HFMD - not a mild virus!

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello all - 

I’m in the midst of HMFD. It looks to be on its way out. But boy this was NOT a mild virus like the websites and my doctor said it would be. It started out normal, but wow did it itch and burn!  Here’s what I experienced and what OTC remedies I used. I contracted it from my 1 year old niece and she had a much milder case than I did! 

Day 1: mild sore throat and 101 fever 

Day 2: searing terrible sore throat, 101 fever and red spots on back of throat. 

Day 3: little red pimples, super itchy, started appearing on my fingers. 

Day 4: full blown red spots and blisters on hands and feet. One blister on my tongue, and no more red spots on my throat. My hands were so itchy I thought I was going to pass out. I also developed a ring of scabs / bumps around my ears, beneath my hair, and sort of around the hairline in the back of my head. Not itchy at all but really dry and scabby. 

Day 5: same as day 4, although my feet started to swell where the red spots and blisters were. Miserable! 

Day 6: itching has fully disappeared but red spots and blisters are still here. They are dry now. No pain or burning any longer, but some tenderness. 

What remedies I used: 

Nyquil (day one and two only, as I thought I had a cold) 

Antihistamine - helped a lot! (After day one and two when I knew it was HFMD, and only sparingly, as I had a prescription anti-inflammatory I used instead for the remaining days). 

Lavender oil - small soothingness 

Aloe Vera gel - my saviour 

Oats and water - made into a paste and applied to hands and feet - also my saviour! 

Head and shoulders shampoo for my scalp scabs. 

It was hour by hour what would help. In the end only the oats and water and the anti-inflammatory would ease the itching long enough for me to nap. 

Folks this is a TERRIBLE virus! 

I hope it all goes away soon. At least I’m not itching anymore! I don’t wish this on anyone. Geez what an ordeal. 

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.