Hey

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey,

For the longest time I've been feeling really fatigued and after constantly going back to my doctor she finally sent me for blood tests and the nurse phoned me and told me that my B12 level is "quite" low.

So the doctor put me on 28 tablets of cyanocobalamin (1mg) but I don't seem to notice any difference even though the phramcist said I should notice after a week of taking them.

The reason I am making this post mainly is because if I eat food such as cheese from dairy, or chicken from meat while being idle like watching television I notice this sudden build up energy it's like my fatigue lessens but doesn't go away completely, but when I do an activity like having a shower or walking to the local shop (30 min trip) and sit down to rest I suddenly become breathless and really fatigued again while sweating. 

Does anyone know why this is it what is causing me to gain and lose energy so quickly with food groups high in B12?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi john do your know your level of b12, most folk find the tablets do not help as we cant absorb b12, ask for a repeat blood in a few month and if there is no change you should be getting b12 injections 
    • Posted

I don't know my B12 level but the nurse that took my blood set me up an online account I could sign into so I could check my medical records online. But I have to get permission from my GP to be approved and my doctor is off for a week. I'm going to ask for another blood test after I've taken all my tablets after the 28 days. The pharmacist was surprised I wasn't getting an injection when I collected my perscription.
  • Posted

I was put on the tablets for almost a year before anyone thought to check my intrinsic factor and I ended up needing injections.

Go back to your GP if you feel like the symptoms are worsening and if you experience any neurologicial symptoms, be sure to get that seen to ASAP.

• Posted

I'm not too sure if my symtoms are getting better or worse. Sometimes not getting enough sleep or getting too much sleep can change how a normal person feels so sometimes I feel more fatigued than other days. For example I had 11 hours sleep last night and I woke up feeling really tired. All I know is that eating dairy food like cheese and eating meat like chicken fillets gives me a temporary boost of energy until it's used doing an activity and then I go back to feeling like I was before eating.
    • Posted

Oh also, what is intrinsic factor?
  • Posted

Hi John,

very often the reasons we are low in B12 are because our digestive system is unable to absorb it from our food. Intrinsic factor works within our gut to aid absorption.

most of us will need regular injections to replace that B12. Tablets won't work, because they rely on being absorbed via the digestive system, the very reason we are low in the first place. The only people that tablets might help, are vegetarian or vegan, because they are low in B12 through eating a diet lacking foods containing it.

Hope you get more help in the form of injections.

Best wishes

Marion

• Posted

Hey, marion.

I think the reason my GP has put me on tablets instead of injects is because I recently moved out of an abuse household where I had no access to kitchen or living room and moved into emergency accomodation. I've not been able to eat a regular meal in about two to three years. I've been eating a lot more diary and meats which is where I am getting a boost of energy and shall be getting another blood test after the 28 days. If my B12 is still low I shall ask for injections.

• Posted

Is probably comes down to an absorption issue. Use sublinguals and injections. It might probably won't matter what you eat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.