Herpes Test Accuracy and Symtoms

Posted , 2 users are following.

HI ,

Did a 25 week immuno assay combined qualititative test and it was negative. My sysmtoms as below.

1. Initial Urine pain for 3 months 

2. Randone red spots on both arms and both legs.

How can i come toa conclusion on my herpes status ? Am i negative ? 

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

• Posted

I had received unprotected oral and protected intercourse from a Herpese positive lady. her result was 5.8 and not a type specific. 
  • Posted

Sorry this should be 15 week test. Not 25
  • Posted

Was that the IgG test for herpes? In any case, your symptoms are not indicative of genital herpes. Arms and legs wouldn't be involved, but you would expect genital skin involvement and you had none, plus your urinary issues lasted too long (those who get that issue with a first outbreak usually have it for a week, maybe two at most).

• Posted

Yes it was IGG test. I test combined test at 4,6,8,12 and 15. All negative.

How accurate is combined IGG testing ? I got random spots on both arms and legs and thighs. Penis pain is gone for last 4 days . But still some random burning feeling on thigh and groin. I heard that herpes can show on arms and legs also

Can I move on from herpes ?

• Posted

I'm worried because hsv1 can be missed in commercial tests ..

What is ur idea about combined IGG testing ? Worth trusting this test ?

• Posted

Combined IgG should be as accurate as type-specific IgG, just useless when it turns up positive, because you don't know which type you have. That's not the case with you, as you tested negative each time, including after 3 months. Again, arms and legs are not typical sites for *genital* herpes. Your genitals are, but you have had zero skin issues. The urination discomfort could be due to any number of things, not necessarily herpes, which you do not appear to have.

• Posted

Since I tested negative in 15 weeks , do I recommend me to get another test again in future ?
    • Posted

No need, unless you have a *subsequent* high risk encounter and fear herpes exposure or develop genital symptoms. 12+ weeks is considered adequate for HSV IgG testing.
    • Posted

Thansk FelisCatus ! I hope my red spots are irrelevant of herpes . Thansk for the quick response.

Have u come across any case here in the forum where people eat red spots on skin on arm/legs ?

• Posted

A handful, but I am sceptical. Most who have thought these to be symptoms of genital herpes were simply paranoid with no proof, grasping at any symptom wherever located to convince themselves they are infected. A couple claimed to have had positive swabs from lesions located in other places, but who really knows, and it was literally just one or two people.

All I can say is that it is very uncommon to have widespread lesions beyond the boxer shorts region (and nothing in the genital area!), plus you tested negative for IgG within the appropriate timeframe. If you are really freaked out, find a clinic that is willing to do an HSV swab of your arm/leg bumps, but I personally wouldn't bother.

• Posted

Go it. I'm occasionally getting burning sensation on thigh and groin . Is it a bad sign also ? Specially when I'm at work and sitting ? Anxiety ?

• Posted

Could well be anxiety, I don't know, just don't lose sight of the fact that you tested negative and have not had any genital outbreak!

• Posted

Only thing I had in my genitals was the urine pain lasted 3 months. And folliculitis like rash on my thigh after 3 weeks exposure . No blisters or sores on penis.
    • Posted

So there's no reason to suspect herpes. Loads of other things can cause urinary discomfort and folliculitis is more common than herpes. First outbreaks of herpes usually occur within the first week, maybe two, last for three weeks on average, and occur at the site of entry, so nearly always the genitals, and for a guy, that means the penis. None of what you have described matches up, including your test results, so you should take comfort in that!

• Posted

Hi felis, is there relationship with antibody development with sysmptoms ?

Example if u have symptoms body develop antibodies ? Or if u don't have sysmptoms ? Frankly I'm worried about 2 things .

