Hernia numbness

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey! I had open inguinal hernia surgery this week. And the whole surgery area of my groin is totally numb. How long does this normally take to resolve? Or is it not going to resolve? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The area around and just below the wound has never returned fully to feeling of touch etc. My operation was several years ago so any further improvement is very unlikely 
  • Posted

It's something the surgeons never tell you. I asked mine how long it would take when after op I was numb. He said sometimes it clears and sometimes it doesn't - really helpful. My op was 2 years ago. The numbness has gradually faded over many months but I still have some that I know will never clear.

• Posted

The thing I am scared about is. If the feeling doesnt return and I get another hernia, how would I know if it gets strangled or incarcerated since I have no feeling.
  • Posted

In addition to numbness around and below the incision I also have numbness on top of my left upper leg.  The hernia was on the right side.  Normal?
    • Posted

I am going through the same thing. I saw my surgeon today and he claims my sense of touch will come back within 4-6 weeks. How long ago did you have surgery? And are you totally numb to the touch? 
    • Posted

I am 5 days out from surgery.  I have follow up in two days.  Yes, total numbness to the touch.
    • Posted

Yea I had my surgery 6 days ago. We are going through the same exact thing. I does not seem like a common thing. Please let me know what they tell you are your follow up appointment. 
    • Posted

Rob,

I had my follow up with surgeon today.  The numbness on the opposite leg is not related to the surgery in his opinion.  Probably more to do with favoring one side over the other or sitting for a prolonged time in a recliner.  Says it may stay that way but I probably should regain feel once I can stretch and do normal exercises.

Last night was the first full night I could sleep in bed.  It made a big difference.  Mistake I made was being too cautious with the meds.  Should have maxed out the first two days.  That has put me behind in the recovery schedule.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.