HFM in 24 yr old, covered head to toe, very ill

Posted , 2 users are following.

On Tuesday I noticed my tonsils were up, as were the other glands around my neck, which is not unusual for me. By Tuesday night I had a terrible headache, fever and started vomiting. On Wednesday morning I had a rash on my forehead and some tenderness on my tongue and self diagnosed myself with shingles. I was exhausted and went to sleep but when I woke up I found that my whole face and neck were covered in chicken pox like sores.

I saw my GP on Thursday morning who diagnosed HFM as I now had sores on the soles of my feet and hands, but I showed the DR that I was also starting to get them EVERYWHERE else. She said I wouldn’t get it badly being an adult and I should just dose up and go back to work (as a care assistant for the elderly.) This now seems like a ludicrous suggestion considering how infectious it seems.

It’s now Saturday my tongue is swollen, every inch of me is covered in these yellow or red sores, and I mean EVERY inch including my scalp (which is the most painful) and my genitals. I have them up my nose, in my ears and my eyes....everywhere. Painkillers aren’t touching it, bonjella only helps for a few minutes and I quite honestly have never felt this ill.

It seems a shame looking at this site, that Dr’s are so willing to dismiss adults with the infection, when apparently we CAN get it severely.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Siobhancharlotte, I cetainly sympathise with you as I am watching my 19 yr old suffering with the same thing! She caught them from my baby granddaughter, the baby bounced back. but my daughter has been ill now for a week. Like yourself covered in the spots/blisters, hobbling around on sore feet, not eating because of the ulcers in mouth. I have never seen this before, and it actually looks really painful. Not much info from docs other than its rare for adults to get hfm and usually its very mild. Hope you feel better soon!
  • Posted

i'm 33 and am just at the tail end of a relatively mild case (scalp and feet are still painful but I am otherwise feeling okay and the throat feels almost normal again).

your comment about being sent back to work was of interest - I am an NHS employee working in the community and was told by my occupational health department to not think about coming back to work until all the spots have gone. i was also told not go to my GPs surgery unless symptoms worsen and medical attention is required as i was only going to risk spreading the virus further by being out of the house...

• Posted

Hi, within the last 3 days i have caught hand foot and mouth of my son. watcing him in agony was horrible and now i have it myself i know how much pain he was in (especially if they get it worse). When i went to the doctors he diagnosed me as having a throat infection and told me to gargle on soluble aspirin. since then i have the spots appearing on my fingers and toes and they are beginning to feel very sore. I am not at the stage where they cover my body but if they do will the doctor give me anything or will he just say ride it out. Everywhere i have searched dismisses the adult version as mild, painless and so on. but to be honest when the pain killers wear off i am in complete agony with my throat and them soluble aspirin things seem to burn my throut even more. any advice of what to expect next would be great.

Regards

Danny

• Posted

Hi I have had this all week since Friday, I have been burning up at night and the ulcers in my throat and mouth are agony... I have been using Difflam and Corsydl Mouthwash which has helped no end plus taking Allicin and Echinacea plut the Amoxicillin the Doc gave me for the recent chest infection i had... Adults only get it when there immune system has been supressed fighting something else...

I am only eating Chicken Noodle soup and Rice Pudding (organic) plus I have tried oat milk for the first time and that cools your throat no end...

I am in quarantine hiding away from my little boy and wife which is sad but I don't want them being ill...

The fever and aches on Friday had me thinking I have swine flu, HFM is not nice and I hope some of the above will help... oh I am also taking Paracetemol and nurofen... everyday chemist me! lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.