Herpes in relationship

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. After some advice. I've been with my partner for 4/5 months now. On sunday she woke up in the morning crying and unable to pass urine. We managed to get an emergency appointment at the hospital, and the lady said she was very certain it was herpes. We both then went to the sexual health clinic to get checked yesterday (Monday). The lady there also said she was certain it was herpes. Now before getting together, she had 3 other sexual partners. Before meeting me she hadn't had sex for 8 months. I've had many more sexual partners than her and 2 weeks before meeting her I had unprotected sex with 2 girls I was on holiday with. We've been together for 4/5 months, and she has now had a flare up but I've had no symptoms at all. Have I passed it on to her despite not showing any kind of sores/pain? Or is there no way to tell? Is the length of time its taken for a flare up to happen normal (As we've been dating for 4/5 months)

Any advice would be great. Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Did any of the doctors take a swab test to see if its actually herpes? If its not too late she should get them swabbed. Herpes can take years to ever show, its a weird virus. U might or night not have it but since u have no visible symptoms u will have to rely on a type specific igg test. keep us posted please and good luck
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply.. yes they took swabs and we are awaiting the results. I'm just really worried about her because she's in a lot of pain and she has quite a stressful job and I'm worried the stress will make her have more flare ups over the coming years...

• Posted

its never easy to deal with bad news. especially something like this. keep us posted brotherĀ 
  • Posted

Finally we have some answers. Turns out she has type 1 herpes. We had oral sex on the Friday and Saturday/Sunday was when the break out happened. And ever since really I've had this cold sore on my lip, it's not been particulary bad or painful but it's just not gone. What's the best remedies for this?

• Posted

So the test from the swab came up as type 1? If u have a cold sore on your lip, it will usually clear up within 2 weeks. If its been longer, its probably not a cold sore. You can buy abreeva which is a topical cream. That shaves off a few days, but at this point id just let it clear on its own.
    • Posted

Yes the swab came back as type 1. To be honest I wouldn't say this was even a cold sore, it's on the left side of my mouth and its more of a split, probably made worse from the cold weather. Rather painful when stretching mouth open and eating

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.