Hernia

Posted , 4 users are following.

If you have a large hiatus hernia & Barretts would it be advisable to have it removed?

But should you have such a surgery if you're close to 70?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The Hiatus Hernia is probably responsible for the reflux which caused the Barrett's to form. (See attached graphic. )

If reflux is bothering you, a fundoplication would repair the hernia and tighten the sphincter but wouldn't remove the Barrett's. If there is a good reason for this, you could ask for it to be done on NHS but you may have to wait a year for it. (It's classed as elective surgery rather than emergency or essential. )

Radio Frequency Ablatin would remove the Barrett's but unless there are signs of dysplasia, it's not worth it. The chances of progression of non-dysplastic Barrett's are too small and with every possibility the Barrett's would recur, the medication and surveillance regimen would remain unchanged.

And your age shouldn't make a difference. I'm nearly 70 myself.

• Posted

Ya know, you are awesome! Thanks so much, have learned a tremendous amount from you. You have helped so much!

• Posted

Thank you.  You actually answered some of my questions and concerns.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.