Hey all

Posted , 6 users are following.

44 year old man, in not too bad nick just the usual wear and tear. Just been diagnosed with shingles 5 days ago, given 800 mg aciclovir tablets, 5 a day for 7 days......luckily found this excellent forum and all you lovely poorly people, am feeling pants, the constant chill, feeling tired and sleeping more than usual, sharp pains in my chest where the relatively small rash has appeared and General flu like feeling rubbish symptoms...had a lot of questions on my mind but you have answered them all, must say I am not looking forward to the next couple of weeks/ months it's all a bit gloomy doomy. Any advice anyone can offer would be most appreciated.

Kind regards

Gareth

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gareth 

i was given Amitrptyline ,and codeine/paracetamol .i must say this does help with the pain and to help you sleep ask your doc for some it will help.

good luck hope you feel better soon 

Julie .

• Posted

Cheers for your advice Julie, one more question I need to ask, does the rash spread over the first 3 or 4 days or longer, if it's the former I think I may have got off quite lightly as its only an inch and a half long as wide....would take that considering some of the other stories.

Thanks x

• Posted

Hi.

mine was prob about 2ins by 2ins .so not that bad .it was the pain that was very bad .it took me 6 weeks to be back to normal .but was back working after 3 weeks .

hope that helps 

take care 

Julie 

• Posted

And for the people who work, what sort of timescale are we looking at, I went back today 5 days after the rash first appeared but got sent home as looked/felt terrible...what's other people's exsperience on this, just out of interest.

Cheers.

• Posted

Just thought I'd add a bit to cheer you up. I've had shingles off and on for about 9 years.

I deal with the pain by taking 10mg Amitriptyline daily and Tramadol  as and when needed.

Good luck. I hope you don't get it more than the once.

• Posted

hi mine is mild and recurrs several times a year for maybe 5 years..I'm 55...lysine, mushroom complex and sublingual B12 i found when i searched and searched on some other forum and what a miracle!!!  If i forget to take it and it comes back i take the vitamins and it immediately goes away...One of the bouts a few years ago caused neuraligia and restless leg on the left leg (mine recurs on left buttocks (cant see in bikini even..so small)...i was prescribed neurontin which did nothing but fiorecet did and let me sleep!!!  That only happened once....Mine never hurts much tho..it is so hard to find info on mild recurring strain....
    • Posted

mushroom complex How many mg. how many times a day I all redy take b12
    • Posted

hi im not really sure but just a general mushroom complex and also a coriolis mushroom i bought online ..i think the doses are fairly standard but i did notice one onf them said take four per day but i usually take two...because i am a cheapy and usually try to get by with less..just like with my expensive migraine pill... i can split in thirds and it works too
  • Posted

Hi Gareth

Gosh what a result ! you've had a diagnosis! No pun intended.I'm still under investigation, legal that is of course! I would celebrate as the not knowing is the crap part.I'm sure your going to have some down time for recovery, however your be back to good health in no time.Diagnosis is the best! Still waiting for mine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.