Hey I'm an a functioning alcoholic and I want to stop I've got a lovely family

Posted , 11 users are following.

My family r so helpful they haven't given up on me yet so I want to do something before they do

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

You are lucky! I have no family, as I was never able to have kids, so that was a big deal. No way did it affect my drinking however. TSM is the only way to go! The book: Cure for Alcoholism is a must read. But in the end you must embrace the reality. If not, forget about it.
  • Posted

If you have reached rock bottom like I had then it is time to stop. I was further than you and had an ultimatum: leave the house of stop and I did. Stopped 5 1/2 years ago.
  • Posted

Hello Louise... are you there? 

Tell us a bit about your drinking, I'm sure there are some here that have traveled a similar path. The solution to your problem might be quite a bit easier than you think, but please check in and let us know we're not shouting out into space. 

• Posted

I too was a functioning alcoholic for years. I'd wake up and go to my 9 to 5 job, just waiting to get off to go get a couple glasses of whiskey. I told myself that drinking after 5 was no big deal, everyone does. I use to start at 11 on the weekends and end around 12 AM. After I began to notice that I was missing out/not remembering my kids growing up I decided to try and change. I found one of the most helpful things for me was to go exercise after work instead of going to get a bottle of bourbon. It took my mind off that bottle a bit. It dosnt have to be exercise but find something that you can do to replace some of the drinking. Hope this tip help a little and stick with it!

• Posted

What happened? No reaction after 9 days and lots of replies?
    • Posted

What is BS? TSM works well for many people. However it certainly isn’t “the only way to go”

?Robin and myself can vouch for that.

Are you saying that the replies Louise has received are BS? Or have I misunderstood what you mean by BS?

• Posted

I think he meant that OP evaporated, Vicks. 
    • Posted

Hi ADE

I took it that he thought the advice and replies to OP were BS, so not worth OP responding haha.

Your understanding of his reply makes sense now, thanks.

It irritates me when the OP never responds back. Mind you, lots of things seem to irritate me these days. I’m getting old and grumpy lol!

• Posted

I think some of them might have forgotten that they posted, some lost their cell phone, etc. Sometimes they do come back...
  • Posted

You're so happy to have a loving family! We are your supporting team as well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.