Herpes or something else?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last May I started getting recurrent thrush then in September I came down with the flu and a cold and noticed under the skin lumps either side of the opening of my vagina that were not really painful just uncomfortable, the next day I went to visit my GP. At first look my GP told me I had cysts (which I had looked up and looked a lot more like my symptoms than herpes) but then when she heard I had flu symptoms suggested it may be herpes but said it didnt look like it and was strange as the last time I had sex was a month before that but she referred me to a sexual health place anyways. A few days later at my appointment the lumpswere almost gone after me using hot water and salt on them but they swabbed anyways and the test came back negative for herpes but the nurse gave me antiviral tablets to keep in case of another 'outbreak'. The thrush symptoms continued no matter what I tried, I had itching almost all the time but then I started getting painful down there on the left side in January like a stinging sensation almost as if the skin is cracked and an aching sensation just inside my inner labia after being touched but when i checked with a mirror I could not see anything. The pain has been almost every day since January except maybe one or two days that I didn't notice it as much. I have been to a different doctor and back to the sexual health place but neither of them could see anything but gave me a full screening even though I haven't had sex since last year. Everything came back negative though but I am not sure that they tested for herpes even though they knew about my previous 'outbreak'. I have been looking up so much since the first 'outbreak' and I am starting to wonder if the itching and stinging is all in my head as the doctors and I can't see anything. If anyone has any opinions on if this is herpes or something else please let me know.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like a combination of things - obviously thrush which you've already identified which could encompass the stinging and cracking skin, did you try Cane sten cream & pessary?

The lumps you found could be swollen Bartholin glands - and i only suspect this because i had 3 lumps appear all on one side - doctor prescribed antibiotics (very reluctantly) and they went after about 2 weeks of warm epsom salts baths.

Hope this helps x

• Posted

I forgot to mention that I have been swabbed twice for thrush and both times it came back negative which is worrying me more. 

Yes thats what I thought but I had them on both sides and they only lasted a few days. It was the cold and flu symptoms along with this and the constant problems down there since May that are making me think it is herpes. Thank you for the help x

• Posted

I have had the same symptoms now for about a year and a half. I however have no lumps under the skin or anything, but I did have a biopsy done that showed irritated skin. Maybe if you dont get any results that is an option for you
  • Posted

Could it be vulvular vestibular syndrome. Which following prolapse surgery my doctors think I have. Symptoms are sensitive skin around the vulva (for me especially the entrance to vagina) burning sensation, redness, inflamed skin around the area. I did have small ulcerated area but gone now. No itching though. Negative to thrush etc. Blood tests okay. Waiting to be referred to a Vulva Dermatologist to hopefully get some answers.
    • Posted

I will look it up, thanks for the suggestion! I hope you find the answers I know how frustrating it can be! 
  • Posted

The clinic recently did blood tests for HSV1 and HSV2 and they came back negative though there is still a little part of me that worries that it could be herpes, but all symptoms have been gone the past couple of weeks and have just come back in the last two days. I also got another under the skin lump last week after having sex and every time I looked it up cysts came up so I'm hoping thats what it was and not something else. I am tired of going to doctor/hosital appointments every week I just want an answer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.