Herpes test results HELP!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ive tried to get answers but havent got much luck.

does anyone know the chances of a false negative on HSV2 testing ? I got tested and my results were negative but i took the test a month after I noticed a sore .

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

yes. blood tests should be igg and not igm & taken 16 weeks post exposure to be accurate but sometimes it can take up to 6 months for antibodies to be detected

swab tests should be done within 48 hours and/or before the sores heal.

bottom line is if blood test is done early and swab tests is done too late then that can cause false negative results.

hope this helps and good luck!

• Posted

so if the igg test was done 1 year after exposure, how accurate are the results? if they didn't detect any antibodies for hsv1/hsv2 does that mean you 100 percent don't have it?

• Posted

i got the igm and igg . but no swab does that mean i have herpes ? im really scared

• Posted

if you have the sore then definitely get it swab ASAP. Go back at 12-16 weeks for another blood test if swab is negative

did your doctor exam your sore?

• Posted

i dont have it anymore but when i did she said it didnt look like herpes so she just gave me a blood test since i was worried

• Posted

based on what my doctor told me its possible to get a false negative on a blood test. extremely unlikely to have a false negative if a swab /culture was done

• Posted

what are the chances of a false negative with blood though? Does that mean i have herpes ?

• Posted

the blood work can but im not saying it did. the swab is best

• Posted

according to literature and studies: 15-30% of tests on people proven to have hsv by culture tests still test negative also after 4 months.

blood tests are just never as accurate as culture tests performed within 2 days after the sores

• Posted

safe to say that all std testing, including herpes, should be conclusive at 6 months post exposure via blood test? I haven't seen a case where it goes beyond 6 months before test results shows positive if they contradicted any std

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.