Herpes...extremely painful swollen labia?

Posted , 18 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with herpes....not had test results back, but my nurse was pretty confident. All the symptoms point to herpes, my genitals are covered in painful sores, it's been hell to wee, I had flu like symptoms and abdominal pain, as well as an itching and burning sensation....sounds like herpes right?

I just started taking Aciclovir today, as well as ibuprofen for the pain but my biggest issue is how swollen my labia minora is! 

It's so so so painful to walk and sleep and urinate, I can't sit or lie comfortably, it's red and swollen and feels so tight I'm genuinely scared it could burst, my nurse was surprised as how swollen I was.

Has anyone else had labia swelling with their herpes? If so, how badly? How long did it last and how did you cope with it?

This is my first OB and yes it has been horrific. What makes it even worse is that it coincides with my period....nightmare! Thanks in advance to anyone who can help smile 

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was just diagnosed with herpes -- I thought I was suffering a bad yeast infection and UTI, but turns out it was this.  I'm looking for any kind of advise or comfort I can at this point.  As I am sure you were in the beginning, I am still in shock and not handling this very well.  I noticed that you initiated this chat about 8 months ago, so you've been living with this new nuisance for a while.  I've been told that the first OB is the worst and it gets better from there.  Based on your experience do you think that is true?  How many OB's have you had since your initial one? My doctor told me that it's possible never to have another one, or on average some people have about 4 per year.  I know everyone's body reacts differently to this, but I think hearing directly from more people that actually have it would help me understand.  Did you end up getting on acyclovir on a daily basis as a preventive measure?  Do you think that helped? My first OB is lasting quite a while because I did have swollen lymph nodes.  Luckily I didn't have any visible sores in the vaginal area, but I almost wonder if I have some internally because I bleed at weird times.  I appreciate any and all feedback!
  • Posted

I was just diagnosed with an initial outbreak. I'm 43 yrs old. It's terrible.

My labia and clit hood are so extremely swollen. They are also a bit rigid and hard. I'm praying they go back to like they were. I can't walk very well because of it. And it hurts so very bad. I have acyclovir cream and lidocaine. It helps a tiny bit. But peeing is like I have a very angry fire breathing dragon living down there.

Swollen labia is the worst part.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with herpes 3wks ago and Im 40ys old and I am still trying to cope with this but I do remember having my libia swollan when i was maybe abt 25 or 30 but I was so naive cuz I had only been with my ex husband since I was16yrs old could I have been infected then and just told i have it cuz i asked for a full std blood work and exam.. How can I cope with this and still have a normal life??
    • Posted

Wow. So you've had it all this time and didn't know it? In a way that's good becuase you're not having to deal with it. Apparently also you never passed it along to anyone.

I am having trouble dealing with the fact that I lived for 43 and managed to stay clean. Granted, I was married for 14 yrs so I guess that's what saved me. I got mine from a guy who was a FWB situation - and we've been together for over a year. I thought he was protecting me (and protecting himself) but he had a drunk ONS and got it and passed it to me. The only thing I can do is say "C'est la vie". I can't take it back or get rid of this. But the mental stress sucks. Coulda/shoulda/woulda -- thats where I live sad

My 1st ob was bad. I had flu like symptoms, swollen labia, swollen lymph nodes in my neck. I missed a week of work and performed poorly the following. I think it was a mild reaction to medicine (Valtrex) but I have to take it. I am now 22 days past the first symptoms and I still have itching like crazy. And crazy nerve tingling in random places in my whole area down there. The swelling lasted for a good 10-13 days. It still feels "hot" down there. Used to I never even knew my vagina existed!!

So am anxious to see how this all plays out. I am afraid about dating. I feel like the only person I want to have sex with is the guy who gave it to me. Weird, I know, but I know in my head that I can't pass it to him cuz he's already got it.

