HH and now anaemic

Posted , 5 users are following.

Discovered HH in my 50,s now 69 -ferritin reduced from 3800 to 400 .Now become anaemic due to the blood letting.Had a scary experience the last time I gave blood.

What should I do and what is an acceptable ferritin level.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would ask your DR if you  should slow down the Phlebotomies.  I had a similar problem, I when from 690 ferritin to 30 in 6 months.  I was really sick the whole time and weak, light headed etc...Because my levels dropped so low, I am to stop treatment for 6 months and follow up with new blood tests at the end of the 6 months and see where I stand.  It took 2 months from my last treatment to feel better and 4 months later I feel much better.....

So again check with your DR...but that was my experience....

• Posted

Iron avidity happens to us as well.  Your ferritin is still high at 300. What is your other numbers that makes you think your anemic?
  • Posted

It could be that your haemoglobin is low.  You need to keep eating natural foods that contain iron, like meat (if you are not a vegetarian), and dark green vegetables.   Possibly you are, but a lot of people with HH are told to stop eating them which is wrong - it only reduces your haemoglobin and makes venesections a problem.

• Posted

Need more details about your health and treatment you have under gone

there is many forms of anemia which type do you have?

Scary experience?

target for ferrtin is under 50 which you then enter management phase so you may only need to go few times a year they also class this as having no signs of active haemochromatisis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.