1. I might be a person who don't show up +in blood test.

2. Test might miss hsv1 ?

My previous tests were ELISA EUROIMMUN IGG. Last one was immuno assay qualititative . I feel that these tests are not good enough sad

• Posted

You are becoming one of those paranoid persons I described earlier! The EuroImmun test is supposed to be much better than HerpeSelect, as it doesn't have the crossreaction issue. If you want the best test available, order the western blot from the University of Washington, but it will cost you a pretty penny...

Even if you insist you are one of the few who doesn't show up on tests, you have had no symptoms to suggest herpes. Zero genital symptoms except prolonged urinary discomfort, which is much longer than you'd expect for herpes (so not likely) and could be due to any number of other causes. I suggest you believe your results on this occasion and try to put this behind you!

• Posted

I understand felis. I have no option for WB as I am not in US.

Thansk u very much for ur support and quick response . Anyways I am planning to take a type specific test next week as everyone is talking about that. What are my chances of being negative in combined test and positive later in type specific test ?

Last test I took was immuno assay qualititative ? Can I trust this after 15 weeks ?

That will be all from me. Thanks

• Posted

Type-specific tests are better, as it's good to know your type. If you are negative for both, however, it should make no difference. Only relevant when positive. If you want to retest, that is up to you. See if they can do the EuroImmun type-specific (or combined) IgG test. That is a good one. I am less familiar with the other test, but if it's IgG like you say, it should be fine, too. All of the IgG tastes for herpes have the same test window (3+ months).

• Posted

Thansk felis. I will follow up with my provider to get these test . But I did the EUROIMMUN IGG COMBINED test at exactly 12 weeks . So I can be bit confident about that . Yes ?

• Posted

Just one more question felis ! Before when I had the penis pain which lasted almost 3 months, I had a small red patch inside my urethra. But now it's faded away. Can that small patch relevant to herpes ?

• Posted

Herpes usually forms sore bumps/ulcers, not patches, and if the patch never changed appearance and/or lasted for months (plus your negative results, don't forget), then it's nothing or something else.

• Posted

Thansk felis ! I am really becoming a paranoid person as u told me exactly . I don't know what to do at this moment . Anyways thank u again for ur continuous support .

• Posted

You're welcome! It is hard not to be paranoid in these types of situation. I've been there myself. But you need to force yourself to see the facts and look at the odds, the big picture, etc., so that your paranoia only becomes a healthy concern, not an obsession. With negative results on top, you need to learn to just let it go. Some last words of wisdom, lol.

• Posted

Hi felis ! Today I draw my blood for EUROIMMUN combo test 16 weeks. . Results will be available in 4 days . I will keep u updated then . Thanks
    • Posted

Hi felis! Got the 15 week result . It's it's negative with 5 RU/ml - EUROIMMON:COMBINED . I will try to put this behind me now even though some worry about missing hsv1

• Posted

It's actually 16 week result .

• Posted

I knew it would be negative and I'm happy for you! Yes, do put this behind you. Without symptoms, all you can point to are your results, and your results are negative, hurrah! I'd go out and celebrate!

• Posted

Hi felis ! I'm bit releaved at this moment .i really appreciate the support and the support given to others. But still my fingers are crossed and looking out for any sysmtoms because I know hsv1 can be missed in the IGG test.

• Posted

Felis !! I promise this will be my last post .

Have u seen any case where combined IGG test is negative and the type specific IGG is negative ? I have read the opposit . .

But terry has seen 30% miss in IGG for hsv1

• Posted

ave u seen any case where combined IGG test is negative and the type specific IGG is positive ? I have read the opposit . .
    • Posted

That is not something I have looked into, so I am not aware of that. But in theory that shouldn't happen. The combined test looks for the same things, so if it's negative, the type-specific tests should also be negative. If positive, then one or both of the type-specific tests should be positive, depending on what you have. Yes, the HSV1 test can miss some cases, but that would apply to both the combined and HSV1 type-specific tests. Also, that issue seems more likely with HerpeSelect. I have not heard the same for EuroImmun.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.