Herpes 1

Posted , 2 users are following.

what if you have type 1 and no cold sores can u still kiss your partner ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Depends where your Type 1 is and whether you have noticeable symptoms at the time.
    • Posted

She never told me where she said I was exposed to type 1 & type 2 & that I have both . But I don't have any cold sores
    • Posted

Without symptoms and a confirmatory swab, it's hard to say, but one can assume that's it's probably oral, just asymptomatic to date. Not everyone with oral HSV-1 gets cold sores. Just remain vigilant and if you notice tingling or a bump, be careful what you do. If a partner already has oral Type 1, then there's no problem, but as a best practice, still refrain from giving oral sex if you suspect an oral outbreak.
    • Posted

Shedding can still occur without symptoms, but you can't be driven by paranoia when there is no way to know where exactly it is, so the best thing is to remain vigilant. Maybe find out if your partner has had cold sores before. If you are taking antivirals for genital hsv2, the meds will help with hsv1, regardless of where it is.
    • Posted

What does it mean by the shedding ? I'm so confused by that and I take acyclovir twice a day . So how will they be able to find out exactly where the type 1 is ?
    • Posted

Hsv (both types) usually lies dormant, but every now and then, at random, it will reactivate and travel to the surface and shed. Viral shedding can occur with symptoms (outbreak) or none at all, but it is still contagious either way (worse with symptoms, though). Your meds will work for both types, so don't worry. You can't tell where it is until you have symptoms and confirm by swab, but hsv1 is usually oral.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.