Hey guys i am 19 years old right now and have been experiencing this horror of sleep paralysis

Posted , 2 users are following.

It has been around 7 years now.I went through sleep paralysis when i was 12 yrs old for the first time. I remember the time it was around dawn and i jst wokeup from my sleep,I could hear my mom and brother talk in the balcony outside.Then all of a sudden when i was ready to get out of bed i realised i could not move at all.I felt this strong thud directely onto my chest and i could see everything because my eyes were wide open. I felt something invisible had clenched me and I started to shout out with full power in my throat but my voice was completely inaudible.I was feeling so helpless and i could feel my muscles give up now then all of a sudden everything jst stopped i wished my mom would come inside the room and jst wake me up from all this. I thought it was all over bt inwas wrong then i felt a little relaxed and i tried again this time something made me look onto the ceiling and i remember a pebble was thrown directly onto my face by something I couldn't see.That was scary and then it ended.I called for my mom and she came in the room i was crying. She was scared too when i mentioned the event because we had no idea what had happened.All we could do was connect it to some demonic event that too extremely scary. I was traumatised for many days after that.then it didn't happen for a long time only until we shifted to a new house in a new city

Now things have gotten worse I am 19 now and have it almost everyday during the daytime nap. My every nap ends this way though it does not last for long bt i even have it 2-3 times in a single nap. i cant sleep anymore i am so terrified and I don't know what to do.I cant even express or share it with people bt i feel so bad abt it.I have many experience to share too.

Thank you

3 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jane,

First I'll tell you a little bit about me. I'm a former neuro nurse and I've had sleep paralysis (SP) for 50 years. That means I know quite a lot about it from both sides.

It's not demonic. I'm sure you don't really believe that in your own heart of hearts either. Most of us don't believe in that stuff any more, though I know only too well that it can seem that way when you don't know what's going on.

You've probably done some research on the mechanism of SP but I'll go over it quickly just in case you haven't. If you have, you can just skip the next two paragraphs.

We have two kinds of sleep - dreaming and non-dreaming, and we alternate between them. The dreaming phase is usually called REM sleep, after the rapid eye movements that can be observed through someone's eyelids when they're dreaming. During REM sleep the brain secretes a chemical that paralyses our voluntary muscles, for the very good reason that it wouldn't do at all for everyone to be running round acting out their dreams all night. It's important to remember that it doesn't paralyse the muscles controlled by our autonomic nervous system - the ones that keep us breathing, swallowing, our heart beating, our digestion working etc. They all carry on as normal.

This process can get out of sync. When this happens, the brain keeps secreting the chemical for a few seconds (or occasionally even minutes) after we wake up. The other variant is for it to kick in too early, before we're asleep, but that's less common. This happens to most people a couple of times in their life, but some of us (estimated at 2-5% of the population) experience it on a regular basis.

Some people just get the paralysis, which is quite scary enough. However, about half of us get "lucky" and experience vivid, convincing hallucinations which can involve any of our senses. Mine, like yours, are always tactile - i.e. involving the sense of touch - and usually painful and unpleasant. I occasionally get auditory hallucinations at the start of an episode too. These are mainly running footsteps and doors banging, but can be whooshing sounds - usually accompanied by feeling the draught of the invisible "something" rushing past me.

There's a perfectly logical explanation for all this. SP only occurs when we're coming out of or going into REM sleep, the dreaming phase. This means that when we're in SP the unconscious is on the loose, just as it is when dreaming. Only we're wide awake while all this is going on. Because the experience of waking and finding ourselves unable to move is quite scary enough already, this triggers the unconscious mind to create all kinds of unpleasant hallucinations that feel totally real. You're only being ambushed by your own unconscious.

The fact that we hallucinate in these circumstances doesn't mean we're crazy. SP isn't a mental illness. In fact it's not any kind of illness, just a variant in brain function that quite a lot of us have. Most of us don't talk about it, except to others who have it or sometimes to researchers. That's not surprising. You can hardly introduce this kind of topic into polite conversation, can you?eek

It's perfectly possible to live with this condition once you understand what's going on. The main thing is to identify your own triggers, then avoid them. The one that jumped out at me is that you mentioned it often happens when you're taking an afternoon nap. Me too. I always get it when I'm sleeping over and above my real needs. It often happens when I'm having a long lie-in too. That's obviously one of your triggers, and the answer is simple: no more afternoon naps. The reason for this, btw, is that in periods when our sleep is lighter we spend far more of it in the REM phase.

Paradoxically, some people find they have more episodes if they're not sleeping enough. There can be all kinds of triggers. My No. 1 is getting too warm in the night - that'll set me off every time. Some people find eating certain foods late in the day can trigger attacks. Others are sensitive to electro- or geomagnetic influences too. This isn't all that surprising, considering that the brain works via its own electrical impulses. I was interested to see that your SP suddenly got worse again when you moved house. Mine was always much worse during visits to my parents' house. I suspect this was because there were overhead high-tension cables running only about 20 yards from the house, plus an electrical substation100 yards away. Sleeping too close to electronic devices affects some people too, as well as geomagnetic phenomena generated by things like underground water sources and certain rock formations. And of course, one of the biggest triggers is anxiety - especially the fear of having another attack.

Hard as it is, try not to struggle when you wake in this state. This can actually prolong an attack. That includes trying to scream. The reason you weren't producing any sound is because the larynx is usually paralysed too. I have been known to produce sounds, but I'm told that what I think is a scream is only a strangled squawk! Trying to concentrate on wiggling the last joints of your fingers or the tip of your tongue will often get you out of it quicker.

Many people learn to negotiate with the hallucinations too. Getting angry with "them" or "it" will usually make them worse, though some people find it helps. Simply asking (mentally of course): "What do you want?" works for others. Over the years I've discovered that the best way to keep the hallucinations bearable is to reassure "it", by saying something like it's OK, I like you, I'm not going to hurt you. This isn't as mad as it seems, since the "it" we're dealing with is in fact our own id. Which means "it" in Latin of course. The id is the whiny, immature part of us, which explains why this often works. (If you don't understand any of this, google Sigmund Freud and the id.)

I hope this helps. You can share any experiences you like with me, or ask any questions. However, if you're planning to share unpleasant experiences, please could you private message me, rather than posting them in an open forum. The reason for this is that suggestion plays a huge part in all this, and you risk "infecting" others if you post lurid descriptions of your hallucinations. But you can tell me anything - I'm immune after a lifetime of dealing with this!wink

To send a PM just click on the envelope icon under my avatar. PMs via this site don't carry viruses or expose the identity of either party.

• Posted

Thank you lily for your time and attention.I feel better now afterall this isnt any disease or disorder jst a situation that will get better with time I am sure. Your reply is really useful😊

• Posted

Oops - the gremlins got in. I was going to say it will start to get better once you calm down and start accepting it. It's always worst of all in the early days.

Once you've identified your triggers, you should be able to get it down to a couple of times a week. After that, it declines slowly as you go through life. These days, at age 72, I still get it a few times a month, but not always with hallucinations these days. The upside is that the ability to lucid dream usually goes along with SP. That can be mind-blowing, as you can do anything you want in these dreams and consciously direct them. Sadly that declines with age too and I very rarely have lucid dreams these days.sad

Incidentally, SP is strongly hereditary, though it always has to start somewhere. My father, several of his siblings and his mother all had it. You might find someone in your family has it, or that you pass it on to your children one day.

Although it still has the power to scare me sometimes, I'm glad I have it. It makes me feel a bit special!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.