

I started on 20mg and my 1st drop was to 17.5mg and it just about killed me. My rumi then only had me drop by 0.5mg using the dead slow and i had problems with the next drop but managed. My last 2 drops i increased to 1mg and now dropping from 13 to 12mg.

I know I'll be going back to 0.5mg drops soon. What I'm saying is not all of us can drop 10% so maybe try to go at a lesser rate and are you using the sl9w method.

You need to control your inflammation.

• Posted

Like Maid Marian, I can only tolerate .5 mg drops on the DSNS.  I started on 40 mg over three years ago and was able to handle the 10% drop until I reached about 16 or 17 mg (It's been a while so I can't remember exactly when). Even dropping at .5 I sometimes stay at a level for up to 2 months, depending on what I'm doing ( I travel a lot), the weather, and my general feeling of "PMR wellness".  I'm now dropping fromn 10.5 to 10 after 3+ years and two flares, the last of which was over a year ago.

• Posted

Hi Jean

I to need to stabalize for about 1 month before i drop again. The ladt time was close to 6 weeks thays why i may go back to the 0.5mg drop. Unless i feel ok i don't drop.

Nice to hear that someone else out there is slow like me. I also have to split my dose, how about you.

• Posted

No, I don't have to split the dose.  I did for a while when I was at higher levels to alleviate the 'fuzzy' head.

• Posted

I think you need to see your doctor. If you felt well immediately after the drop this isn't likely to be withdrawal - that is a response to the lower dose and happens quickly and then improves in a few days. It sounds more like a flare - but it could be coincidence and really due to something else. 

Have you got PMR or GCA? Either way, there is no really good reason for being at 15mg for months unless something else is going on. Last year I had a flare that took the form you describe - a whole new thing for me. We eventaully decided it was almost certainly large vessel vasculitis making me so breathless and dizzy - since a few weeks after that started I got the telltale signs of PMR and other causes had been ruled out.  

• Posted

No headaches, no jaw pain, no elevated sed rate, no weight loss. (have gained ), no fever. Other than typical PMR symptoms of muscular pain involving the prototypical areas and fatigue, I will occasionally experience blurred vision and breathlessness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.