Hernia Mesh pain & being fobbed off

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, you may remember me from a while back.. but if not, then briefly... I had hernia mesh plug (Proline) fitted to repair Inguinal hernia in May 2015. At the time of surgery, I ended up being kept in hospital for 3 nights as I was in so much pain, felt like my insides were being cut with a sharp blade and couldn't walk/bend to save my life. Anyway, after 2 weeks off work I went back and all seemed well even though it was still quite sore and I was walking quite gingerly, I eventually recovered but still felt a pulling sensation if I bent forward. Move forward to September 2017 - I started with dull stabby pain on the site where I'd had my surgery - I was sent for CT scan as they thought it was my ovaries?? Gynaecologist said I was fine & the pain was probably due to my previous surgery. So, back I go to my GP for further investigations who requests my hernia surgeon have me into his clinic, which I did. He referred me to have an MRI scan to check all was well. On the day of MRI I asked the nurses in charge if they knew what they were looking for on the scan... "No" they said, they'd been emailing my surgeon with no response, so I had to tell them what I was there for!! Anyway, roll on to my next meeting to discuss the MRI with surgeon (April 2018) and he said all looks OK and he's referring me to Pain Management. The pain is now excruciating and I cannot sit for more than 15 mins... the pain is from my operation site in my lower left groin, right through to the inside crease of my leg by my bottom & it's radiating across my stomach. It feels like a knife been stuck up my bottom & turned... :-(.This is as well as Osteoarthritis & Sciatic pain. I've got appt next Tuesday for my first Desensitisation Physiotherapy and if that doesn't work they want to give me steroid injections into my bottom as they're saying I've damaged Piriformis muscle in my bottom!! Not one of them are even looking at the possibility of it being this mesh causing all this pain -Im at my wits end. They only time I get slight relief is if I'm lying horizontal & flat... I've asked for my medical records in case I need to take this further, I can't stand this pain every day. Thoughts anyone? Anyone similar?? Sorry for long post. but had to talk... x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had 4 hernia repairs, the first one being in 1967, and the last one 1985, inguinal and femoral.all on the right side. I did not have a mesh.  After I recovered from my surgeries I did not have any more pain at all. In October 2015 I had a hernia surgery on my left side, the surgeon said he will put a mesh, ok? I didn't know, I thought it was supposed to be better. I still have pain where my hernia was.at time. I have a friend who had a mesh put in after a surgery ( not a hernia) and she has pain also, when I told her about my pain, she said that's the mesh. Her surgery was done by the same surgeon who did mine, so I thought it was the doctor. But thank goodness I don't have anything like you describe. I pray that they will do something to ease your pain. I wonder if we can have the mesh removed?? Good luck. CC N

• Posted

Thank you CC... It's horrible.. I can't relax at all unless I'm in bed.. these meshes have got a lot to answer for. I know the brand they used is on the 'bad' list - so hence them steering me away from anything to do with it. I'll see what the therapist says on Tuesday - thank you for your comment. Hope both you & your friend get some relief too.. x

• Posted

Oh my . You are the first person on this site that is going thru the exact same thing as I am . Everything is fine is the overall statement from everyone . I feel like the plug is moving . No one will touch me saying too much scar tissue . I knew something was wrong from the beginning . My pain was off the charts plus surgeon was knew to office and had to keep leaving to go to hospital across the street . After delay my surgery for hours he finally did it but in a hurry . He never told me he put in a mesh plug . Never told my friend or I when we came out . Mine was over 3 yrs ago . I am living in pain pills which take the pain away for a couple of hours if that . I just started working at a job that requires a lot of driving . The pain is excruciating because of the location . I don’t have the best insurance which makes me feel I’m not receiving the best care . I can’t feel a big lump where the pain is . I would love to talk to you if at all possible . Interested in where you live . I’m in California. I can give you my e mail if your interested in talking . Most of these post don’t pertain to me . But you said exactly what I’m going through . I know someone found an excellent surgeon but he’s in Florida of all places . I wish the best for you . 
    • Posted

Hi Lala, thank you for the response. Sorry to hear you're suffering also, its very depressing & debilitating isn't it? I too have a bad time when I'm driving, any sort of sitting position causes problems. It will be interesting to see what my therapist says on Tuesday, I'm hoping they recognise I need more than just some desensitisation - time will tell.. By all means, if you would like to email me, send me your address via private message. I live in the UK where we are lucky to have the NHS but it takes so long to be seen. Hope things get better for you... I literally do feel your pain..

• Posted

Than you . It is just helpfull to see that someone else is going this . Sorry about the fact that you are but sick of doctors saying everything is fine . When you know your body and know that it’s not fine they make you sound like your crazy . Good luck to you 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.