HFS and noise in left ear

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had HFS for 15 years and have had 2 unsuccessful MVD operations. One of my most distressing symptoms is a continous noise in my left ear (it's left side of my face which is affected).

Some days this noise is really really difficult to live with and very often makes sleeping difficult.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so do you have any suggestions to alleviate this symptom?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane900,

I've had the windy, pulsating noise in my left ear for years too. Its annoying when bedtime, so I turn my head to the right. Its easier to fall asleep without the flappy noises.

During the day, the frequent echo is unavoidable.

As the years go by, one learns to accept that the emotional response we generate inside our psyche can be lessened as its our ego at work. The people we meet hardly bother as they don't share our own emotion.

Take care. Life goes on!

Windhurt.

• Posted

Hi Jane, I believe what you're describing is tinnitus and I know that a few people have been left with this following MVD surgery - some people also report this symptom before having surgery unfortunately.  It must be very upsetting alongside the continued spasms - you must have been bitterly disappointed after unsuccessful surgery.  I don't know much about this medically, but wonder whether Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) might be helpful in allowing you to accept it and deal with it?  It must drive you crazy and I hope you will find some relief via your doctor.  Will you consider a third surgery in the hope of killing all birds with one stone?  

• Posted

Hi

what kind of noise is it? I get a flickering sound in my ear if I tilt my head in a certain direction,but it is not constant. If it happens when I am in bed, I put that war on the pillow

• Posted

Hi Jane, I sympathize with you! I had MVD surgery in February and I am still having spasms and in addition to that I have significant hearing loss. Two weeks ago I started with constant humming in my left ear. I am not getting any support or recommendations from the surgeon's office. I went to a ENT and am back on steroids but it is not helping the humming! I read that it could be stress so I 'm trying to find ways to reduce stress. Good luck

• Posted

Hi PJ Girl, really sorry to hear that you've still got spasms after operation - seemingly it can take a number of months for the operation to be fully effective - so good luck.

?In my case the spasms never went away and I don't think that i could face another operation.

?I've had a constant noise in my left ear for a long time now - somedays are worse than others and when it's bad sleeping is difficult!! 

• Posted

Jane, have you tried a sound machine. I read a couple of articles that say the sound of a fan or water will lessen the sound in the ear and can help you sleep. I also read an article that said to turn on a fan and it can help drown out the constant humming and can help some people sleep.  I hope you find some relief soon. I will put you in my prayers.
    • Posted

Where did you have you're surgery,I an having mine on the 19th June,any good tips x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.