• Posted

Well I don't know if I've had it all this time cuz I had never asked for a herpes test. The last time i got a herpes test was in 2004 and it was neg. but still stayed with my ex husband till 2010. I hope I haven't giving it to the guy I had been seeing for 2years.. I started see this guy and we were going on 5months and we wanted to be intimate and he wanted me to have an std test and i was already thinking of having one just for me too and once I told him abt my results he stopped talking to me and it hurts cuz he would tell me how much he loves and misses me and then just to stop talking to me cuz I was honest abt my results 2weeks ago .

• Posted

That totally blows. I'm sorry sad it sucks that you were honest, doing the right thing, and he bails. But a lot of people just can't handle things like this and don't want to take the time to understand that precautions can be taken and most likely he would never get it. This is easy for me to say (and people say it to me all the time) but maybe you dodged a bullet. If he bailed on this - what's his character? When going got tough - he left.

Again I'm sorry for this. And this exact situation is what I fear.

• Posted

True.. I told him cuz he suffers from psoriasis and didn't want him going thru something else and cuz I really care abt him and it was the right thing to do. I could of easily not told him and just used protection but I'm not like that. I told my friend that introduced me to him abt it and she said he was being petty and that if he bailed on me for something I had no control off what can i expect when things get harder. I also told my ex bf of 2yrs to go get checked cuz I have herpes and at first he was line ub have me herpes and i was like no cuz I don't know when I got it and u could of giving it to me.. I asked him if he would come out neg would he stop talking to me and he was like No cuz i still love you and I want to be their for u. I didn't expect him to say that since he is 34 or 36.. I expected more from the other guy cuz he was more mature and was gonna be 40yrs old next month. But like the saying goes we live and we learn..

• Posted

I was diagnosed in may 2016 after two negative HSV tests. But I knew sometihing wasn't right with my body. The doctor said "it looks like herpes" and she kept calling them "red haloes" (that visual us stuck with me ever since) my outbreak came during my period two months in a row - so I was put on the generic version of valtrex. I take it daily. It's been about three months that I've taken it daily and decided to stop taking it for about a week (because I'm young and dumb) and my current outbreak is as bad as my initial outbreak! Flu symptoms, leg pain, all I want to do is sleep. I have over 15 "red haloes" on one side of my inner labia - incant eben spread the other side to count because of hurts so bad. I've beeen using tea tree oil - I'll put it on cotton squares overnight but what I haven't heard from anyone else is that if left on too long can burn the rest of your skin! So I'm dealing with many sores and pealing skin where I'm not infected. When I pee, I spread my legs really wide and sit straight up - that's the only way it won't burn I'm on day 4 and it's slowly getting better with ice packs and sticking to my prescribed medication.

• Posted

How long did it last? I’m going through the exact same thing right this second! The pain is unbearable !!!
    • Posted

I’m going through it too , sooo painful!! I dread urinating because of the pain😩

• Posted

Hi there, I realise this post is from years ago but I have just gotten my fist OB and am experiencing the exact same symptoms. My labia and whole vaginal opening is so swollen to the point where nothing I do is even remotely comfortable. The pain has gotten to the point where I cant bare it anymore but I stumbled upon this post and I would so greatly appreciate any help you can give me in relation to what you did to easy the pain and possibly reduce the swelling and how long it lasted for so I can somewhat prepare myself for what I'm in for.

• Posted

i jjst stumbled upon this post and was wondering the same. i started sunday the 1st with flu like symptoms, got told i had the flu then said strep (even though all tests were negative) then woke friday with sores inside vagina. the OBGYN is treating me for herpes now. the first two days i couldnt pee wothout balling my eyes out. i started taking l-lysine multiple tomes a day and ive gotten a LITTLE better and i mean only a little. i cant find a lidocaine cream that doesnt burn. i just bought tea tree oil but read it has to be diluted and dont kmow how to do that so i avoid a burn. i have a friends bachelorette party coming up and cant stop crying over how much pain ill be in the whole trip. today i am so swollen and my OBGYN said i have to ride it out. any advice would be amazing

• Posted

hey, did youre swelling go down eventually? ive just had my first outbreak and mine feels like a balloon too. all sores healed but labia still swollen a week later..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.