Herniated discs T8/9 and T11/12 with myelopathy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been in chronic pain for nearly 2 years and finally mri shows disc herniation and compression of the spinal cord at T8/9 and degeneration and herniation at T11/T12. Has anyone had experience of thoracic spine herniations? From what I can gather they are fairly rare

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Have you had luck?

I have the same issue T10-11 and I am so stressed in trying to find a surgeon who is reputable in the UK.

Has anyone got any recommendations on who to contact.

• Posted

Hi Drinxs  - At last somebody else with thoracic disc problems (I mean that in the nicest waylol). Do you have any refered pain? I get so many strange nasty pains - spasms down left side of ribcage, painful sternum, horrible burning aching pain that wraps round the left side of chest and shoulder, frozen left shoulder, numb left thigh & the list goes on and on. I've had sooo much physio etc with no visble improvement & loads of appointments with various consultants. Now waiting for more mri's, pain management clinic, and a referal to see a neurologist. Are you in the UK Drinxs? If so I recommend that you ask to see a rehumatologist  and a neurologist (sorry for the spelling). In the mean time have you tried Naproxen or Codiene? I find that a combination of the two helps with my pain.

Please let me know how things golol

• Posted

Karen,

tried twice to send you details and its not submitting.

Trying again- had symptoms for 10 months+. First shaky legs, then numb feet plus now burning thighs 24/7.

Mri in Jan. showed bulging disc in T10-11 compressing spinal cord.

Ct scan 3 weeks ago showed area heavily calcified.

Have offered operation by Neurousurgeon. Lots to update on my search for one who has experience- seeking also private consultation. i am happy to share details, I just feel so alone trying to get best route forward.

one word of advice seek neurologist appt. ASAP because the longer symptoms are left more risk of permenant damage.

I have just moved back from England to Ireland but seeking advice in England also. Walton Centre Liverpool is supposed to be centre of excellence and I have done loads of research in other centres and reviews of surgeons- which I will happily share. What part of UK are you in.

Keep in contact

• Posted

Not sure if this reply will get seen as a old thread but I have exactly the same Thoracic problem, I ruptured my T10/T11 disc nearly 20 years ago, with a piece of disc material sequestrating into the spinal canal and impinging on the cord.  20 years of painkillers, physio, acupuncture, hydrotherapy, altered bowel and urinary function my mri scan shows the disc still bulging as badly as when it first happened.  Would be interested in discussing this further with either of you if you see t
  • Posted

Not sure if this reply will get seen as a old thread but I have exactly the same Thoracic problem, I ruptured my T10/T11 disc nearly 20 years ago, with a piece of disc material sequestrating into the spinal canal and impinging on the cord.  20 years of painkillers, physio, acupuncture, hydrotherapy, altered bowel and urinary function my mri scan shows the disc still bulging as badly as when it first happened.  Would be interested in discussing this further with either of you if you see this
  • Posted

Hi Karen

I had my operation two years past in June ad while i have some nerve sensation still my mobility is first class and exercising more than before the operation. Mine has been a great success.

Are you awaiting surgery, what is your status?

• Posted

Hi Drinxs

Kim here, a newbie. Wasnt sure if either you or karen would see my post as its a 3yr old thread but glad you did.

I had an MRI earlier thus year showing the disc still bulging as badly as it was 20 yrs ago, still symptomatic but not offered any surgery, cant even get a referral to a spinal surgeon. Told 20 years ago too dangetous to operate, would only intervene if I become paralysed !

Im very glad to hear you have had a succesful outcome however, great news. Who was your surgeon ?

• Posted

It maybe a good idea to get a 2nd option (your legal right on NHS- it is what I did).

My Surgeon was Mr Martin Wilby Waton Centre Liverpool (Centre of Excellence)- this is way outside my NHS trust area. Best Decision I could have made.

What area of UK do you Live?

• Posted

I live in Southampton, we do have an excellent Spinal surgeon at Southampton, Evan Davies, trying to get a consultation with him however takes months, if not years. Going back to my GP next week to request a referral to Southampton General Hospital, I will start from there and seek a second opinion if needed.  I am pleased you are doing so well, I hope I can have the same outcome 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.