Herniated Discs and back packs/hikes

Posted , 3 users are following.

In December of last year whilst abroad i experienced a soaring pain in my lower back resulting in loosing feelings in my legs and collapsing. When i arrived back home i took an MRI which confirmed that I have a herniated disc protruding from both sides between my L4 and L5.

I have done physical therapy and i am also currently doing certain exercises under the supervision of a personal trainer. I feel much better but when i tend to stay straight for long periods of time by lower back tends to tighten up and feel very sore. My question is that in July i am attending the Rockwerchter concert in Brussles. Needles to say i will have a back pack and stay long periods of time standing up, sleeping in a tent on a sleeping mattress. I was wondering if there are any tips which some of you may share with me as to whether i should carry a back pack and if i should wear a particular types of shoes in order to facilitate the load on my back.

Thx for your comments

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jonathan I had the same partial herniation L4-L5 two years ago one month ago I had a microdiscectomy whereby the surgeon removed the protruding disc to releave the compression on my nerve. My advice to you would be not to carry anything heavy or to be lifting heavy items as this will not help an already herniated disc. I too found standing still was the worst pain so try rocking (or moving along to the music) you could also find out what facilities and assistance is offered for disabled people and explain your situation to the event organisers. Also worth telling your GP you are going and may need to take some pain killers with you not sure about taking them into another country? But if you also take a copy of your prescription with you that would be validation. My physio had been recommending core muscle exercises as that helps with back problems. You sound very positive and determined to improve your health and continue with your plans and have my respect! Hope you have a great time!
    • Posted

Hi Amaz, thanks for your reply and your positive comments. My goal is to avoid surgery but if there is no other way i will have to do it. Dispite the hernitiation i try not to discourage myself, but i sometimes feel a bit incapitated as i cannot do the things i used to, even simply going to play a football game. Hopefully the pretruding dics will disepate and i can function normally. How do you feel after the surgery ? and i hope that everything went ok for you. Thx
    • Posted

Hi Jonathan yes most cases sort themselves out and don't require surgery! So fingers crossed they left mine for two years but it didn't get better and went into spasm again hence the surgery. I feel ok thanks obviously sore but feeling hopeful u can get back to normal. Physio and exercise are key to getting better and the core muscle thing is the way to go as they act as the bodies natural support around your back. You will be able to get back to your sports in time you just need to be cautious you don't overdo things before it has a chance to settle down. Listen to what your body is saying and work within the pain. Take caresmile
  • Posted

Hi Jonathan

I have had a cauda equine lesion and also a further 3 slipped discs.  Without going into too much detail I would advise the same as Amaz which is not to carry anything heavy for long periods, even lifting anything heavy worsens the pain.  Also please please keep an eye on your bowel movements and notice if there are any changes when urinating as this is very very important.  if ever there is any difference withe these and you are still suffering a great deal and your legs are weak, then please consult your doctor. When I suffered with slipped discs I always found the pain relieves a little if you either stand on your head, with a cushion under or hang over your bed so that the top end of your body is hanging over and even lean your head on a pillow as this stretches the back and often takes the pressure off your back, it a little like traction but worked for me except when I fainted due to the pain of my slipped disc prior to 1992. When you are not in pain always be aware that if you do lift anything heavy can cause you problems.   If you were in Doncaster I would advise you see the Bone Manipulator as he is brilliant.  I only came accross him 3 years ago and after 1 session he relieved the pain from my groin area which was due to a trapped nerve.   I used to be frightended of doing hobbies due to fear of having another slipped disc but now I try to do more excercise which always helps.  Best Regards

• Posted

Hi Krizia, first of all thankyou for your reply and i hope that you will finally find relief from your pain. I understand the fact that i acnnot lift heavy objectes for lonfg periods of time and i an assure you that this wont be the case, but since the event is a camping concert a back pack is a must. What i intend to do is not to load the bag with heavy objectes and seek some help from my friends but your input is definetly helpful and encouraging. Thx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.