HFE Heterozygote and Niacin

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

I’ve decided to make this post in hopes that it may help someone avoid a complication that I experienced. Background: In 2008 after routine blood work my GP called me in “STAT” because of elevated LFT’s. AST-1538, ALT-831. At the time I was taking Niacin 2000mg/day for high cholesterol for about 7 yrs.  My GP referred me to an internist who ordered iron studies. They were high, Iron Sat 67%, SGGT-847, LDH-869, Transferrin was low-160, as was TIBC-224. I had genetic testing and I am heterozygous for C282Y. I ceased taking all meds and began phlebotomys. After about six units (a few weeks) all levels returned to normal. A few months later my cholesterol rose and I once again began taking Niacin 2000mg/day along with other supplements such as fish oil and multi-vitamins. A few weeks ago, after months of “not feeling right”, my LFT’s began to rise along with my Ferritin, AST-315, ALT-323, Ferritin-673.  I immediately stopped taking Niacin and supplements- NO PHLEBOTOMY. All levels are now normal. I began researching any correlation between Niacin and liver issues and discovered that Niacin in higher doses is toxic to the liver. 

So, if you’re taking high doses of Niacin and present with symptoms of iron overload, ask your doctor to evaluate niacin induced liver toxicity.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Mark the more we learn the better, I already know more than my GP, When a mere four months ago I was facing my first venesection and still believed someone had made a mistake... Thank you for highlighting niacin with your post. P. S. Multi vitimins is an absolute no no for those of us with HH.
    • Posted

Hi Ellen, thanks for the reply. I agree that the medical community at large is very uneducated about HH, which is surprising given that it is the most common genetic mutation and the severity of the potential damage it could cause. Perhaps it’s the “low Penetrance” meaning only a small amount of people with HH become symptomatic. I am concerned about the number of people with HH then are either not diagnosed or misdiagnosed. 

Regarding my earlier post, I reference Niacin as the guilty party but there are a multitude of other possible offenders like vitamin A, B12, etc. that if taken in large doses, over time, may cause the same reaction. Hopefully this information will help those that find themselves in a similar situation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.