Herx or Doxycycline Reaction?

Posted , 15 users are following.

My wife has been suffering from chronic lyme and bartonella for a while now, and is has progressively been getting worse.

She had been put, once again, on doxycyline -- 100 mg in the AM and another 100 mg in the PM.  After a week of this, she started developing severe leg pains in both legs.  Muscle and tendon pains, not joint pain.  She can hardly walk. Her neck and back are also bothering her a lot.

She stopped taking the meds and feels better but not great.

The doctor she is seeing is not being much help in diagnosing the cause of this pain.  We're more or less on our own.

Our research has taken us to the "herx" reaction of the bartonella to the antibiotics, OR a reaction to the doxycycline itself.

Obviously, if it's a reaction to the doxy then she'll need to stop taking it.

But if it's herx, then she'll have to grin and bear it.

How in the world are we to know which it is?

Ideas?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was recently diagnosed with Lyme. Blood work had it come up as acute. I also have autoimmune disease and hashimotos thyroid fyi. I did 30 days of 200 mg of doxy.  Almost right away I felt off felt tired, swollen, bloated , in pain.  Smilar  symptoms when I eat poorly (I try to follow an anti inflammatory diet and when I stick with it, I feel good) but I hadn’t changed anything to my diet except adding the doxy. I kept going bc I knew it could be herx.  I had some nights of excoriating neck pain, increased flares or the RA I have on left side (which also can be controlled with good diet).  I also had eye pressure and vision challenges as well as headache coming and going. Also pain in left foot heel.   And knees. I went to about 27 days of doxy and stopped when I woke up w blurry vision.   It’s been about 3 weeks off it.  Still haven’t felt great. I have pain in left and right arms and legs (I’ve never had issues in right side), soles of both feet (never had any foot pain until doxy), neck pain, knee pain, and vision seems permanently  off- basically it feel that I may suddenly need glasses.   Dr then prescribed me 90 days of augmentin based on my symptoms but wouldn’t retest for antibodies.  I’m terrified to mess around and take abx for 90 days. Also terrified not to and potentially let the Lyme turn chronic. Feel damned if I do or don’t. Truly just don’t know what my next step should be.  Any insight would he appreciated.  And if doxy got it, when would antibodies be gone? I feel like I want some scientific evidence before I go another round of abx. 

• Posted

hello,

for the lyme, did you try Disulfiram or MMS/CDS?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.